crank sensor

45

Asked by Aug 20, 2008 at 05:55 PM about the 2001 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

not question
at about 115000 miles on the 01 catera models the crank sensor will go
the symptoms are the car shuting off at random at anytime usualy when the car is warmed up
IT IS NOT YOUR FUEL PUMP!
if you crack the fuel lines open when cranking the car no fuel will be present, this is because the car is getting no crank signal, the pcm doesnot know the car is cranking so its not going to send any fuel
and then you have to wait about 10 to 30 minutes to start it again (cool down)
keep in mind the car will not shut off at highway speeds (about 55)
the car will be driving and everything will cut out like the alt cut out but it is in fact the crank sensor
im not sure on tsb's on it but im looking for them
let me know if anyone has had a similar problem

170

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, my first response was to replace the fuel pump and filter! The car failed again a few weeks later. I heard about the Crank Position Sensor and replaced it. Expecting it to fire, the car just cranks but no start. Does the PCM have to be reset to recognize the new CPS?

20

my catera does the samething toooo...but is it the crankshaft sensor though?...please let me know..the car will crank on til the oil starts to heat but its not over heating though..and the car will jus shut off..then you wait for 5 mins and it starts again..you wait again and it will still shut off again..i dont know what to look at first..if you have a solutation please let me know how you fixed your problem...

110

i was wondering where the crankshaft sensor is located on my 1998 cadillac catera i have the part just need to know where it is can you help me please email me at kimberlyallard89@yahoo.com or you can call me at 860-412-0129 thanks