my 2001 slips into the sports mode gear after i start driving. Whats the problem?

hardhead
0

Asked by Apr 14, 2013 at 09:31 AM about the 2001 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

my sports mode gear kicks in after i drive off on its own. What the problem?

Do you have a lead foot and a habit of hard acceleration? If so there may be no problem...I did a bit of reading on the Catera, and when you take off hard it goes in to Sport Mode automatically and does not shift until almost at the 'red line' for quick acceleration. Now, if I am off base here and you do not do that, there are some people I found on Cadillac forums that had that trouble and it turned out to be the shift solenoid.

84,675

I think you're on the right track David. The Catera has an adaptive transmission with three modes - normal, sport, and winter.

That, TS, is what I discovered... 'winter' will start you off in 2nd gear. Sport as I described, I watched a video and it runs it ALL the way to 7,000rpm red line then shifts REALLY hard.. then normal is, well, normal. Easy soft shift at about 3k rpm but floor it and it will go in to Sport whether you like it or not, kinda like a kickdown

Suzi Catalano
80

This may be stupid, but... Ya know the button for the sport feature is on top of the shifter right? My hubby and his big man hands would always end up in sports mode, because he had big man hands in my car.

Best Answer