Tranmission Fluid Change

Asked by Mar 29, 2013 at 09:33 AM about the 2010 Chevrolet Impala LT

I have three locations stating that I need to change my transmission fluid ( all mechanic shops).  My
brother in law who knows quite a bit says it is a scam but I am not sure what to do.  Any advise?

Check your owners manual. It will tell you

115

It all depends on your miles and over all transmission condition, and why are they telling you you need your fluid changed. As DavidH25 said consult your owners manual.

96,075

Many transmissions should have the fluid changed between 30,000 and 50,000 miles. A three year old car could easily have between 30,000 and 45,000 miles. It's not a scam to change fluid and filter. It may be a scam to have the transmission flushed.

Has anyone reported OH so much better performance after the change, no because trannies work on friction.

if it smells burnt, or the level is found to be low, yes put new fluid in, otherwise let sleeping dogs lie, my 59 pontiac with Jet-a-way transmission (you know the one with reverse as the last stop) ran the entire time I owned it and never once even looked at the transmission stick-

3,765

Hello Trish, By any chance, did you take it in to a Certified GM Service Center to have it diagnosed. If you haven't looked in your Owner's Manual it's specified on page 7-6 First Engine Oil Change After Every 160 000 km/100,000 Miles Automatic transmission fluid change (normal service). See Automatic Transmission Fluid on page 6-22. The recommendation is for this service to be taken care of at 100k miles. I hope this helps you make your decision on what to do. Marlea Wilson, Chevrolet Customer Care

4,655

It also states every 50,000 miles for severe service. When I drained on my 2008 Impala, about 7 - 8 quarts came out, I reckon about a couple quarts are in the torque converter. If you remove the transmission pan, you would see the transmission filter, which is also a good idea to change.

885

it,s good to see gm answer questions

13,095

I have 115000 miles on my Buick and only changed transmission oil because the pan was leaking. The fluid was good, not dirty or burnt. It was due any way. Like said above, I didn't notice any difference. I just came back from a Colorado and Reno trip, including a drive up Pike's Peak with no problems. After the new gasket/oil and filter change, I went on a drive up the US West Coast to Canada and Mountains, including a drive to Mt. Saint Helen. No issues at all. Only wish I got better that 21.6 over all mileage. 4,500 miles added, no issues. Love my Family Buick Terraza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizl5KF0e2E

in a 2010 you no way no how need to change the transmission fluid.

170

I have a question. I have a 2011 chevy impala .it doesn't seem to be going in the right gears. What do I do.. Checked transmission fluid don't need it. I don't hear no noises.it don't seem the RPMs are going up and down. Pls Help

310

I have an 08 Chevy Impala and my car jerks really bad between 1st and 2nd gear. Any idea what to do?

13,095

Vikki and DeizaradJean, Your transmission at the least needs service. It sounds like it needs a light overhaul. Some people try an additive to gain a few more miles out of it, but if it is slipping or not changing, it's time to have it repaired.

50

Vikki it might not be the transmission, I had a 2013 and the traction control was kicking on sometimes when accelerating from a complete stop and sometimes even while driving, when you go to the dealership tell them to let you drive with them in the car since sometimes they like to send people away making them think there's nothing wrong.

55

my 2011 impala is doing the same thing DeizaraeJean describes, it has only 65k miles. the transmission fluid was checked & all was good. thanks for the tip about traction control.

40

My older GM car jerked too as it shifted/accelerated. Took it to the transmission shop and they said to change plugs and wires. That fixed my problem.I think as long as your car moves when you accelerate, it's probably not transmission trouble.Now my 2011 Impala sometimes does not move right away when I step on the gas. The RPMs go up, but car does not move right away. Then it will bang and start moving. I will change trans fluid first since I got it used and have no idea if the fluid has ever been changed.

30

I have a 2005 Impala with the 3800 and 173,000 miles. My original trans died at 131,000 miles....Never changed fluid until 127,000 and fluid looked like dirty motor oil...it was bad......Soon after changing fluid, the lockup torque converter clutch material disolved and circulated through the tranny...clogging up all the passages. I had a rebuilt trans installed....and I just changed the fluid myself with 41,000 miles driven on the rebuilt tranny. The fluid had turned from a pinkish red to a dark dark red....like black cherry soda...not too far from black...in only 41,000 miles.....These 4T65E GM transmissions tend to run hot.....which darkens the fluid....If it is left in too long, the fluid becomes an enemy to the transmission, losing its lubrication and cooling ability and it becomes abrasive, eating away at clutch materials, etc.....After seeing the fluid condition after 40,000 miles, I plan to stick with a 30-40,000 change interval......I drop the pan , clean the pan and magnet and change the filter....I do not believe in pressurized flushing of the transmission because I have heard of situations where this messes up the transmission....

30

As far as the jerking and slamming into gear, that is an issue with pressure control selenoids on these particular transmissions....The selenoids go bad, causing harsh shifts.....A transmission shop can change them, but you are looking at a several hundred dollar repair bill at least.

My 2012 abs and traction control lights was on and all it was was the wires that runs on the lower control arm had stretched and separated.just take off the wire insulation and feel for a soft spot in your wires.try that before changing the hub.