loss of power while driving

32geoff
60

Asked by Dec 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM about the 2010 Ford Edge Limited

today, while driving, the vehicle simply lost all power and had to be immediately pulled over.  after a few minutes tried to start the vehicle and it worked fine.  driving conditions were cold and wet.  this is a brand new edge.  anybody know what could cause such a thing.  at a close by dealership now awaiting analysis.

link
60

The same problem happened to our Edge on 3 separate occasions during cold weather. Our Edge is a 2009 model with 15,000 miles. A local dealer had the car for 3 days and could not find the problem. We were told to bring the car back when the problem becomes more frequent. Lets hope no one is killed the next time this happens. Please let us know if your dealer solves the problem.

Simon Charbonneau
45

It might be the traction control that engaged with no reason... I know I loose power big time when it engages in deep snow!

32geoff
60

So sorry it took this long to reply, as I stopped looking back at this message. Yes the dealer did fix it, seeing as it has not re-occured. They said it was the starter cable not properly affixed to its place, thus eventually losing power. Took them most of the day to diagnose the problem. Knock on wood that it should never happen again. Hey maybe we could kick up enough fuss so to get Ford in front of the US Congress like poor Toyota has had to do over they faults. Geoff

cousinbrucie1
50

My Edge only has 5 K on it. While driving through a severe rain storm, it really lost power. I could hardly get up a small hill. I let it dry for 2 hours and took it to the dealership. It worked fine to the dealership and the next day they hooked it up to a computer and of course found nothing. It has worked fine since.

anjy834u
4,085

this is purely because of cold. get the heater checked. http://ford-edge.net/how-to-change-air-filter-on-ford-edge-2010/

cousinbrucie1
50

This happened once to me while driving through a rain storm. I. . waited a half hour and then the Edge worked fine. I've got 7K on it now and it only happened that one time. The dealership found nothing wrong.

parabellum
60

Im an ASE master cert. auto tech the replie on the cold causing it is bullshit . do not beleive that on working on my edge now and will post a proper correction.

OK MASTER TEC,waiteing on your fix,I call BS on you,to original poster glad you got it fixed.my uncle has a EDGE,had same thing happen to his,I found the same problem,loose connection at starter.

cko19
120

This has happened to me on three separate occasions (in the 16 months I have owned the vehicle) and usually at the worst time such as stuck on the highway in rush hour or turning and trying to go up a small hill. I have a 2010 Edge with only 15,000 miles on it. I took it into the dealer and they "could not replicate'. The only way to resolve is to drive it directly to the dealer when it happens - this is what they told me. The power comes back once the car is turned off and sits for a minute. Sounds to me like a computer problem but Ford cannot figure it out. I live in the south and it has happened when it was 90, 70 and 45 degrees out - so it has nothing to do with temperature. Also, it has happened when driving for 5 mins, 20 mins and an hour into a trip.

aarong0729
40

My Mom has an Edge, it happened to her a year ago, Ford dealer couldnt replicate. It just happened to her again on the hwy going 60mph. Just shut off, lost all power. And it was 80 degrees yesterday, so it has nothing to do with temp. Fucking Ford

Kenneth Alex
70

Yes I agree , with those that state it problem has nothing to do with the Temp . I just purchased 2007 edge and have had it stop pulling and over tach 3 times now twice on the highway traveling above 70MPH. and have taken it to the dealer twice. I they can't find the problem. just on Sunday Aug 01, 2013 loss of power backing out of family member driveway no power to back out had to shut the car off and reset to get power to back out of small incline driveway. This is BS big time to sell the general public a vehicle that has problems that put your life in danger out on our roadways ! I love my edge but don't care for this problem that ford just refuse to fix and address ! when you have had this problem reported this many times and no one has gotten a fix on this problem and it happening on the new models up to 2013 ! something has to be done about this before someone lose their life ! Do anyone has the answer to how to correct this problem since ford refuse to address or fix these bugs in their MKX and Edges ?

myfivopony
180

When you have this happen, do you also have a warning come up saying "AWD OFF?" That is what my 2011 has done twice. Both times we were able to shut car off and start back up and it is back to normal. Today it was about 65 degrees outside, and last month it was about 55 degress... temp not an issue.

Soccermom17
30

I got a brand new edge 2013 with only 5,000 miles. It has lost power 4 times and won't come back on for about 20 minutes. It has never happened while I was driving always when the vehicle has been turned off. I called Ford Headquarters and filed a complaint it is at the dealership now getting checked out. This is the third time I have taken it in for this problem. Sure hoping they find something.

Dale1952
80

Glad I found this board. We have a 2013 edge with only 1,100 miles on it. 3 times it has failed to start. No power no starter nothing. I let it sit for a few minutes then it started. yesterday as I was driving it stopped running, twice for no apparent reason. Just total loss of power. Same thing after I coasted out of traffic onto side street. Complete loss of power for several minutes. Then it started up. Towed to dealer. Dealer is scratching his head.....I can't be the only one this has happened to

Grif74
30

I agree that it has nothing to do with the temperature. I have a 2007 Ford edge and it has lost power on me 3 times in the past month while temps were 35F, 77F, and 54F. I have had the vehicle over 2 years now. My fix is the same as most of you, I turn the vehicle off, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then its fine. It's definitely a FORD manufacturing problem if we are all experiencing the very same issue.

roondog
60

I had my 2013 edge completely lose power the other day. Fortunately, I was close to home but it could have been disastrous if i was on the freeway. There was no warning, it simply lost all power. Its at the dealership now. They say it needs a new computer. I had not heard of problems with the edge prior to this incident.

justanedge
30

This is another owner with a brand new 2013 Edge losing power without warning. It was lightly raining and 50 degrees but surely what has that to do with anything when all other posts describe variable conditions. I have less than 3000 miles on mine and it just shut off and the dash read a warning of low oil pressure. I was pulling into a parking spot. Read where Chevy had some of these issues as well and didn't address them for years.

Prince Leftridge II
335

Everyone, I experienced this on our 2008 Ford Edge SE. Turned out to be a bad throttle body and it was replaced under warranty.

Anne Maybrown
0

I experienced this with a 2013 ford explorer. Three different occassions. Weather was dry. Once on a main hwy and the other two times on a side road. Very danerous. Ford has it now, but can't find anything wrong with it.

