2000 deville over heating

Asked by Mar 16, 2015 at 11:25 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille DTS

my car is over heating I have replaced
the water pump some hoses the water
pump pulley the radiator the
thermostat 2x then took it out what
else could it be I am running outta
options with it and it's my only my Dr
of transportation at this time

61,305

It's most likely a blown head gasket. These cars are notorious for head gasket failure. Have the cooling system tested for combustion gasses in the coolant. If it tests positive you've got a blown head gasket. You'll be looking at upwards of $3500 to fix it correctly. The engine must come out, from the bottom, along with the transmission. The heads can NOT be removed from the top. If that's what it turns out to be, in my opinion, it's not worth fixing. HTH. -Jim

Where do I do that at

And it is not showing the tell tell signs that that's what's wrong it's like the water ain't circulating

You can get a cooling system test at autozone. Listen when we say it's really most likely head gasket failure, or subsequent damage to head or block as caused by gasket failure. The NorthStar engine in these Cadillac's just came out shitty all the way around. And don't get me wrong, I love our 97 white on white ragtop! Nothing cleaner and ugh rides like a magic carpet! But I'll be damned if it doesn't leak oil like we have an endless supply of dinosaurs! Any half ass decent mechanic to the most certified master tech will tell you the same thing. There are many different symptoms of failure. Take out a spark plug, crank the engine, see liquid squirts in the hole. "milk shake" oil? Sweet smell in exhaust. The only way to know for sure is to remove the head. the gaskets pretty inexpensive, you're paying for hours of back breaking labor, and mechanics charge accordingly... Hope this helps, even for just a laugh!!

61,305

Any reputable shop should be able to test it for you. If they don't know what you're talking about move on to another shop. HTH. -Jim

Huh? Could I use blue devil.if the head gasket is the case?

61,305

Blue Devil is a "Band-Aid" as are all stop leak products. If you decide to go that route the bottle must state that it can be used on Northstar engines. Older versions of Blue Devil were not for use in Northstars. You must follow the directions on the bottle EXACTLY or it won't work. I work for NAPA and some of our customers have had success with this product. I can't say specifically on Northstars but on blown head gaskets in general this product has worked. If you're looking for a few more months or another year out of this car it's worth a try. But keep in mind you'll be running on borrowed time. Whether it works for you or not, I'd start saving for another car. HTH. -Jim

5

there are other fixes for the gasket look them up on the internet some may cost 180.00 but it will say for northstar