Power Issue

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 10:05 AM about the 2011 Toyota Corolla S

My Corolla has started exhibitng weird behavior.  It is losing power at times, luckily
only when I'm stopped and about to back up, or slowly trying to park.  A few times it
has totally died and I;ve had to turn it back on.  Today, the radio and my phone
charging stopped for a second and then started back up again.  Meaning, the radio
went out, and my phone beeped again as if I just plugged it in.
A few days ago, about every light on the dash flashed on for a second and then off

Ideas?  Advice?

Thanks in advance

Check your battery connections,and have the battery load tested and the alternator checked.

Hi TST. Good morning. Dilkin .... Second opinion, same. Sounds like battery cable connections, and the factory batteries are junk. Toyota's "True Start' batteries don't last, and 3 years is not unusual for them to fail. Just long enough to get past warranty. It wouldn't hurt to get an OBDII scan, while you are having the battery and alternator tested. does not matter if your CEL , Check Engine Light has lit up or not. If you do decide to get the scan, which most parts houses will do free, you will get codes that begin with P and four numbers. But don't buy anything -yet - especially electrical parts you may not need and can not be returned. bring the codes, if any, back here and one of us will be happy to help. If no DTC codes, need to know that too.

Hello Fordnut,good advice.

It seems like 6 months ago or so when I had to jump someone, there was a lot of corrosion on my battery connectors. I have a wire brush, maybe I'll start with scrubbing them clean.

That would be a good start.: )

It really isn't happy when I'm idling and am in reverse. It nearly stalled, or lost power 5 times in a 30 second time lapse as I was trying to back into a parking spot just a bit ago. My phone beeps everytime I plug it into the charger in the car so I know when its happening. Also, I lose power steering so thats a clue too. Luckily, this only happens in the morning at work. Been too busy to mess with trying to clean the battery connectors this week but maybe tonight!. Just thought I'd post an update. Thanks!

This is what my battery looked like. I cleaned all that "gunk" off and coincidently I didn't experience the issue this morning. *knocks on wood*