Sher100
560

My 2011 Lincoln MKX has lost power three times. The AWD OFF sign comes on, there is no response to throttle. Fortunately, I have been going slow in very little traffic at the time and was able to coast to the side of the road. I turned the car off, then back on and it was OK to go again. I have had it in to the dealership twice for repair but they are unable to replicate the problem and have offered no assurance that it won't happen again. I am very concerned this could happen in heavy highway traffic and cause a life-threatening collision. Is there a fix? Is there a recourse with the auto maker? Am most eager to find a solution.

mrkmbc
100

2014 Ford edge only had it two weeks and this happened in 90+ degree temp. Lost power and had the low oil pressure warning. Turned it back on fifteen minutes later and it ran fine. No hills or incline or decline.flat surface although there was a very small bump on the road right before which i had been through many times but slowed down and went over it with caution! It had oil and about half atank of gas! Ford needs to recall!

mrkmbc
100

At the dealership right now see what the tell me! Pfft

Gehad Fouad
20

I have 2007 Ford Edge, I live in dubai, it happens with me 3 times up to know, one time of them i was driving on 90 Mile in High way and it could cause my life, no body know what is the problem and i dont know how to fix it

Sher100
560

While I was driving my 2011 Lincoln MKX lost all power for the 4th time. When I pressed the throttle there was no response. Indicator lights said AWD OFF and displayed a wrench icon. I coasted to the side of the road. When this happened the first three times I turned the car off, restarted it and all was fine. I took it in for repair twice and the problem could not be identified or fixed. When it happened the 4th time this past week, I left the car running and called for a tow to the repair shop as my repairman had advised me. My car was "chugging" a bit and died while I waited for the tow. But the indicator lights stayed the same. The tow only required a brief time in neutral while the fella steered it onto his tow truck. The Ford/Lincoln service repairman checked out my car when it arrived at his shop and was able to read the event in the history, unlike previous attempts. Thankfully, he found a problem with the throttle, ordered new parts and my car is fixed! I am so relieved. Both my local dealership and the national Lincoln Customer Service people have been exceptionally helpful. Lincoln offered their expert service technicians to my local dealership, if needed I hope this helps you with your "loss of power" problems.

Doubless
250

I had exactly the same thing happen with my Lincoln MKX, 2011, only it happened 5 times and was in the shop 3 times. I read sher100's blog and took it to heart. I went to pick the car up from the third time in the shop and not being fixed because they could not replicate the problem. I was not 5 miles down the road and the infamous awd off and wrench showed up and I lost acceleration. I took the advice of sher100 and did not turn off the car, called the dealership and they sent a mechanic with a computer to see what the error code was, it was a code for a bad throttle, I will post the code when I get it because I am literally typing this while I wait. I do not know if this will fix the problem, but since they received a specific error code I will again drive the Lincoln without fear. My dealership was patient and helpful, I understand that if they could not get the error code, they could not find the problem. Once the car was turned on and then off again, the code was lost. They supplied me with a rental car for almost 3 weeks trying to replicate the problem. Ironically, it happened right away with me. They now know what the problem is and I am keeping a positive attitude that the problem will not reoccur!

Sher100
560

This is a follow up to my post 3 days ago: The part that was replaced in my 2011 Lincoln MKX is a throttle position switch.

Doubless
250

The code was P2221

Sher100
560

Am adding a correction / addition to previous posts on the subject of power loss. Have reviewed my invoice which indicates Code 2111, replaced throttle body assembly. Have had no problems since this repair.

jsteaveson
190

This just happened to me on my way home. 89 degrees and dry. complete loss of power in the center lane of heavy traffic. Could have caused a huge multi car pile up.

jsteaveson
190

ps.. this was a 2010 Ford Escape with 36,000 miles on it

Sher100
560

To jsteaveson: I am so glad that you did not have a major accident. Your experience is exactly what I feared might happen to me before my car was finally repaired. Best wishes in getting a proper fix in one trip to the Ford service department. Please let us know how this turns out for you.

bdey1111
50

This has happened 2x/s in past week in my 2011 Ford Edge. This morning it lost power on a major roadway at 50MPH. 75 degree and sunny so no weather connection. The car would not move past 1MPH literally. I could barely get it off the road. Once I turned off the car and restarted it, the car ran fine. Took the Edge for computer diagnostic, where no code came up, so the mechanic cleaned the throttle plates, etc and thought that would fix it. Then it happened again. Tried to follow Ford service direction and get it to dealership while "wrench" icon and situation was happening, but car stalled. when it was restarted, it ran fine again. Took it to dealership anyway where they charged me for another computer diagnostic just to say nothing coming up. I have been told to reprogram PCM for $160, or have throttle body replaced for $500--but they aren't sure if that is even the problem. Also have a passenger side door that sensor says it's open when it is closed. They want $469 to replace the door latch assembly. Apparently, that is a very common problem with this vehicle as well. This car is only 3 yrs old. I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems.

Gotalemon
170

I started having the "AWD off" error message on my 2012 Ford Explorer last month. I brought it to the dealership and they could not find the problem, even AFTER I brought them the comments from this website! Another writer posted that his car was fixed after they changed out the throttle body assembly. Well....it happened 5 more times this week, but this time the engine light stayed on. I just got the phone call from the dealership that it was indeed the throttle body assembly!!! Just like I told them last month! This will cost me about $508.00 to fix because I don't have an extended warranty and I have 48,000 miles on my car. I feel that Ford should be doing a recall of their vehicles. I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA and encourage anyone else having this problem to do the same thing. I will also call Ford and tell them that they should reimburse the $508 that I have to spend because they should be FULLY AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. This is a safety issue. Someone is going to get killed on the interstate when they get rear ended due to this problem. It is a very scarey thing to have no control over your car while doing 70 mph on the highway!!!!!

Pastorharold
10

I'm looking to trade my 2011 MKX for the same reason. Vehicle dies for no apparent reason. My friend works at the Ford dealership and drove my MKX for a week with the computer hooked up. It finally died on him while idling in a parking lot. Guess what? No code came up. I'm going to tell him about the throttle switch today. Other than that, we love our vehicle. Just don't trust it. Thanks for the posts.

jamesjoneswv
110

A few months ago while I was deployed to Afghanistan my wife and 3 year old son were traveling down the expressway at 70 miles an hour when the vehicle (2001 edge sport) suddenly went into limp mode. They barely avoided being killed by the semi-truck behind them. It was diagnosed as a throttle body issue. I payed $250 to have it "cleaned". I recently returned from deployment and it happend on the highway again. I was told by ford customer care that there is nothing they would do due to it not falling into the throttle body recall Case#CAS5641548. I just wanted to thank Ford for there lack of assistance and inform them that a loyal Ford customer 2006 mustang, 2007 ranger, 2011 edge sport will never buy another ford. A problem that has been brought to thier attention by thousands of Ford owners has been ignored and has put my family in danger. First Sergeant James Horr USMC

Winnipeg68
0

I have had a similar problem on start up during extreme cold conditions (-30c). The vehicle had a block heater working and a gas line antifreeze added to the fuel. The vehicle sputtered and gave several electrical warnings failures on start up and would eventually stall. I left vehicle for a few hours and tried again and it ran normally. I do not have a explanation and the dealer could not duplicate.

