I have a 1990 Cadillac Eldorado with a 4.5 litre gas engine. When the car is running there is a very strong smell like gas out of the exhaust pipe and seems to get stronger as the car is driven more.

Asked by Jul 28, 2015 at 05:45 PM about the 1990 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Coupe

The smell of gas gets worse when I park the car after driving it for awhile. There are no gas leaks anywhere on the car and the smell of gas seems to come from under the car  or the exhaust system.

56,855

Sounds like a hose for the EVAP system is leaking. The EVAP system pulls gasoline fumes from the gas tank into the engine to be burned instead of releasing them to the atmosphere. If you can't see anything disconnected or damaged take it in for a smoke test. This will pinpoint a vapor leak. Since your Cadillac is OBD I (pre-1996 model) it probably won't trigger the check engine or service engine soon light. HTH. -Jim