What my car did when I needed a new battery, ignition coil, and crankshaft position sensor.

Asked by Jun 24, 2009 at 05:58 PM about the 2003 Cadillac CTS RWD

2003 Cadillac CTS 103,000 mi. One day, I went to the store. When I got out, my car would crank, but not start. Hmmm. Unplugged battery, plugged it back, same thing. Walked to the gas station got two gallons, put them in, started right up because the car was cool again. Later found that it was in fact the crankshaft position sensor, $52 at Class A Auto Parts, since my car would only start when it was cool. This is located just above the oil filter under the car, held in by a single bolt. Its a pain in the butt to get out. The harness is located on the top of the engine in the back center. Cylinders 2, 4, and 6 were misfiring, and my battery would be dead everytime I got into the car. This was driverside ignition coil, $120 at Autozone. They were able to tell me this beacause CHECK ENGINE light was on. Just move the powersteering tank and rubber engine cover, and its pretty easy to switch out. After I replaced the coil, my battery was dead. I tried to jump it, but it wouldn't even crank, even though the battery volts on the nav screen read 13.3. This was the battery. It was almost 7 years old, and if its dead enough it won't even take a jump, why, I don't know. I was stupid and paid $165 for a new one from Cadillac when I learned later that a diehard 78 series would work fine, just move 1" to the right. I just wanted to help you guys out since the CHECK ENGINE light doesnt come on when the crankshaft position sensor or the battery go bad. Its funny too, because all of these things happened at the same time. Car runs great now, I hope this helped, GOOD LUCK!!

20

Thanks for sharing, had to jump my car after going to a wedding and host the tail gate party with the kisk ass sound system:) But when I got it jumped the clock now goes backwards and things kept flashing the screen. He's at the shop now but in a little town & no one wanting to put out the money for the program.. makes finding out what the real deal really is. Appreciate all the knowledge I can get about this CTS, not just the fantasy ads but the stuff that us owners really deal with.

I'm having the same issue with my Cadillac. I did have a lot of problems with the power steering and now my car won't crank. The battery was at 13.3 exactly and then I got jumped off and it started and the battery voltage went back to 14.5. I don't know if it is the battery because it's not been but a few years ago when I purchased one.

Im having similar problem with my 03CTS. I know, it's 2018, but only 63k mi. on and rag top-look in black...love this car:) luxury sports pkg. straight from dealer years ago, but was in garage.....anyway, battery replaced after no start just click sound. Had crankshift sensor replaced about 1 mo. ago, and now turn car off..immediate no start. After replacing battery. Thought alt. but charges battery while running. Check engine light constant on unless clear codes via OBSD. now: car horn weak sometimes, no chimes inside, and radio sometimes no sound at all[Bose system]. That's occasionally. Alarm sounds too until key in ignition. Going to replace battery just 6days old for new one at autozone and once again see what happens. Don't know problem yet. any clues?

If you hold the band and nav buttons on this car for a few seconds while it is on it will do a self-diagnostic and give you vehicle codes

Thanks, but I do know how to bring up codes. Just don't know how to read them.

BTW, at AutoZone yesterday, installer said positive terminal corroded on inside and should be replaced. Think that may be problem at the core of all others. No? Not sure, but gonna get that done, and .....contacted my dealer for appt. to look around for new[er] car[cadillac]...though unaffordable at this time. Guess just dreaming, but really do love my car now. Who knows! Want this problem solved ASAP! Frustrating.

The codes with a "C" next to it are current codes and the codes with a "H" next to it are codes that the car had in it's history. Most codes I had previously were able to be found by typing it into Google. I hope this helps! I love this car too and after almost 9 years and adding 80000+ miles on, still runs great!