Skullhaus
10

2008 Edge SEL - same exact problem happened to me two days ago from the date of this post. Had the oil changed, started fine. Driving home, stopped at a light to turn and it died. Tried turning it back on, it turns over, gets to 2000 rpm, then shuts off again. Read these posts and tried letting it sit, didn't work. Have it at the dealership now and haven't heard from them at all... Hopefully they can figure it out because the last time it was on a code scanner it said "0 codes"... I will update when / if I get it back... Love the car, hate the problem. Can't believe this hasn't been diagnosed and recalled by Ford...

CarrieLynnLaw
20

I just had my 2011 Ford Edge loose power as we were on the highway at 8:15 in the evening. We pulled over and sat for 20 seconds and the power came back on. Has anyone had any luck having Ford assist?

Upsetwithford000
40

I own a Ford 2013 Edge - sure enough, the car lost ALL power while I was driving it - could BARELY limp into a parking lot. I regularly drive on I-95 and if this had happened with me in the left lane, I would have been TOAST. Ford MUST recall all affected vehicles. I used to love my Edge, but now I don't trust it. I took it IMMEDIATELY to the Ford dealership and they said it was a electronic throttle body issue and some other technical jargon about the throttle. I think they reprogrammed the computer, too. When I asked the mechanic if it could happen again, he said, "Well, electronics are electronics. You can never know." How reassuring. Sorry, folks, but I'm selling this car. I lose all power unexpectedly on I-95, and I'm six-feet under. AS IN FATAL ACCIDENT. Ford, RECALL all your cars with throttle problems NOW!! People WILL get killed by this issue. Too bad. I used to love Ford. BUT NO MORE.

ianread631
50

I live in Dubai and drive a 2009 Limited Edition Edge with 196, 600 km on the clock. Yesterday driving for approximately 30 minutes at 2000rpm I experienced complete loss of power where I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder of the freeway. I turned off the ignition and waited about a minute before trying the ignition again, the car started and I continued for another 15 minutes at 2000rpm where the same thing happened again, complete loss of power causing me to cruise to a halt on the hard shoulder of the freeway. I turned off the ignition again and this time waited for 5 minutes. Exactly the same scenario played out again, however this time I waited on the hard shoulder for about 10 minutes before continuing. For the remaining 60 minutes of my journey travelling at 120km/h and 2500rpm the car was fine. On reaching Dubai I immediately went to the Ford Dealer where they ran a diagnostic which returned the following fault codes: P0300 - Misfiring fault P0301 - Misfiring in cylinder#1 P0302 - Misfiring in cylinder#2 P0304 - Misfiring in cylinder#4 P0305 - Misfiring in cylinder#5 P0306 - Misfiring in cylinder#6 P1336 - Crankshaft sensor malfunction P2195 - Could not find any record of this fault code. P2197 - Could not find any record of this fault code. The dealership has my car and I await the engineer report. I spoke with the service manager and he informs me that he sees about 4 similar cases per month but with no common cause. I think Ford Motors need to get to the bottom of this before someone loses their life.

Tammy Pingel
10

Same thing happened to me today, I drive a 2011 Ford Mustang. Went to accelerate and the car died and up pops the wrench of shame! Coasted to the side of the road, waited a few minutes and it started right up.

JClark76
5

We have a used 2008 Ford Edge SEL and had a complete lost power on a high traffic street. Pulled over and restarted fine. My wife is leaving on a 12 hour trip late next week. I am inclined to go ahead and replace the throttle body before her trip. Wary of dependability.

Sher100
560

Follow up: it has been 9 months since my MKX was repaired. Since then I have had no further "loss of power" problems. Hopefully, you can share these posts with your mechanic and get the throttle parts replaced quickly.

Beth Miller
10

This happened to me on Monday, June 22, 2015. 2013 Edge with 71,000 miles on it. Once I turned it off and started it back, it was fine. Like everyone else, took it to the dealership and they can find nothing wrong with it. I cannot drive a car that might lose power at any time. I drive 2x daily on a bridge that has no shoulder and lots of 18-wheeler traffic. The dealership kept my car and will drive it around for a few days to see if it does it for them. My husband says that we will trade it in for a non-Ford if they don't fix it. I am not happy as the car is paid off and we had planned on it lasting me quite a few years.

Gotalemon
170

Knock on wood, I have not had any more problems since the throttle body assembly was changed. I don't feel like I should have had to pay the $508 dollars for the repair....for now, I am just waiting for the nationwide recall to happen and I will demand my money back. I encourage all of you to report this issue to the NHTSA before someone gets killed. They will put the pressure on Ford to do the recall since they don't have the decency to do it themselves!!!

jsteaveson
190

The repair is a recall issue and the dealership should not be charging you for the repair. However if all else fails, and you DO have to repair it, I understand that the part if relatively inexpensive and not too hard to change. Luckily its on the top of the engine. I think it took the mechanic about 15 min to change it out. http://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles/nccc-petitions-nhtsa-for-defect-investigation-into-ford-escape-vehicles.html

jsteaveson
190

Beth, by the way, because this is a recall issue, the dealership should not need to "find anything wrong" with the car. Especially since it has been documented as an "intermittent" issue

Gotalemon
170

From what I heard, the dealerships only have autorization to change out the part on the Ford Edge. My dealership played completely stupid to the idea of the throttle body EVEN with the printouts I had in my hand from this website, siting that this was the possible problem. They refused to even change the part until I brought the car in with the wrench symbol lit up. After about 5 times of killing on me, it finally stayed on until I got it to the dealership. Since my car was only 2 1/2 years old, but over the mileage allowance for warranty, I had to pay for it myself. I wish that I would have gotten my son to change it out for me, now that I see what the part really costs! But I was scared for my life when my car stalled twice on the same day on a busy interstate. I just wanted it fixed!

jsteaveson
190

Hi "Gotalemon" Sorry about what happened. As you probably know the complete throttle body assembly is around $100. Less if you shop around. This is from the NHTSA web site. It shows all the vehicles that are covered in this recall NHTSA Action Number : PE13003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): FORD / ESCAPE 2009-2012 FORD / FUSION 2010-2013 MERCURY / MARINER 2009-2011 MERCURY / MILAN 2010-2011 Manufacturer(s) : Ford Motor Company Component(s) : ENGINE Date Investigation Opened : February 21, 2013 Date Investigation Closed : February 28, 2014 You can see the complete verbiage of the by following this link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE13003&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true Good luck to all.

