crankshaft sensor

110

Asked by Mar 12, 2010 at 07:05 PM about the 1998 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

i was wondering where the crankshaft position sensor is on the 1998 cadillac catera i have the part just c ant figure out where it is on the motor your response would be awesome thanks kimberly   please email me at kimberlyallard89@yahoo.com thanks again

12,125

Its on the side of the block firewall side ... REMOVAL Numbers in text in parenthesis correspond to numbered components in image. Disconnect the wiring harness (1) from the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor pigtail. Securely attach a scrap piece of wire about 36 inches long to the CKP sensor pigtail. Later, this piece will be used as a pull wire to guide the new sensor pigtail back through the same routing. Raise and support the vehicle. Remove the oil filter and capture any lost engine oil in a container. Loosen the oil cooler lines at the engine block. Back out the fittings far enough in order to gain sufficient clearance for the sensor pigtail connector to pass between the oil cooler lines and the side of the engine block. Remove the fastening bolt for the CKP sensor (1). Remove the CKP sensor and the O-ring seal from the engine block. Remove the CKP sensor pigtail. Observe the routing of the pigtail. Gently pull the CKP sensor pigtail down through the routing path and out. Guide the pigtail connector along the top of the oil cooler lines around to the side of the engine block. Pass the connector between the lines and the block at the point of the widest gap. Stop when the pull wire is exposed at both ends of the routing path. Disconnect the sensor from the pull wire. INSTALLATION Securely attach the CKP sensor pigtail to the lower end of the pull wire. Pass the pigtail connector between the oil cooler lines and the engine block. Using the pull wire as a guide, pull the sensor pigtail along the top of the oil cooler lines and around to the rear of the engine. Use the pull wire to pull the pigtail into position. Disconnect the pull wire from the sensor pigtail. Connect the sensor pigtail to the harness connector. Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the CKP sensor and the engine block. Install the CKP sensor with a new O-ring seal into the engine block. Install the fastening bolt (1) for the CKP sensor. Check the harness for proper routing. Make sure that the wiring cannot come in contact with the exhaust manifold. Tighten the oil cooler lines at the engine block. Install the oil filter. Lower the vehicle. Recheck the engine oil level.

40

The connection is next to the oil filter and it runs up to the engine behind the intake plenum (manifold) I got the part but had to have Cadillac put it on for me b/c I did not have room underneath the car to work. My Cat would shut off after driving serveral miles or when it got hot. So far so good after replacement. NOTE: Don't let anyone tell you its your fuel pump! Try this first. Good luck