my service engine soon light came on what could be the problem

25

Asked by Apr 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille Base

215

Could be something as simple as the gas cap not being on tight enough, or something really really serious. You should probably get it checked out.

75

go up to advance auto parts they will plug in a computer to it and tell you what code its throwing and what u need

335

I work at a shop, I wouldn't advise taking your car to advance, we've had people come in who have been there several time without success. They check it so they can sell you a part to install if that doesnt fix it then you have to buy another part to try. We had a guy come in with a Ford F-150 who had been to advance, he replaced his oxygen sensor 4 times because that was one of the possible causes of the code. If the guy at advance knew to check out the other possible issues the customer could have saved alot of time and money. Take it to a reputable auto repair shop, it may cost just a bit more on the surface but it is well worth it in the end, don't sacrafice quality

215

a sevice engine soon light could just very well be changing your oil... it could mean a bad O2 sensor... it could mean you have a fouled spark plug... it can also mean something stupid as gas cap not on right and just puttin the gas cap back on will not remove the light from your dashboard... you will have to take it to a good mechanic... not advance auto parts or any other chessy auto parts store... they have to scan the car and clear the code(s) after whatevers wrong is fixed... i may be a woman but i kno what im talkin about... i am a mechanic myself... i wish you good luck and i hope you find your solution

135

Mine will come on intermittently, when I stomp the gas, or when I first start it. I'm thinking the problem here has as much to do with the light itself as anything else.

225

It could be something as simple to as low oil level, or a 50,000 or 75,000 mile check up, to a gasket. Take it to a repair shop, and just have them look at it. If your car is still running smoothly, it's probably nothing big.

1,970

Nothing is wrong, no codes. How do I turn off the light??

195

I have a 2003 Deville base, and my light came on a few weeks ago. It was a problem with the air intake and caused about $500 to fix.

Ain't life grand?

70

Don't bother taking it in at all. I have a 99 f150 that has had the same light on for the last 7 years, and nothing is wrong. I brought it to a family mechanic, and he said it was just a part that goes bad and it dosent need to be replaced, its just a bottomless money pit if you keep bringing it in. CT

540

My service engine light came on, i drive a cadillac deville 2004, and the engine sounds loud. Any suggestions>?

70

I have a 2004 dts after I have 3 gas caps changed 2 smoke tests and my shop which I have been going to for some time and I believe they are good still can't figure it out.

30

I have to say as a member of Advance Auto that you are sadly miss informed, or mislead at our purpose as a business. Our sole focus is to help the customer with their automotive needs based on their descriptions and problems. While we all train very profusely on learning all makes, models, years, and diagnosis no one person is 100% efficient. We do not have a lift, or 5,000.00 scan tools to diagnose to a "t" what is wrong with your car, as a mechanic myself I've found the best way to fix your own is to start from the most reasonable problem area at the lowest cost and work your way towards fixing the problem. I apologize that you or your customers had an unsatisfactory experience at one of our stores. However, I assure you upon entry of our store we are purely focused on helping our customers to the best of our abilities, good pricing on premium parts, and a good customer service experience.