Gotalemon
170

Unfortunately, I have an Explorer, not an escape or fusion...but I suspect that I got the same defective part and they just haven't acknowledged the problem yet. Thanks for the information though!!

kimbo5458
20

2013 Ford Edge. This also happened to me 2 days ago. 70mph down the highway, 100 degrees outside. Driving down the hwy, lost all acceleration. Engine still alive, had power, radio, air etc....waited 3 hrs for a tow truck on a Sunday. It is at the dealership now, I am waiting to hear back from them. Fortunately I do have extended warranty, and got a rental car. Not sure what caused this but in reading all the entries here, I suspect Throttle Body Assembly issue, sure hope they fix this, it could have been a disaster. I was lucky as I was able to pull to the side of the road to wait for help. I will update when I hear from them.

kimbo5458
20

I wanted to give an update on my earlier post. Dealership fixed the issue, said it was the Throttle Plate, stuck in open position, when this happens the computer shuts the car down. They replaced it. could not guarantee it would not happen again, but said it was not a common problem in the 2013 Edge. Blogs on this subject indicate otherwise, frankly I am now a little unsure about my vehicle. On the bight side, if the throttle plate was stuck in "open", I can imagine that if the computer did not shut down the vehicle, there could be potentially hazardous results (just assuming). I did take some advise of others on this blog, and before they fixed it, I did go out and restart the car while it was on the dealerships lot (the next morning after breaking down), and the accelerator worked just fine. So killing and restarting the engine might get you home, if this should happen to you, but be sure to follow up w/dealership and get it fixed. I was still under warranty, so no cost for repairs (thank God for the little things).

6Rivercats
0

I also want to report my 2015 Ford Edge Sel AWD lost power after making a right turn onto a secondary road on Aug. 16,2015. I only had the car a month. I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot and turn the car off. I let it sit for 30 seconds and restarted the car. It seemed fine. This was a very unnerving experience. I went online when I got home and through research saw where this has been a problem since 2009. Took it to the dealership on Aug. 17 and of course nothing was found to be amiss. Relayed to them previous problems with the throttle assembly that others have experienced and that was ruled out. If this problem happens again it is an accident waiting to happen.

rktek
20

BTW. There is Youtube video on how to change out the throttle body on a 4 cylinder 2010 Ford Escape. https://youtu.be/_AAgUyCg2B8. Pretty easy to do.

rktek
20

Thanks to all for posting your information. I had called the service department at the dealership earlier and gave them a very detailed description of what was going on and they played ignorant. I just confronted them on the recall information that was posted on this forum and they agreed to fix it for free. They never notified us of the recall. Thank you God for online forums!

omairkha
0

Im wondering if everyone who has this issue is with the AWD or are there any FWD having this issue?

Dana Holland
30

I have a 2008 Ford Edge SE and while I was driving today the car started shaking and I lost all power and the car died. I was able to get to the edge of the road thankfully. The car started right back up and a few minutes later it died again. Again I went to the side of the road and it started it right up again. After the second time my check engine light came on. Got the car towed home and husband read the code and it was P0352 and P0354.

chelseaz
10

I have a 2012 Ford Edge. Similar problem. Loss power when slow driving, dry and warm weather. The yellow wrench light was on when it happened. Ford dealer cannot read error code or find the problem. I just bought a OBD monitor to connect my car and cellphone. Hopefully the report will tell you the problem. I will update this information later.

downtownjuliebrown
40

I have a 2013 Ford Edge AWD two days ago the AWD off box came up with wrench. we coasted to the edge of the road shut it off and restarted it worked fine. Today while I was driving it did it to me I coasted to the edge of the road shut it off restarted went for a mile and it did it to me again. I did the same thing and then drove straight to the ford garage told them what happened and they acted like it had never happened before . They put it on the computer and couldn't find anything. So while I was setting there I googled recalls 2013 Ford Edge, found two of them. I took them up and showed them to the service lady and she acted like it wasn't for my car. They did nothing for me. I have had this car two months. NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls Recall Number: 14V393000Recall Date: 07/02/2014 Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT Problem Summary: Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2012-2014 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles manufactured September 2, 2010, to November 30, 2013; 2013-2014 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS vehicles manufactured August 25, 2011, to November 30, 2013; and 2013-2014 Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT vehicles manufactured September 12, 2011, to November 30, 2013. In the affected vehicles, the halfshaft retention circlip may not have been properly installed, and as a result, the halfshaft may move outward and disengage from the linkshaft while driving and without prior warning. Consequence: If the halfshaft and linkshaft become disengaged while driving, power will no longer be transmitted to the wheels, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, if the parking brake is not applied before exiting the vehicle, the vehicle may roll away despite the transmission being placed in 'Park', increasing the risk of injury to exiting occupants and bystanders. What Owners Should Do: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles to make sure that the halfshaft is properly retained. If it is not, dealers will replace the linkshaft and also replace the halfshaft if it shows evidence of spline damage, free of charge. The recall began on August 4, 2014. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673 FREE. Ford's number for this recall is 14S10. Next Steps: Contact a Service Center Near You Recall Number: 14V002000Recall Date: 01/06/2014 Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE Problem Summary: FORD MOTOR COMPANY (FORD) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012-2013 EDGE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 2, 2010, THROUGH APRIL 25, 2013, AND EQUIPPED WITH 2.0L ENGINES. THE FUEL LINE PULSE DAMPER METAL HOUSING MAY CRACK AS A RESULT OF AN IMPROPER MANUFACTURING PROCESS. A CRACKED FUEL LINE PULSE DAMPER HOUSING MAY RESULT IN A COMBINATION OF FUEL ODOR, WEEPAGE, OR A CONTINUOUS LEAK WHILE THE FUEL SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED. Consequence: A FUEL LEAK IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY RESULT IN A FIRE. What Owners Should Do: FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL LINE WITH ONE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A DAMPER, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 28, 2014. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332 FREE. FORD'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS 13S13. IMPORTANT: THIS RECALL SUPERSEDES RECALL 12V-438. ALL VEHICLES THAT HAVE BEEN REMEDIED UNDER THE PREVIOUS RECALL NEED TO HAVE THE CURRENT REMEDY APPLIED.

chelseaz
10

I have a 2012 Ford Edge, 3.5L AWD SEL model.I called FORD customer service and provide related information about recall, but they said that my car was not in their recall list. They refused to change any part for me. Then, I tried two different dealer, nobody could find the reason why it loss power when driving. I finally sent my car to a auto repair shop, the technician told me that he replaced a lot of throttle body because of loss power issue, but my throttle body was good. He took it off and cleaned it.Since last Tuesday, I drive my car around 10 days. It works well.

