Stabilitrak, traction control issues

Asked by Jun 28, 2016 at 12:07 AM about the 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT

I have a 2012 Chevy Impala with about 130,000
miles on it. About a week ago whenever I make a
left turn the traction control light and abs light
would come on and then go back off. Now when I
make the left hand turn it tells me to service
stabilitrak,  service traction control and service
brake assist. I changed my brakes this morning
still no luck. Can somebody help me please
because I don't have all this money to be spending
out!

105,355

The system will have to be checked to find out how many sensors are setting codes, could be bad sensors, could be broken wiring or even a processor problem.

76,295

I think it is an indication of a bad wheel bearing assembly, (hub assy.) if you get the car scanned for codes it would tell you where the problem is. It is possible there is a bad wire at the wheel sensor like tennisshoes says.

100

I also have a 2012 Impala and have the same issue. I thought it was related to my battery which died and needed to be replaced, but the lights come back. I hear a noise and have hesitation when I turn the wheel to the left.

400

Same issue one my 2013 Impala never replace the wheel hubs the bearings and still the same problem it's kind of hesitant and it sounds almost like a grinding noise and then the traction control symbol comes on the dashboard and it says service stabilitrak any suggestions?

76,295

Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing and if it is grinding then it is getting hot, so it fried the wheel sensor. Replacing the wheel bearing hub assembly has the new wheel speed sensor on it.

190

Same issue with my 2010 impala , bought used from a place that had 08-12 models . Every single one I test drove did the same hesitating vibration then shoots off , as well as the service stabilitrak abs on the dash on left turns only . Also noticing a grinding noise like a low power steering pump whine when turning the wheel left even slightly on straight roads and any speed . On occasions I also get a loud front end noise sounds almost like i hit something then the abs light would come on

50

same issue, and noise from left front wheel

76,295

Check your wheel bearings. If the ABS light is on getting the codes read saves a lot of time, the codes tell you what could be wrong, and which wheel to look at. Checking for a bad wheel bearing is a manual process, seeing if there is any play in the wheel at the bearing.

70

Always left front wheel. When stabilitrak warning light is on, gear indicator does not show which gear I am in and car will not accelerate. I HAVE had the car serviced. NO codes show up. Brakes and bearings are good. And this problem seems to be pervasive.....so many posts about it. One poster noted that it started after the ignition recall work was done and, though it may be coincidental, mine started after that, too, though this might just indicate a mileage correlation.

160

2011 Chevrolet Impala LTZ - Just had new inner and outer tire rods replaced, new brakes and an alignment. Still get ABS, service StabiliTrack, and service brake traction control indicator lights. Car is driving fine though. Where/How do I get the sensor codes checked.

76,295

You can get this done at an auto parts store. Make sure and ask if their scanner is capable of reading ABS codes. You want the ABS codes since that will tell you where the problem is and what to look for. Write down the codes.

40

Hey everyone I had the same problem with my 2013 Chevy impala what I did was just turn the traction button off and had no problem the only thing is that you have to control your car manual which mean if he rain or snow you have to really be able to control the wheel

40

(Cadillac 32). I have a 2012 Impala have changed all 4 hub bearing assemblies twice still have the same grinding sound Turn off Trac control light it come back on. Next going to change the back struts to see if that stop the grind in town

160

I have a 2014 Chevy impala when making left turn or reversing it makes grinding noise makes the car come to a stop. Also turned off traction control now it comes back on itself and it literally stops car. Please help don't have money to take to dealer

190

Same issue here guru .. it seems to be intermittent as well..

150

My Impala does the same thing. Grinding with left turns, unless I remember to turn the traction control off. Is there a way to make the traction control stay off? Sometimes I get the service ABS/stabilitrack too.

90

I have a 2013 Chevy Impala with the same problems, 'service ABS/Stabilitrack, grinding noise, decreased power and car will nearly stop on you from time to time, particularly when turning. Taken to dealership, more than one, they GET NO CODES on diagnostic. It can't be fixed, except to turn off stabilitrack button and keep turning it off. Really needs to be a recall.

20

Also have a 2013 Chevy Impala with the same issues. My daughter is a manager at auto zone so knows several mechanics, one of them had my car up on a rack all day and checked everything that he could get his hands on and my car is in great condition. No codes come up.

20

my 2013 ltz impala does everything that i have been reading here. i replaced both front hub assemblies, all the pads and had the rotors turned. still, all the issues as before. it was so bad at one point, i could not get the system reset when all the warnings came on and the computer had control of the car. there has to be a way to totally disable the computer and leave the driving to us!

30

2014 Impala, started car and the car vibrated like it was idling very rough, once I put it in gear and moved the vibration quit. I turned off the car, restarted it and was ok but then the Stabilitrak Service needed message came on. Come on Chevy - do a recall!

