DASHBOARD WARNING LIGHT

230

Asked by Aug 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Venture LS

My 04 Venture just started showing the warning light...red color has me leaving it parked in my laneway until I can figure out how serious it is. I've searched the Internet but not yet found an answer. Can anyone tell me what code means and whether I can drive or should tow it to repair shop. Thanks for the help.

143,015

I found this image looking for Venture dash warning lights. It's a low fuel warning, but your gauge shows far from where it should be lit. You have over a half tank -if gauge is right-- Don't worry, drive it, just put gas in until you can get it to a shop to find out which is wrong --gauge or light. Sometimes a bad ground will throw off one or the other. Towing it is a waste of money, simply unnecessary

143,015

What's interesting also is in the image I found the analog needle is in the same place as yours. Hmmm... According to Edmunds.com that car holds 25 US gallons, and going by the marks on gauge you have about 14 gallons in it now. If you fill up and it takes 25-14 = 11 gallons to fill up. If you fill up and it accepts anywhere from 9 to 12 and the gauge goes to full, then it's just the light coming on when it's not supposed to.

143,015

http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/chevrolet/chevrolet-venture-owners-manuals/ I downloaded the manual and it conflicts with what I have posted. I could be way off the mark, that window is the message center and I did not see that symbol anywhere

58,405

Chevy venture,s have this problem,most of the time it,s no big deal,if your guage is right,it is the sending unit in the tank,reading wrong,giving you the idiot light.

230

Car took about a quarter of a tank. Gauge was pretty accurate. FYI: Car in for servicing last week. All fluids checked out at that time. After light came on, I rechecked the fluids and looked for leaks under the car. Second thing I did was check service manual. The service manual (see attached for example of what appears in s.m.) for fuel is not the same as appeared in my previous post. My suspicion is that there is an ground short somewhere. Thanks to many for valuable insights. I'll update on my experience to fill the Internet void on this somewhat mysterious warning light.

143,015

But TST the arcs that look like parentheses with (O) is a generic symbol for brakes. It's in a message center window. Low brake fluid? I know fenway (I hate the Yankees) you said all fluids checked, but sure on brake fluid? Sometimes when they say all fluids they do coolant, and sometimes not even that, don't want to pop a hot radiator..motor oil, transmission and forget or too lazy to check power steering, brake fluid. I am not calling you wrong TST, very well could be that.. just thinking of other possibilities

58,405

I have discoverd what this light is,low coolant resivoir.

143,015

Good work TST. Thia one has had me frustrated

Best Answer
58,405

My buddy at the GM dealer said they didnt put this in the owner,s manual,he said they make alot of money off that light.

11,375

Here is a post I put in two questions just today only about GM vehicles about the same year manufactured: I have the same problem in my 2004 Buick Terraza. It is the sending unit in the gas tank. GM wants around $600 to change it out. They say the tank has to be pulled, emptied and aired out to open the tank up to remove the sending unit. What I do is fill up after 300 miles and not worry. When I fill it, no matter if I fill it full or part way, it goes to empty for a while and finally moves up slowly after 1/8 tank is gone, it acts normal again. But don't trust it after 3/4 of the tank is gone. It will show 1/4 tank but will move to empty within 10 or 20 miles. Use the mileage reading to know when to fill it. I get a check engine light that comes on and will stay on for a couple of drives. I had it checked twice and was told it was the gas tank sending unit showing it was bad. $125 charge to read the check engine light, but I'd get it back if they did the work. Been that way for over 6 years. It was under warranty at first,but the dealership put me off until it was past warranty. :-( told me I had to leave the car for 5 days and get no rental replacement. I couldn't afford to do that so never got it fixed.

230

Follow-Up: I took van to mechanic today. The warning light was identified by as low brake fluid signal. Reason light coming on was attributed to a faulty proportioning value. Replaced by mechanic who bled brakes and topped up brake fluid as part of repair. Light is now staying off.