Michael Farina
40

I found this information on Ford's website while researching the problem on my wife's 2000 Ford Fusion: • FSA Title: ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY EXTENDED COVERAGE • Field Service Action Number: 13N03 Pasted from The page giving the information said it was last updated 11/15/2015 (this date) - not sure if they did that just for me or not. I was not impressed with NHTSA's website - it gave no option to select model-="Fusion." I have found no solid information on what the problem is but given the comments here, my bet is that humidity is invariably messing with the sensor.

bheaduk
10

I also have a 2012 Ford Edge, 3.5L AWD SEL model that I purchased from the Ford dealer last April as "pre-owned certified." Everything has been fine up to the last two weeks when I experienced a sudden loss of power three times, exactly as described in many of the posts here.. Each time the wrench icon came on and "AWD off" was displayed on the instrument panel. Twice I was just about to get on the freeway! I was able to coast/limp to the shoulder. I switched engine off and restarted and everything was fine again. Needless to say this is extremely dangerous. I took the car to the dealer and of course everything checked out fine with no error messages detected. Took the car home and started googling around and found this board and others relating exactly to this situation and the NHSTA recall for the 2012-14 Ford Edge, but when I put my VIN number in it did not flag. I emailed the service director about all the similar complaints, but I have just had the call that they cannot replicate the problem. I do not intend this to happen to me while on the freeway, so told them to leave it there for a few days while I think what to do next. There is definitely a safety issue here and all this "unable to replicate the problem" talk is frustrating to say the least. I have lost all confidence in the vehicle. Any suggestions? Brian, January 25, 2016

chelseaz
10

I suggest you to send your car to a auto shop and ask them to clean your throttle body. It is not expensive service, but it works on my car.

lkas
10

my 2013 escape is at the dealer right now. Mine loses powers and turns off anywhere from 1-5 times a DAY for me. They just had it for 5 days and changed the fuel pressure sensor gauge. they said that was the problem. just got my car back last night. This morning it lost power on me 3 times! called the dealer, they told me to bring it in, they hooked it up to the computer and said they didn't find anything. Also took it for a test drive and of course it didn't do it for them. So they told me the car is fine and it would happen again. I told them they are wrong and that they will be hearing from me because it WILL happen again. Sure enough I didn't even make it out of the parking lot before it shut off on me. They now have my car. Hopefully they figure out what is wrong. I cant drive with 2 small kids in a car that shuts off on me up to 5 times a day!

Tntbougie
20

I have a 2015 Ford edge only 5704. miles was traveling doen the fwy at 75 mph when a little wrench light came on.. had no acceleration.. had to coast to the side of the fwy (with my kids of course) the information panel said check manual, once i pressed ok i got another warning "hill start assit not available" pressed ok again. Shut the car off and restarted it. Ran the sync vehicle report. Showed nothing.. went home, about an hour later did the same thing.. called ford and they are not open till tomorrow! Pretty upset as I have only made one payment and this is irratining

gringosamba
20

I own a 2013 Ford Edge AWD and have experienced the card losing power without any notice. The yellow AWD OFF and wrench indicator light comes on and all engine power is totally lost. This has happened over the last several months at least six times. Different speeds and situations. In warm temperatures. Dealer said it was probably dirty gasoline but could not find anything else wrong. We asked for all the gasoline to be drained and the problem went away for a while before beginning to ocurr again more frequently. After reading all of these posts, I'll ask a mechanic to clean the throttle assembly and if that doesn't work have it replaced. If that doesn't work, I'll get rid of this car as it is extremely unsafe when power shuts off unexpectedly.

Gotalemon
170

PLEASE make a formal complaint to the NHTSA. That might be the only way that Ford will completely address this problem. If the cleaning of the throttle body works, please let me know. I wish that I would have tried that first, because the replacement cost me over $500.

gringosamba
20

Gotalemon, ok. I will file complaint with the NHTSA. Question, since you replaced your throttle body assembly, have you experienced any more problems? How long has it been since you replaced it?

Gotalemon
170

I had it replaced on 9/24/14 and have not had any more issues with it. I still haven't written to Ford (because I had surgery on my arm) to request reimbursement of my $550, but I still intend to do so. I hope that they understand the seriousness of this issue. I have found a few other 2012 Ford Explorer owners with the same issue on a different forum.

NoMoreLies4US
20

Thinking of buying a 2016 Edge so decided to rent one for a week to see if it was everything I was hoping for. Within 4 miles of ONT airport, in the fast lane of the I10 where it merges with the I15, everything on the dash, speedometer, radio, everything, flashed yellow and the car completely shut off. I was able to cost over 6 lanes in rush traffic to the merge area of both freeways right on top of the white line. There I sat for 1 hour waiting for the rental company tow as big rigs were flying within 2 feet of my door (couldn't open it to even get out and seek a safer area to wait). The EDGE was then towed back to ONT where I was given an Explorer (disliked as it was to big for me). I still love the looks and size of the 2016 EDGE but frankly I'm scared to buy one. I believe this was a computer problem but need to know, has ANYONE had this problem and WHAT caused it? I received NO response from Budget customer service and can't find anything on the internet.

gringosamba
20

I had the throttle body assembly replaced on February 24, 2016. It's only been a few days so far, but since it's been replaced, this problem has not ocurred again. I'll provide another update if/when it ever happens again, even after replacing the throttle body. If no further updates, then the replacement solved the problem.

edgeconcerns
0

2013 Edge having issue of AWD ABS traction control turned off and totally losing power...went to dealer did update to computer and happened again 2 weeks later but this time no lights except sync was saying its doing routine maintenance message...turned off tuened on had trouble starting then when it restarted it all went away...bringing back to dealership agin will let you know...thinking of trading in..my wife is scared to drive it after it happening twice...

Ankor
20

Alot of ppl are commenting on Throttle body failures, I have a 2015 Edge 3.5 V6 and the power cut out twice while accelerating from a stop light, and I could just barely make it over to the curb lane with this "limp home" mode. I got a warning wrench and a message saying that "hill start assist was not available" "please check manual". This happened to me for the second time literally an hour ago, and it's troubling that I have a three hour drive ahead of me in the morning before I can get to the dealership

Gavin Weaver
0

I had the same problem when i test drove my new edge with the car shutting off the dealer in maryland replaced the battery hasnot happened again in the 6500 miles ive owned it

gringosamba
20

Ankor, I haven't had any problems since replacing the throttle body assembly.

Ankor
20

gringosamba , that's the impression I'm getting after seeing all these comments, simple fix. I'm just hoping that the dealer doesn't give me a hard time. My wife is afraid to drive the car now

Ankor
20

How long since you've had the ETB assembly replaced gringosamba?

gringosamba
20

Ankor, I replaced the throttle body assembly on Feb. 24, 2016. Since then, no problems.

Ankor
20

Problem for me identified as faulty "Restraint Control Module", should take a day or so to replace, I'll update after if this resolved the problem. *fingers crossed*

Auburntrek
0

We have 2016 Ford Explorer with 7K on it and lost acceleration while on interstate. Turned car off waited a few minutes then turned back on and was able to use throttle. Drove to local Ford dealership and heard 2 other 2016 explorers had same problem. Throttle body was then replaced. Mechanic said they were 95% sure that was the problem. Perhaps a recall may be in the future? Hope this helps anyone in the future that has a similar problem.

