when needing a brake job

5

Asked by Aug 20, 2010 at 01:49 PM about the 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

Hi. I'm not a car person and when  having my vehicle in for an oil change, the service person said that I needed a brake job and that I was down to the very end. I should have asked what specifically but anyway, do you think this means I need all new brakes? What would the cost be? Any recommended chain auto repair place that I should call? Anyone know what to do next?

25

generaly ur brakes have sqweeler pads on them so if when u hit ur brakes u get a squeel its a warning as that u should change them before it goes medal on medal then u have to replace ur roter to and any tire shop is cheaper unluss u do it ur self cause it EXTREMLY easy to do but ya if there sqeelin there pre much done and as fer cost depends on where u go

9,130

Squealing is usually caused buy the metal baking plate or the rivets coming in contact with the rotor. If they squeal, the rotors are probably scored and need to be turned or replaced. If you just need pads you can do it yourself for pretty cheap. Front pads will cost $20-60 for, it about the same for the rear if it has disk brakes, or $20-30 if it has rear drums. You can call your local shops but make sure they are reputable before going there. It pays to call around and get several quotes from shops.

30

No it doesn't mean you need all new brakes. Could be just front. Do you know if he checked front and rear? He should have showed you the pads and what was actually going on. Have someone show you the pad wear before replacing. You can see this on some vehicles without pulling the tire/wheel. Check the price for pads at Napa, autozone, oriley, etc. , that way when they price the repair job to you, you will have an idea of the labor cost they are charging for this. Replacing front pads is a 30min job in most cases, excluding the waiting time for resurfacing the rotors.

when you get on the breaks,do you hear any squeeling or grinding noise,if they are down like he said,they would do one or both of what I posted.take it to a mechanic you know and trust,let him check it for you.theses chain shops are just in it for the money,dont trust them.