My 2009 Elantra Touring doesn't navigate well in winter conditions such as snow and ice. Any tips on making my car safer to drive in the winter?

Asked by Dec 21, 2010 at 06:45 AM about the 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring FWD

try some continental extreme DWS tires. I changed from the oem khumho and it's a world of difference on snow and ice.

I second that. Prior to getting winter tires it was hardly even drivable. Now, it is good on snow but terrible on ice. I have driven on ice before and never experienced anything like this. Either something is wrong with the car or I need to get a different vehicle. If anyone is having a similar experience or identifies what might be wrong, please comment. Thank you!!

believe it or not all cars are terrible on ice. if it gets around well on snow just be happy and try to avoid ice.

Hello Chase, that is not possible for me. I do a lot of highway driving and I cannot control the sky. It is winter here and ice is just a part of that. I do not expect the car to be perfect but when I purchase winter tires I need them to work for all winter conditions. Snow and ice go hand in hand where I live. Other vehicles are cruising by me and I feel like I am going to slide off the road...that is a problem which I need to fix in order to safely drive my car. Where I live it is winter for 8 months of the year, avoidance is not a solution.

Then drive slower and take it easy on ice. I drive a rear wheel drive gto with summer tires year round here in Wisconsin. Including on ice. I just take it slow. No car does well on ice so when you see it just take your time.

I am aware that ice is slippery. I do drive slowly and cautiously. Still, I have identified an actual problem. My car is not safe to drive at any speed. Other people who have driven it agree. At the moment I am trying to determine if it is the tires or something else to do with the car. I am aware that no car does well on ice but mine is not even drivable. I have gone online to research to see if anyone else is also having this issue and might have a suggestion for where to start. If it was a common issue that might tell me something. Obviously, I have already thought of slowing down and taking my is winter!!

Well I know for a fact it has to be more drivable than my car and I still get around. Your car is light. Under 3000 pounds. Heavier cars will get better traction typically. Blizzac tires IMO are the beat winter tires. Try those. If those don't help I don't know what to tell you other than what I've already said.

I can get around ok in the city, it is the highway driving that really indicates to me that something is not ok. Even for a light car I hope to be able to find a solution that makes me feel safe driving it on highways in the winter. Afterall that is one of the reasons I got this type of car...better fuel efficiency when travelling longer distances. I was hoping to find the right compromise between size (weight and stability) and function for what I need it for. I hope the tires are the issue because those can be changed and otherwise I really like the car. I appreciate your suggestion for winter tires....maybe I just got duds. Thanks.

I drove through the '100 year storm' in Oklahoma last winter, passed a lot of cars and trucks that were in the ditch, so it definitely is NOT the elantra touring's fault! :-) The stock tires are terrible for ice and snow, get something more appropriate and you'll be fine.

In Quebec you, by law you need winter tires during winter time. 4 seasons are limited to what they are unless you go high end, and even then... I got some Dunlop DS3 tires the first year back in 2009 and the car is extremely stable during bad winter condition.

I switched out my tires with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires and haven't had any problems. Love how my Hyundai Elantra Touring handlings in all conditions.

Someone already mentioned Bridgestone Blizzacks. I have those on my 1991 Subaru wagon in the winter. They are a soft rubber compound that grips snow, and to some extent, ice. Because the rubber is soft, it is only estimated that you will get about 12k-15k. Once the outer tread - the part that's antiskid- wears off you can still use what's underneath as an all season tire. They absolutely work great. This is not a "snow" tire. This is a studless traction tire. I go over Mt. Hood here in Portland, OR at 60 miles/hour, snow and all. One other suggestion: put 50 or 100 lb. sand bags over the rear tire area to discourage fishtailing. says Blizzacks are the best studless traction tires on the market.