Ankor
20

Yup, just got my edge back after 2 weeks, complete replacement of the throttle body seems to have fixed the issue

Michael Farina
40

I've been following this for a long time regarding my wife's 2010 Fusion. This week, the wrench light came on and she said the car was lurching and losing power. The dealership fixed it for no charge, which was a nice surprise. When I looked at the invoice, it said the throttle body was replaced and was under an "extended warranty." - I guess that's how they are handling the problem. I am appreicative. To the rest of you still figuring things out - good luck!

Michael Farina
40

Oh - another message on the invoice noted the throttle was stuck closed. This might explain some of the inconsistencies making it hard to catch.

Nesa123
10

I have a Ford Edge sport v6 2013. I love my fully loaded sweet metallic black edge. I bought it with 1mile on it, now I have 35,745 miles on it. never had a problem until yesterday. Now i am Afraid to drive my edge.. yesterday 3 a.m. I'm driving this happens- power goes out, wrench symbol shows up I coast over to the side freaking out & turn the car off wait a minute turn it back on & able to continue my drive .today it happened again turn the car off restarted and the wrench light went away and everything worked fine. Made Call to dealership before reading this thread they said bring it in so they can look at it. But because of weather conditions here lately some vehicles were flooded and it's a 2 day wait for them to look at it so I need to get a rental car. I took my chances and drove home from work. Get home & I research and find this site with the wonderful information explaining everything. after reading this entire thread I am sure it will be a replacement of the throttle thank you for posting on this site. When I take this vehicle tothe Ford dealership tomorrow I will have the recall information etc. let you know if they give me a hard time when I tell them to replace throttle body.I have extended warranty & hope they handle it the way the last Post by Michael dealership did just hours ago. This is unsafe and I drive fast in a big city with a lot of traffic and have kids. I'm also trying to teach my son who's in drivers and right now with his learner's permit. He was just driving the car the day before yesterday! This was the second site I looked at and thank you all for the follow-ups to your posts.. It certainly helps a single mom be able to go into a dealership with all the information

Gotalemon
170

I brought the paperwork to my dealership and they told me that they could not do anything unless the error code showed up on the car!!! After about 5 times of being scared to death when the car stalled, it finally held the code and I was able to get it fixed...it was not under warranty for me because of the 45,000 miles...and it was less than 3 years old when this happened. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer that was purchased in November 2012. I am still very angry about the more than $550 repair that I was charged, but thankfully, it has never happened since being replaced. I am now at 79,000 miles.

cmerun6
0

Phew. Ok. My 2015 Ford Edge Titanium went to the dealership today because of five occurrences of the aforementioned, limp car/stall. The error messages presented to me were: a wrench & hill assist not available. I checked my manual and with regard to the wrench, it advised me to call my dealership ASAP (LOL)-- and it referenced a powertrain issue. The technician called, and the throttle bottle is/was the culprit. The vehicle has 6609 miles; I bought it in December 2015.

Ankor
20

Yup, I have a 2015 Edge titanium with similar mileage. Electronic throttle body assembly needs to be fully replaced, or at least that seems to be the general consensus and what worked for me.

cmerun6
0

The technician never mentioned a quote; and based on all of the above posts + additional web research; this problem should be covered by my warranty. I have my information with me; hopefully it will not be an issue.

TXGulfCoast
30

Brand new to this site but glad I found it. I bought a 2015 Edge in November. It now has 8079 miles on it and is in the shop getting the throttle body replaced. When mine shut down the rpm's when to 1000 with no acceleration at all. Ran self test on the car and it came back with engine possible miss fire/ possible emission problem/ possible transmission problem. Car was loaded and taken to the dealer as it happened 2 times trying to get there. Throttle Body is what they said was wrong and is being replaced 6/10/2016. I will post results later.

TXGulfCoast
30

Well update. They changed the throttle body and so far everything is working perfectly. If anything changes I will be sure to repost.

joshperl
10

2015 Ford Edge SEL AWD purchased 1/2016 new from dealer. Fast forward to 7/2016. Slowly coasting down a residential road toward my house. "Hill Start Assist Not Available" and the wrench icon and check engine light came on the dash. Acceleration was unresponsive. So happy i was not on the highway when this happened. Was able to continue coasting at around 6/7 mph to my driveway and make it in. Let the car sit for about half hour and tried it again. Took it around the block and when i turned to head back towards my house, the same thing happened. Let it sit again in the driveway and it would come up repeatedly after starting the car. When the tow showed up, he was able accelerate in reverse out of the driveway and then forward onto the bed of the tow truck. Car is at the dealership now and I have not heard from them.. this is the 3rd day since it was towed in. Wondering, because this is covered by warranty, if this can be recognized as a pre-existing condition that would continue to be covered by "extended warranty" (without additional warranty purchase) after my true warranty expires... just like if I had a pre-existing condition when signing up for health insurance, it might not be covered. I think this issue should be covered for the life of the vehicle as it is dangerous and of no fault of the owner/operator of the vehicle. Hoping to get some good news from the dealer, but feeling skeptical after reading the previous posts on this thread.

Lt925
0

Rental car Ford Edge 2016 15K. Died on 605. Called 911, Metro tow came and solved the problem right away. Reset the computer...turn on ignition, wait for 5 seconds, 5 pumps on the accelerator, turn off the again, wait for 2 seconds and turn on the power. Power up again. Engine light still on. But since then kept dieing on me with my wife and 2 kids on the major busy hwy. Luckily I managed to restart 4 times and made it to the CVS Plaza. From there, we called lyft back to the hotel and rental car company dropped off another new SUV 6 hours later. What a hassle, I was about to buy F150 to tow bass boat, but this may change my mind. Scary experience with whole family on a South Cal busy hwy. Major defect Ford has to fix before hurting someone .

joshperl
10

Follow up to my post (2 up from this one)... Car was at dealership for 6 days. Replaced throttle body. Opened lemon law case. New car within 24 months of purchase spends at least 20 days in shop is eligible. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if something happens again, I'll be counting the days.

