2011 VW Touareg V6 Tdi starting problems

Asked by Dec 05, 2015 at 08:27 PM about the 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive

The vehicle tumbles for a few seconds the starts with a cloud of whitish - grey
smoke. Some times I have to stop the vehicle from tumbling so that the
battery doesn't run down.
Within recently the proble, has gotten far worse .. Now once I park the vehicle
and shut it off it is a challenge vto start it back . It tumbles for a prolong
period of time and starts with a cloud of greyish - sometimes white smoke.
Contacted the dealership and they indicated that the compression is low in
the engine that the cause of the problem. Vehicle is only doing 42000 miles
when it started happening. Now I am on 51k miles. I am not very confident in
the dealerships assessment and I would appreciate any assistance form

trouble with those touareg's is they have a cylinder that tends to go bad. Try replacing the coil packs and spark plugs especially on the number 1 cylinder. this should fix the issue.

Hi Mine is a diesel so there is no spark plugs but there is glow plugs . Nor do I think it would have a coil pack .

sorry i missed that was half asleep righting an answer lol. Any ways the problem is your starter or your battery. the battery has to be a specific imported one some called a Varta battery, so if you replaced it recently with a normal one this issue will start happening. The other issue is the starter if its not cranking 280rpms it will cause the white smoke and starting issues.

How can I check to see if my starter is doing 280 rpms? I did change the battery from the original Varta battery as I thought it was a battery issue. I replaced it with a TRAC din 100 which is what the dealership recommended , the problem still existed. Let's say that the starter is not doing the 280 rpms how do I fix that ? Do I have to purchase a new starter or can it be adjusted ? What about the low compression that the dealership spoke about the told me it is as a result of the head. Attached is the results of the compression test that was done ? Do you think there is any validity in what the dealership is saying ?

well as for the low compression that could be caused by the improper voltage regulation. i would take the battery back to the vw dealer and have them replace it with the proper battery. as for the starter unfortunately when these things go they usually have to be replaced. If you still have warranty its covered. if not your buying new and that's not cheap. have them replace the starter and glow plugs and see if that fixes it. tho with my previous experience with the dealer you will get a nose bleed before you get them to replace something under warranty. so just ask to trouble shoot the starter and make sure its cranking the engine enough for its initial start up. If they refuse to look at what your doing just say OK the media will love to hear more about you honoring service warranty's