Instrument Cluster Repair

20

Asked by Sep 03, 2014 at 04:10 PM about the 1998 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

Recently had a new engine put in and the Car runs great. About three weeks later, I lost the center portion of the instrument cluster; only the fuel range on the left and the climate control on the right display. No gear selection, MPH, or any other info in the center such as tach, battery, or Oil life. Found one from the junk yard and plugged it in. Worked great for about 5 minutes and then once again I had the same symptoms as the  original instrument cluster. Is there something else in the system or  upstream in the circuit of the car effecting the Instrument Cluster and causing it to fail?
Thank you All

I just finished the Dash Cluster repair on my 1997 Deville. Paid $50 for a used cluster on ebay. Used my old cluster assy. unit. But replaced the center portion(Speedometer, DIC,gas gage,etc.).If you do not use your old cluster assy. you will get a message saying theft deterant system - and car will not start. The repair is easyer than it sounds.

20

Hi I picked one up swapped it out and got that theft warning like you said so I've split it open. Do we transfer the display and the board directly attached to it on the back? or remove the board and just use the display portion? I know the cars got a brain/ memory in there somewhere :)

You must use ALL of your old cluster except the center portion. Swap the center display that shows the speedometer etc. If tou need to call me 704-538-8058 My name is Kerry

Be very careful not to short out any part of the cluster. You should have the neg. battery cable OFF by now..Book says to also remove the airbag fuse behind rear seat/from the trunk.GOODLUCK

I took a picture of the part of my cluster that i replaced with the used one that i bought.

20

Thanks Kerry for your help. I think there is a good chance there is a little more wrong with this car. the cluster worked for about 3minutes and then went dark. I will be digging deeper into this to find the problem. Thanks again, were eliminating issues one by one. :)

110

Hi, i just replace the whole cluster, and it shows just like the picture, and the car does not start, what do I need to do ? thank you !

110

40

Hey, ok I have a 98 Cadillac Deville and I did Used my old cluster assy. unit. But replaced the center portion now everything comes on, however now the speed shows 0 even if I am driving and the mileage is not incrementing, it is stuck on 126,868. How can I fix that?

60

This problem can be repaired. Visit http://www.mrwhizard.com for more info.

I have a short circuit on the middle circuit board not a blank display. I get the starting disabled prompt like any replaced unit. Can I switch that new middle board into the old cluster just like you are doing with the speedometer display board? Does it have to be reprogramed for the new key chip? I have been trying to fix this for 6 weeks