Power seat. & wheel not working

Asked by Aug 08, 2008 at 06:54 PM about the 2003 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan RWD

The power seats and the power steering wheel quit working after I left the car wash.  I think it is the fuse, but I can't find it.  I heard this a ongoing to the common problem.  Anyone know how to solve this without going to the dealer?

1,165

So your steering wheel isn't working? I'm not following...I assume you mean power steering? Pull out your owner's manual and check the fuse. Locate the power seat motor and jump battery voltage and ground to it. If it doesn't move, your motor is bad. If it does, you have a wiring issue or a bad body control module (which is unlikely).

47,675

You might give it a day or two, if there was any moisture that got into the fusebox under the hood, you can experience weird problems like this. Once it dries out you might be back to normal. But this is normally an interior fuse for power seats.

10

Hi, I have a2001 E39 520i and from my knowledge is that if your power steering doesn't work, check the belt that should drive the power steering pump and or the power steering fluid. You will see a black bottle that sits at the front of the engine.It might also be your power steering pump that might be fault. Regarding the power seats, there are two fuse boxes 1. In the boot at the battery compartment 2. In the cubbyhole at the top. You need to remove a cover to get to it. Hope it help you with your problem Regards Jaco

35

If its ur seats and steering then check fuses, there are 3 boxes. 2 in boot 1 in glove box, u have to remove covers for access, had same prob on my e39 M5 and its fuses.

440

fuse #14 30 amps located in glove box for driver seat. fuse # 21 30 amps same location power's right seat. fuse #88 30 amp located in the trunk near battery on passenger side, power's the steering column adjustment. For future reference fuse legend is located in the trunk, above the tool kit compartment.

130

I read this blog to look for answer of same none responsive power seats & steering column problem on my 2006 525i. I checked all related fuses and they were OK! Somehow, today power seats and steering column moved again while I was driving the car! Not sure what started this problem a few days ago, could be a lock-up and then resetted after driving a few days?! I just felt like sharing this info to others who might have same problem. Attached are two fuse diagrams for one in glove box and one in trunk (right side), hope this helps. (I will post a 2nd diagram after this posting with the 1st diagram)

130

2nd fuse diagram

20

Is this Diagram for a 2007 525xi?

30

I experienced the same, steering and driver seat lack of movement on my 1998 528i 110,000 miles. I found the switch on the seat was loosed. its location is where you position and move the seat at your convenient at the bottom left drivers seat. There is a bolt on the front side of the seat holding the plastic cover, remove it among the 2 clips located underneath the seat by pulling them out , so, you will easily move the entire "cheap" plastic cover which is to hold the switch in place. That switch gets easily loose / disconnected if that plastic cover receive a great amount of weight either from seating or if work gets involved. Mechanics do not realize that putting weight on the plastic cover, it will easily break or may loose the switch. The mechanic's issue may use to happen when they try connecting the computer's codes reader....