2000 Cadillac deville won't shift out of park

100

Asked by Jun 30, 2014 at 03:23 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille Base

The shifter moves but won't come out of park

60,275

Its, your safety swicth,under dash at brake petdal,if it is bad shifter will not move.

146,545

T_S_T I think she means the shifter moves, goes in gear, but transmission stays in Park. Correct me if I'm wrong Angela...? In that case, the linkage has come apart.

Best Answer
60,275

Yes, you may be right f.n,it,s all in how you read it : )

146,545

Yep. Angela...?

100

Yeah the shifter moves but the light stays in park

60,275

I f car move,s,goe,s in to gear,it is just the pointer on your shifter bad,it is a littls cable that has come loose at shifter.

146,545

Agreed.

100

Car doesn't move,it's not going into gear when you move the shifter it's suppose to move out of park but it's not

60,275

If you mean,car wont move but shifter will,first you better check trainssmission fluid,if it is good,check as fordnut said,check linkage

100

Thanks I'm going to check t.f If it's ok might be linkage

50

I have the same problem with an 05 DeVille. The shifter inside moves, the linkage is ok and it still does not engage in gear or move the indicator on the dash???????????????

10

I don't no

10

The brake shifter is jam

50

I'm having the same problem, my shifter moves but wont go into another gear other than neutral. Do you think this is the linkage too?

I have a major problem folks.. I got 68's cadillac and i broke the gear stick the moves from P to R and N or D .. So I tried so hard to move it with my hand but it wont .. Can someone explain for me wat to please!

I recently had the exact problem that Angela posted. None of the above answers will correct the problem, but I have the correct one after hours of research and it's simple fix. You must Take the pan off the bottom of the transmission; realize your fluid will dump btw.. then remove the filter. Behind the filter there is a manual shifting rod about the size of a pencil, that is held in place by a plastic retainer, which wears out over time and allows the rod to drop out of place. I used a small aluminum shim to spread the retainer apart and thus tightens its ability to hold the rod in place. Push the rod back in place and replace the filter; pan and new fluid, cleaning the pan carefully should be done as this is a great time to change the fluid. Note "If the Park still works and holds but only shifts into "neutral" this is your problem See Pic

I should have added "the light will continue to show its still in Park"...even tho the shifter moves freely and tranny goes into Neutral allowing the car to roll freely" until moving the shifter lever back into the actual Park position....the rod above connects the manual valve/IMS.