whofan60
70

I am very very nervous for my wife as the very same thing has happen to us with a new 2015 Edge SE we bought at the end of 2015 December 27th.It barely has over 6000 miles, 2 days ago my wife was trying to get me to a outpatient surgery about 15 miles away and in the first 3 miles as we were getting on the freeway it lost power.She told me that it happen to her 2 other times early that week but only at stop signs. The engine is running but the car isn't moving in a don't go nowhere position..We limped off to the side of the road.We started it back up and it went about 1/4 of a mile and did it again in which we got off at the next exit.I said this is BS take this car home .Home was only 4 miles away.We did this start and go thing for about a mile and half.I kid you not at least 12 times !!! one time we barely made it through a intersection..the last and final time it stalled we were about 20 feet from train tracks i yelled thats it fkn games over!!..Called the dealer told them WTF was going on..They sent a tow truck and while we waited a train came by..After reading this forum enough is enough!! Someone is going to get killed and i can tell you i now have to worry about my wife possibly getting killed in a car that we thought was safe and that she really wanted as she is a total Ford person..in 1 and half miles we could have faced death 3 times!! The car is now at the dealer and they haven't gotten back with me yet..I really don't now how to address this .Were in a contract for a car that i am worried could kill my wife or others.Or Both..And to see these complaints have been ongoing for years is just ludacris I will be filing a complaint with the NHTSA But what other avenues can we explore? And were is the fkn recall? I mean i saw in this forum recalls up to 2014 but we have a 2015..And really the greatest question of all why do they keep selling cars that have a had the same problem for years jeopardizing people lives??! Anyone have any suggestions on which way to go..I know once i go to the dealer to find out about the vehicle the General manager is going to hear about it though i don't know what thats going to accomplish..Oh by the way Temperature is out of the question.it was 92 degrees when this happen so that's BS All suggestions welcome..Thank you..Freddy Rosano

Gotalemon
170

I would like to see us start some sort of class action suit. Especially if yours turns out to be a throttle body issue!!! Ford just doesn't get it apparently. They have never lost power in a car while other cars are heading towards you at full speed, while you pray they are paying attention that your car has gone limp! The fear is real.

Doubless
250

Fixing the throttle body did seem to fix the problem. I agree that someone is going to get seriously injured, I got rid of the Lincoln because I just never felt safe in it again. I am a devoted Ford fan, but I believe that is going to change to I was a devoted Ford fan. I saved all the paper work from the attempts to fix the car before they finally succeeded, I think it is time to make a stand. I also opened a case with Lincoln when it happened, either they are clueless or they simply do NOT care about the safety of their customers

whofan60
70

I called the General manager about my vehicle this morning and talked about the complaints not only on this forum but all the documented complaints on the NHTSA..All he could say is he never heard of the problem..I had to almost do a flip in my chair..I said id take him at his word but some of these same scenarios and especially ones involving the Throttle Body assembly are well documented. he was almost sarcastic at one point and i thought to myself this guy came up through the ranks as a car salesman so how can i trust this guys opinion anyway. The safety issue is more then real..And no mater what they do this car i will never fill my wife will be safe in it.She only drives to work 15 miles one way and same back..We have never even took this vehicle long distance.Again just over 6000 miles on it..The fear is real Gotalemon and i agree a class action lawsuit should be in place..thats if someone dosen't die or get seriously injured first..That you Gotalemon and Doubless for taking the time to reply..I will update here on the status of the vehicle..But i can tell you once again no matter what the outcome i will never feel comfortable with this vehicle..one shouldn't have to live in fear of a product that one of the reasons they bought it was for SAFETY!! Thank You

Gotalemon
170

You are welcome. I work for attorneys, but in the medical field. I am going to try to get some advice about how to go about a class action suit. I also wondered if we could get someone from the news media involved, like a Bill O'Reilly or someone of that caliber. I will let this board know if I get some information that would be helpful.

whofan60
70

Thank You Gotalemon and Doubless** Sorry typo,..Not That but Thank you**

whofan60
70

Think that would a step in the right direction for sure..Id research the lawsuit with you ..Bill O Reilly is a high caliber figure but with the Convention and other news not sure a message through him would be coming..But i get it..Someone of that caliber..Will keep everyone posted..Thanks

whofan60
70

Went to ths site here..heres the link: : http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/electronic-throttle-body/ Talked about how the NHTSA has already investigated some of this and basically dropped the ball as giving some kind of clean bill of health..Ridiculous..Hopefully i read it wrong..It dose talk about avenues to proceed forward to include Class action though. Also states that MILLIONS of complaints with the Electronic Body Throttle..I am lost right now and highly upset that it has came to this due to my wife's life being in harms way as well as anyone else that could be involved..Thanks again..

Gotalemon
170

Me too!!! I have started a letter to them and still haven't mailed it. I have only been able to find one other 2012 Ford Explorer with the same issue. I guess I am waiting to see if I can find a few more. My car was not 3 years old, but was out of warranty at 46,000 miles when I started having problems. It cost me more than $550 to have it fixed. But it was not the money as much as it was the frustration that I went through, trying to figure out what was wrong...at least I was only scared about 5 times before the warning light stayed on long enough to get it to the shop. They played stupid at my dealership too. I had gone into the shop with all of the documentation from this blog and TOLD them it was the throttle body, but they would not touch it until I brought the car in with the warning light on!!!!! They put my life at risk!!!!!!

whofan60
70

Its very frustrating and so ridiculous having to jump these hoops with a brand new vehicle..Please keep in touch..Have no problem leaving my email here as well..frosano@msn.com..Thanks

6Rivercats
0

Maybe someone should contact 60 minutes or ABC Nightly News to let their reporters be aware of this very dangerous problem. Ford and Ford dealerships seem to be deaf, dumb and blind to the situation. A recall is needed ASAP.

Lt925
0

I have notified the car rental.company and told them to report it. The manager said he will bring this case up to the table. Even though I don't own Ford Edge, it was a very scary experience especially with my wife and 2 kids in the car. The time you would get killed is not from your slowing down disabled car, but when you are forced to the fast lane( emergency lane ) and waiting for highway patrol. The whole time I was hoping no one would ran over us. Scary experience. Good luck guys.

whofan60
70

Thank you both for your replies..Someone needs to get this out in the open..I see.Hundreds of complaints with the same scenario and to be quite honest i don't know why someone hasn't been seriously injured or died yet.And really it shouldn't have to come to that though.And i don't want my wife to make that sacrifice.I am so very pissed i have to even jump through these hoops..For the record my 2015 Ford edge was bough at Elk Grove Ford in Elk Grove..And they are playing the deaf blind and dumb game with me thus far. They have.never heard of the problem..Give me a fkn break.More replies are welcome..Going to be archiving these for documentation..Thank you all..

