Why is the heat only working in the drivers side and not the passenger side?

Asked by Jan 22, 2014 at 11:38 AM about the 2010 Dodge Journey SE FWD

The heat in my dodge journey only works on the drivers side and i am only getting cold air
from the passenger side, please help! as it's been freezing for the past few days.

730

hi...my daughter has a 09...same exact problem u have...and dealer says 1200 to fix...UNREAL

730

by looking thru this site...seems a very common problem with this vehicle...manufacturing defect is what I say

730

Let me tell you my experience.I had a similar problem. My Dodge Journey would blow hot air on the driver side and lukewarm air on the passenger side. It then would have issues changing the air-flow from your feet, to your face, to the window, etc. After investigating the issue for about a month I have come to the realization that the computer in the Dodge Journey's is actually pretty clever if not SMART. You see, whenever there is a problem, anywhere in the vehicle with any component, the Dodge Journey will start giving you issues with things you will notice right away. When this happens, there is a fault/problem somewhere in your car. It doesn't mean that the problem your facing is the actual problem, it just means you have a problem and you need to look deeper as to the root cause. In my situation, it started to happen as the weather got cold. At first, I thought I had to replace the entire wiring harness as whenever I touched wires, the blending doors started to work. Which made no sense BTW. It drove me and the mechanic/repair shop crazy. We couldn't make any sense of it. A few weeks went by and we started to test the blending doors. We soon discovered that the blending acuator on the passenger side that regulates the heat/cold temperature was malfunctioning. Depending on how cold the weather got, the actuator would actually not turn. This would cause the computer to throw alerts and refuse to change the climate temperature on the passenger side. At the same time, it would not allow you to change the air flow from feet, face, to window and it would constantly default to the window air flow. The minute we replaced the blending door actuator, all the problems have gone away. I should also mention that when we hooked up a scanner to it, there were two faults that were totally unrelated to the blending door actuator which stated an open circuit. So, when your Dodge Journey is having problems and you can't explain them, look further. Take the time to investigate because the car is simply telling you that something is wrong. It is your job to diagnose the problem. A few years ago, I had a fuse blow on me on the air bag system. I would constantly get an air bag light turn on in the vehicle. Took me a while to figure it out. The way the car was telling me that there is a problem is whenever I tried to put fuel in it, the pump would cut out. Once the fuse was replaced, I was able to pump gas no problems.

100

Eric, what did you do to fix the airbag signal? Ours recently started going off as well, for no reason. Did fixing the actuator fix, the problem?

730

If your air bag signal is coming on for no reason, check the fuse box...it could be a faulty/missing fuse...in my case, it was a missing fuse...weird I know...but a day prior, my vehicle was in the shop and the fuses were looked at...seemed like one was not put back where it was supposed to be. Regarding the actuator, fixing the actuator that was broken did in fact fix my air flow problems yes. I haven't had any issues since.

140

Good to know about the actuator. I also have. 2010 journey and the same heat problem less than a year after having heater core replaced. Having same problem again. Will suggest the actuator when I take it AGAIN to get fixed.

140

We have a 2010 Dodge Journey and we are having the same problem our heater doesn’t work on the passenger side and also our horn also goes off by itself when the car is in use or isn’t in use

60

Can u tell me what u found out about this problem? As my journey does the same thing rt now!

120

My horn would go off and on and was running my battery dead so I just under plugged it... Plus my heater is blowing cold air out on the passenger side to... Need to figure out what is doing it. Any information to fix the heater problem would be helpful thanks.

50

I was just curious did anybody figure out the horn issue because my car is doing that as well and the heat in my car is like that too but I've noticed that now my heat is only getting warm when I drive and when I'm idling it starts to blow cold air

40

@Damara2005 I had the horn issue for years now. I even took it to the dealership, no one knows what is causing it, so what I did was removed the fuse to the horn..problem solved. I only replace the fuses when its time for a state vehicle inspection. Hope this helps

90

Horn issue is a tool. Jist fixed one at work today. Heat issue was heater core

90

No idea why it switch it to tool. But that eord should be a tipm

90

And not heater core. Blend door. I suspected heater core but it was an actuator.

40

@Mike ..concerning the horn issue...you said its a tool? what type of tool?

90

I meant to type TIPM very common for this issue. Tipm is built inside fuse block under hood.

20

Judith I had same problem with my horn blowing....dealership had for 2 weeks...called Dodge. They sent out representative. Engineer's told them to replace horn pad on the steering wheel. that fixed the problem.

200

Having same issue with heat in my ‘10 journey. Drivers is hot passenger is cold. How hard is it to access blend door actuator?

90

Start with making sure temp is changing from cold to hot on pass side. If it is replace heater corr

Mike what does it take to fix the horn I too have both of these problems I unplugged my horn fuse and haven’t had a horn for nearly 2 years. It’s really not safe. Also there is a clicking under my passenger dash that is air related. it clicks sometimes a couple times and sometimes for a minute or two. Even does it when the car isn’t running

110

The Dodge Journey has 3 blend door accuators. Which one needs to be replaced when not getting heat on passenger side? I replaced the heater core back in Nov and it fixed the issue up until a couple of weeks ago and was getting cool air all around. The thermostat was replaced today and now I have heat in the back and on drivers side, but not passenger side.

Has anyone had the passenger side heat issue with Dodge Avenger or Chrysler 200? We were told heater cores for both. We previously had a Dodge Journey and put in at least 3 heater cores.

30

Michelle..There are two actuators to the left and one on the right behind the glove box.It is the actuator on the left toward the back,that’s harder to reach,that is the actuator that controls the cold and hot.Mine was blowing cold air on the drivers side on hot on the passengers side and that’s the one that had to be changed.

I have a 2018 journey and the ac takes more than 10min to cool off

20

Mllandbal. I have a si.ilar problem with my dodge journey 2012 now, only hot air from the passenger vent in front. Other vents are blowing cold air. The mechanic refilled and vacuumed the AC system today & told me to go to a dealership for solution. Pls what can I do, cos I was told dealership will be expensive