I have a 1990 cadillac coup deville eldorado. I have owned it for several years but all of the sudden the security system will go off randomly. I have to manually unlock the doors and leave it unlocked. Sometimes it works and other times it does not. When it doesn't work, the battery is drained by morning. Can I disable the security system? If so how?

Asked by Dec 29, 2016 at 03:50 PM about the 1990 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Coupe

I have a 1990 cadillac coup deville eldorado.  I have owned it for several years
but all of the sudden the security system will go off randomly.  I have to
manually unlock the doors and leave it unlocked.  Sometimes it works and
other times it does not.  When it doesn't work, the battery is drained by
morning.  Can I disable the security system? If so how?

69,445

You either have a Coupe deVille or an Eldorado. They're two different models. Anyhow, you also have the VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System). The most common trouble with these systems is the ignition lock cylinder. If you manually lock the doors the security system will not set. There's no way to disable or bypass the security system. HTH. -Jim

So how do you fix it then just asking because i have the same problem

You would need to replace the Lock Cylinder assembly. It has the " Key Reader" built into it. Or you can Ohm Out the key and put a resistor of the same value at the plug into the pcm wiring harness.