2009 Kia Rio keeps stalling

65

Asked by Jan 07, 2016 at 09:21 AM about the 2009 Kia Rio LX

2009 Kia Rio (automatic, ~92k miles) keeps stalling while idling at a red light
and twice while driving (slowing to turn).  I have had the car checked at my
Kia dealership as well as at a local shop.  All diagnostic tests came back
clean with no indication of why it is stalling.  No warning lights come on
either.  Mechanics at both locations have driven the car and it didn't stall for
them at all.  I picked it up yesterday and 15 minutes later, it stalled while I
was sitting at a red light.  When this issue first started a few weeks ago, the
car started right away.  Now it needs a minute or two to start again.  There
have also been a few occurrences where the car will not start immediately
when we first get in.

I asked about fuel filter/pump and mechanics at both shops said they would
not replace anything unless they know the root of the problem.

Gosh am having the samr problem with my 06 rio5 ...by any chance did you find a sloution?

65

Yes! So frustrating! Kia and other garages could not detect the issue without a check engine light. Our light finally went on after about a month of random stalling, and at that point, the car was stalling during literally every trip. It was a nightmare. Check engine light test showed a handful of cylinder misfires and the guilty party-- the crankshaft position sensor. Our local garage replaced it for about $250 and we could tell immediately it was back to its normal driving confition. It's been two months and no further issues.

20

I've been having the same problem with a 2009 Kia Rio shutting down at stops. It's not showin any check engine lights either. Would u suggest the crankshaft position sensor?

65

Yes, I would. You could wait for a check engine light to be certain, but like I said, that took almost a month for our car and it was really stressful driving with it stalling more and more frequently. As soon as we got the check engine light, we went to AutoZone for the free diagnostic reading and that was the answer. We had it replaced and our car has been fine ever since.

30

SOLVED: I had the same problem with my 2009 Kia Rio SX Until one day it wouldn't start at all. Turns out it WAS the fuel pump. when you get in the car and turn the key to the run position (but don't ) start it, you should hear a slight hum for 2 or 3 seconds. That's the fuel pump building up pressure for the start. I noticed and absence of that sound. Replaced the fuel pump myself for about $200. and it was super easy. Kia kept this in mind when they built the car, so all you have to do is remove a 12mm bolt thats between the 2 seatbelt latches on the passenger side (keeps the back of seat mounted) and then there are 2 latches on the bottom of the front of the seat that just left out. There is a plastic cover over the pump that just prys off (it has sticky stuff on the buttom). then there are 2 fuel lines to undo. Squeeze the sides together (colored plastic part) and pull apart. make sure the car has sat for like 30 minutes so theres no fuel pressure in the line otherwise gas sprays out. The electrical connector has a squeeze lock on side. then just lifts straight up (looks like like it might flip open, but it doesn't). Then there are eight 10mm bolts that hold the fuel pump mount on. Take those off, and remove cover. Now the fuel pump lifts right out. Make sure the fuel lines are moved aside so you don't break/crack the plastic fuel line. you might have to rotate the pump a little at the halfway mark to get the fuel gauge float out. Installation is reverse. One thing to note is that the pump has 2 indents on the top that the mounting ring "locks" into when installed. just make sure those are lined up. Also make sure all the hoses are connected before testing anything otherwise gas will go everywhere. Had this job done in less than 30 minutes (not including the 45 minutes spent trying to find a 10mm socket). Car was still under warranty but just bought the pump myself as it wasn't worth Kia taking 2 weeks to try and "figure" out what the problem was while I had no car, and then maybe replacing it under warranty or not. Hope this helps