MY BATTERY WILL NOT HOLD CHARGE ON 2001 CADILLAC DEVILLE--I REPLACED ALTERNATOR AND STARTER. STILL HAVE SAME PROBLEM-- WHAT IS THE CURE--

Asked by Mar 29, 2012 at 02:25 PM about the 2001 Cadillac DeVille Base

815

If the battery checks out okay, check the battery cables, both ground and positive cables, as well as the alternator wire. Look for corrosion, frayed ends and such. If you have a voltmeter check the resistance on the cables and ALT. wire.

4,685

Also related to aftermarket add-on's, if you are running high current amplifiers, you may be drawing more current than your alternator can supply. This would have the effect of draining your battery because little or no "recharge" current would be flowing to it when you rn the amplifiers. If this is the case, you could put in a higher output alternator or instsall a second battery to feed your amp.

130

if you have any aftermarket stuff installed it may be causing a problem with the system going to sleep. but on alot of the cady's i've seen ignition switches keep things alive too. i would do a draw test..

160

Guys I have a 2001 Cadillac DTS\Deville Mine is at 154,000 miles CHECK THE GROUND CABLE , specifically the master ground coming off of the alternator . pop the hood , look in front of your fusebox (front left under hood , down towards the frame) . youll see a large black wire with a 5/8 bolt holding it in place . these wires corrode , and cause ALL KINDS of WEIRD things to occur . Mine broke 90%of the way through . not a complete break . the car wouldn't start intermittently. I was getting , check suspension system messages .I was getting a security light on dashboard . check engine light . service theft system message I was getting symptoms of a car with a bad battery or bad alternator . and both tested fine . the alternator was only charging when I let my foot off the gas pedal . and when I accelerated of would stop charging and run off battery power alone . it was such a mystery to me at first . I was ripping my hair out . one thing after another on the car started failing. I didn't know where to begin ... Figured out it was this stupid heavy gauge ground wire corroded and broke . replaced it . and the car runs like the day it did from the factory . I wrote this for any others out there pulling their hair out . I hope I can help.

Very helpful, thanks

why my 2001 cadillac deville, keep telling me the check the gas cap! I buy a new gas cap and replace it, but keep telling me on the dashboard same thing