150

Got the lights to come on with a scanner plugged in while driving...it produced these 3 codes.

105,355

reidman709 so now you need to check all the computer wiring looking for a broken wire, then if the wiring and grounds check good then it is either a BCM or ECM failure, in rare case I have seen both fail caused by a voltage problem.

230

Goodness at all of the time and money you people are spending on the wrong thing. Your ABS wiring harness has a short in it. When you turn the wheel you have a wire separating and it causes the warning light and the noise that you hear. You need to replace the ABS wheel speed sensor wiring harness. 40 dollars. This is such a known problem at Chevrolet that they keep both sides in stock.

70

I have the 2010, Impala with ABS and service stabilitrak lights on. After replacing the right Hub and Bearing assembly the same lights were illuminated and the code checker still pointed towards intermittent or no signal from the right front sensor. After tracing the wiring harness down to the point where the smaller plastic protector joins to the larger plastic protector (just beneath the alternator), there is a small gap (about 1 inch) between the large and smaller plastic protectors. In the gap the wires were unprotected except for some black tape wound around the area. I noticed the tape was worn and I removed the tape to expose the wires. One of the two wires (lighter colored one) in this instance had been rubbing up against the frame and wore through the insulation and only one small strand of wire was still intact. I cut and spliced the wire back together and all lights extinguished.

2012 Impala...get the Service Stabilitrak, Service Brake Assist, Service Traction control messages. Don't have the money to have it looked at and repaired. I just turn off the traction control everytime i start the car. Don't recall when it started...i think i may've been after i took the car for inspection. IRONIC. At that time, the mechanic said my tires barely passed. I have since had them replaced and still get the same messages.

90

I have a 2012 Impala with 69,000 miles on it that had the same problem. Took it to Chevy dealer and they replaced the "wiring harness connection to LF wheel speed sensor". It took care of the problem. They said it did not show any codes on their scanner when tested before replacement. It was still under my extended warranty so I only paid the deductible. Otherwise the cost would have been $353.15 This was at a dealership in Omaha. Hope this helps someone.

20

Same with my 2012, Impala. Took to dealer and they said it is the abs harness!!! Now, on to customer servicecat General Motors!!!!

It happened all the time on my 2013 impala they told me it was a bad wheel bearing but when my brother in law and I checked it no noise and no play so I noticed my tires were at 4/32 but almost too the wear bar so I replaced my cheap tires with a set of xenen 70,000 mile tires and have not had an issue since.

10

My stabilitrak light keep coming on but the ABS light is not on I have an 2009 impala ss

I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CAR

60

I found the problem on my 2014 impala limited LTZ. Its was the abs wire that connects to the wheel bearing. Look for a part that's separated. When turning sharp in these models it pulls on this wire cause them to wear and lose connection.

60

19.99 on amazon. or cut and butt splice. Quit wasting your money on bearings, and Chevy dealerships.

10

Joe is correct, my 2014 limited did the same thing, it was a break in the wire from hub sensor to computer about 3 inches from the sensor connector. You can buy the piece of the wire harness on rock auto and splice it in, that was easiest. Where the harness armored cable is connected to the suspension closet to the sensor connector, I used a heavy duty zip tie with some slack in it to prevent the cable from pinching when wheel is turned all the way either direction

Ok I have a 11 impala LTZ device traction control/stabilitrak/brake system lights are now on - problem is my brakes have to be pushed to the floor there is no resistance in the pedal at all - brakes/rotors are only a few months old - could this be the sensor or wiring as well?? Help please single mom on a budget that doesn’t have money to keep paying for diagnostic

105,355

As the lights are on there is a code stored, so swing by someplace like autozone and have the codes pulled, write them down and repost them back here, that will give some idea on where to start, you don't want to just putting parts on it in hopes that you will inadvertently find the problem. Have you checked the brake fluid level in the master cylinder?

5

In my case the ABS light and the TCS off lights come on simultaneously for a few seconds, while the DIC says TCS off, then the DIC says TCS on and the two lights go out. The next time I turn tight it repeats the same pattern. I will admit I get the DIC error message Service Stabilitrak message maybe once every couple of days, but it is only there a few seconds and is gone again for another two or three days when it appears for a few seconds again. I have a 2012 Chevy Impala LTZ (SVS) with approx. 135,000 kms. When I try turning off the TCS the DIC indicates I am in Performance Mode and the TCS off is lit on the dash.

I got the exact problem with mine. I'm taking it to get tested when I can because it's annoying when I take off half the time the car is beeping at me and most of the time left turns set it off

Also I read about wire harnesses on this discussion and that's hit or miss. I've replaced 2 and it didn't help with my problems