Why is the heat only working in the drivers side and not the passenger side?

Asked by Jan 22, 2014 at 11:38 AM about the 2010 Dodge Journey SE

The heat in my dodge journey only works on the drivers side and i am only getting cold air
from the passenger side, please help! as it's been freezing for the past few days.

300

hi...my daughter has a 09...same exact problem u have...and dealer says 1200 to fix...UNREAL

300

by looking thru this site...seems a very common problem with this vehicle...manufacturing defect is what I say

20

Let me tell you my experience.I had a similar problem. My Dodge Journey would blow hot air on the driver side and lukewarm air on the passenger side. It then would have issues changing the air-flow from your feet, to your face, to the window, etc. After investigating the issue for about a month I have come to the realization that the computer in the Dodge Journey's is actually pretty clever if not SMART. You see, whenever there is a problem, anywhere in the vehicle with any component, the Dodge Journey will start giving you issues with things you will notice right away. When this happens, there is a fault/problem somewhere in your car. It doesn't mean that the problem your facing is the actual problem, it just means you have a problem and you need to look deeper as to the root cause. In my situation, it started to happen as the weather got cold. At first, I thought I had to replace the entire wiring harness as whenever I touched wires, the blending doors started to work. Which made no sense BTW. It drove me and the mechanic/repair shop crazy. We couldn't make any sense of it. A few weeks went by and we started to test the blending doors. We soon discovered that the blending acuator on the passenger side that regulates the heat/cold temperature was malfunctioning. Depending on how cold the weather got, the actuator would actually not turn. This would cause the computer to throw alerts and refuse to change the climate temperature on the passenger side. At the same time, it would not allow you to change the air flow from feet, face, to window and it would constantly default to the window air flow. The minute we replaced the blending door actuator, all the problems have gone away. I should also mention that when we hooked up a scanner to it, there were two faults that were totally unrelated to the blending door actuator which stated an open circuit. So, when your Dodge Journey is having problems and you can't explain them, look further. Take the time to investigate because the car is simply telling you that something is wrong. It is your job to diagnose the problem. A few years ago, I had a fuse blow on me on the air bag system. I would constantly get an air bag light turn on in the vehicle. Took me a while to figure it out. The way the car was telling me that there is a problem is whenever I tried to put fuel in it, the pump would cut out. Once the fuse was replaced, I was able to pump gas no problems.