Car won't start

Mitchell Burton

Asked by Oct 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM about the 2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L, 74,000 km that is currently not starting. Drove around
today with no problems, then on the way to my friends the audio system and all buttons
associated with it stopped responding, leaving it stuck on one station. It also appeared
to cut out for a second or two now and then. After stopping, and turning the car off for a
bit, it resumed as normal. Several hours later outside, I tried to go home, and it would
not start, instead it makes rapid tap sound when I try to start it... The battery seemed
fine, as the audio, and lights appeared to be on completely, and working normally.
Tried having it jumped, but no luck. No idea where to start. Also noticed now that the
error message I have says service theft system, and then finally battery saving mode,
as it looks like the battery is lower, after so many attempts at trying to start it.

Any idea where to start, what could be causing this and even guesses as to how much
it will cost to fix? I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest. It's also the only vehicle I
have, and is pretty much necessary for me to have working. I have only had it for 3
months; and up until today, zero problems.

Any and all suggestions/help are greatly appreciated it! Thanks guys

Start with load testing the battery,if battery is ok,and cable,s are good and snug,check the starter,but it sound,s like battery may be going bad.

Mitchell Burton

Thanks for the input. What is load testing a battery though? And what makes you think it is a battery?

Mitchell Burton

I checked the battery quick before I left, and I believe it was 11.9 on the car dashbboard when I checked.

Load testing is when the battery has a draw down,to see if it can rejuvnate it,s power,all so called a power draw,it can be done at any parts store,and the reason i say battery,when battery is weak,the alternator tote,s the load,and this will make the car act like this,

Mitchell Burton

Thanks again!

Tyrone Butler

I have the same problem with my2006 Cadillac cts, but I changed the alternator and the battery, the check engine light went of and it ran well with no incidents for about 3 days and then the engine light came back on and it started doing the same problem again. What other thing I could do to solve this problem?

My Cadillac CTS is a 2007, it first acted as though it didn't want to start then while driving it went into theft mode. The car begun to get hard to steer, locked the doors, gas needle appeared as it was empty the shut its self completely down. Towed it to a Cadillac dealership to be serviced an they determined my whole theft system went bad and had to be replaced. The cost was about $470.