Gotalemon
170

I just sent an email to 60 minutes and asked them to read this thread. Maybe they will be interested in this story. I told them that someone will get killed...it is just a matter of time.

joshperl
10

http://www- odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

whofan60
70

Thank you Gotalemon

whofan60
70

Why Didn’t NHTSA Recall Ford’s ETB? An extended warranty is nice and all, but it means consumers have to wait for their ETBs to break before they can get them replaced. That leaves drivers at risk of sudden acceleration or deceleration in dangerous driving scenarios. NHTSA’s role is to “set and enforce safety performance standards for motor vehicles[2]”, but in this case they’ve dropped the ball. Preventive means could have been taken to prevent future incidents with Ford’s defective ETB, but instead we’re left with Ford’s reactionary program. If the agency is looking for evidence of a safety defect, they don’t need to go far. For the 2010 Ford Fusion alone, there over 1,500 reports of problems with the vehicle speed control, engine and fuel system on NHTSA’s website. Actions You Can Take This step is crucial, don't just complain on forums! The sites below will actively manage your complaints and turn them into useful statistics. Both CarComplaints.com and the CAS will report dangerous trends to the authorities and are often called upon by law firms for help with Class Action lawsuits. Make sure to file your complaint on all three sites, we can't stress that enough. Step 1: File Your Complaint at CarComplaints.com CarComplaints.com is a free site dedicated to uncovering problem trends and informing owners about potential issues with their cars. Major class action law firms use this data when researching cases. Add a Complaint Step 2: Notify the Center for Auto Safety The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) is a pro-consumer organization that researches auto safety issues & often compels the US government to do the right thing through lobbying & lawsuits. Notify the CAS Step 3: Report a Safety Concern to NHTSA The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is the US agency with the authority to conduct vehicle defect investigations & force recalls. Their focus is on safety-related issues.

whofan60
70

Over 170 complaints for the Ford Edge alone At car Complaints .com..All the same dangerous scenarios and all same Ford type sneer responses..I cannot believe all of us people lives are put on the line and nothing is being done about it and its been a problem for years!! http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Edge/2011/engine/engine.sh tml 171 COMPLAINTS!

Gotalemon
170

Thanks for the info about the other 2 complaint sites...I only knew about the NHTSA...will definitely file complaints with the other 2 as well.

whofan60
70

Your welcome Therected was actually a attorney site that expressed if you have had any problems with Electronic Throttle body Assembly to fill out a former they had.I work Sundays here in California but when I get h ok me I will post it.They may not be the only attorney site either.They were out of Missouri I believe. Ok good Sunday to you..

wada_girl
10

This issue just happened to me tonight....twice...while leaving from a stoplight. It was 9:30 at night in an area I was comfortable being stranded in. I also had my teenage son and puppy in the car. I read the manual and turned the car off and restarted both times. Somehow we made it home through 6 stop lights without having to stop at any red lights. I was so thankful!! The engine light was on the whole way home, but the wrench and hill assistant warning never came back. Calling the dealer in the morning armed with all the info in this thread. I'm terrified of being stuck at night or on a freeway.

Peach Wooten
0

So I'm reading thru this feed with everyone's concerns of losing power while driving. I parked yesterday and hit my remote lock and didn't hear the beep. Thought nothing of it and went on into the house. Went out toda, hit the unlock button, nothing, so I thought maybe the battery was dead. I then used the keypad to unlock it, nothing. Upon using the key and getting in; I had no power what so ever to my 2009 Edge. Even hitting the door unlock button inside didn't work. It's like it's a total system shut down?!?!?! Suggestions before calling Ford tomorrow?

patriciamd
10

I too have experienced the same issues with my 2011 for edge limited. Just out of the blue it shuts down and wrench light appears. Today it did it 4 times in 2 hours. I had it hooked up to the code reader and I believe it was p2111 which is the throttle body. My husband cleaned as we were instructed to do and that did not help. Today we replaced the throttle body, which was about a 20 min do it yourself at home job , saving a few hundred dollars on installation. Car runs good now and no stalling. However....after putting up with this for days It makes me angry how Ford has no recall on this item. I have grandchildren that I have had in the car numerous times , putting their lives in harms way. Thank goodness all went well. I have reported this to the nhsta , hoping this does some good. In the future I think I will go back to a Chevy, Ford is too problematic.

jloh
0

WOW I am reading this while my 2016 has spent the last month in the shop with the same issues. They say they have NOT heard of the issue before................they said it was fine and I pulled out to pass someone lost power and just about got into a head on collision. Lost all confidence in my car and am now in a fight for them to take it back because I WILL NOT drive it again.

wada_girl
10

*UPDATE* I just picked up my vehicle from the dealer. They replaced the throttle body assembly. When I dropped it off on Saturday a woman who was pickng up her MKX overheard me telling the service writer what happened to my vehicle and she later told me that was exactly why hers was there. She said another man with an Explorer was there when she was dropping off with the same issue! My dealer didn't give me any issue and magically also found me a loner car. I just hope thie replacement part isn't junk too. I'm happy I leased and can give it back n 2 years.

Jackie0622
0

I just had this happen to me. I stopped to pick up my mail and when I got back in the car to go home it completely died with the wrench symbol and the AWD off sign came on. I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited with 181,000 km on it. As you can tell I drive my car everywhere and I have 4 kids with 2 that play rep hockey so we are all over southern Ontario in the winter season. Thank goodness it was only at my mailbox but now after reading all these posts I am really scared. I will have my mechanic look at the throttle bottle assembly tomorrow. Thanks for the info!!!!

SueAV
20

I have a 2009 Ford Escape with 97 000 KM. First owner of vehicle and I've had the car completely loose power. Twice while at a stop sign and last week while driving at 60KM. The wrench light comes on and at times the engine light as well. This passed week everyday the wrench light comes on and i have to push the gas peddle all the way down to get any thing out of it. It feels like it's loosing power but it hasn't lost power recently. I'm afraid this will happen on the highway as I'm on it everyday. Any suggestions on what this may be? Last year we had to replace the rear main seal which cost 1000.00 and when I called ford they told me it's not covered and it most likely wasn't the problem. My mechanic fixed it and it's been good so that was obvious. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

whofan60
70

Electronic Body Assembly like everyone else..Someones going toi get killed!! All the stories the same..!! been happening for years always the same story.Mine is a 2015 Edge and happen with only 6500 miles on it!..happen going to a out patient surgery while entering the freeway..Wifes car..If i knew this was a problem i would have never bought this POS. best to all..but i have no confidence in this vehicle though they replaced the ETBA..Why are they always defective for years now ?!! Wheres the effin recall ?!

SueAV
20

I actually took the vehicle to Ford when the wrench light was on and they checked the code, which was the throttle body. They replaced it and stayed they've extended the warranty to 10 years or 240k KM. It's only been one day and so far it seems the problem was fixed!! Fingers crossed!

joshperl
10

SueAV, Which dealership did you take it to? Mine was the same issue fixed by the same repair, but there was no extension of warranty offered, even though I inquired about it... Do you have any paperwork supporting the warranty extension that you will be willing to share so I can go to my dealership and argue for the same extension? Thanks. Josh

SueAV
20

I took the vehicle to Ridgehill Ford in Cambridge Ontario where it was purchased. The invoice I have is totalling $0.00 and states the cause and correction: recall 13n03//replace throttle body//ok I actually found out about this was on a website before calling them.. http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/ford -to-fix-cars-limp-home.shtml Make sure that you leave your car running when the light is in for the to connect the computer to your vehicle as it doesn't always registers. Hope this helps