2009 Jeep Patroit Wont Crank Over???

Asked by Jun 24, 2014 at 07:40 AM about the 2009 Jeep Patriot Sport

Hello, I have a 2009 Jeep Patroit that keeps giving me problems starting.  We have replaced the battery and the starter in the past few days.  Thrusday-wouldnt start-replaced the battery- ran great untill Saturday, got it started and then they replaced the starter.  And now today Tuesday it wont start aging.  I have lights, radio and power but it will not crank over at all.  It only makes 1 click when i turn the key. . . . Any one have any suggestions????

Thanks  :-)

43,815

Try putting a volt meter on the battery as it sits right now. See what it has for volts. If it's below 12, you may have a charging issue. Your jeep may need a fully charged battery to start. If the battery is at 10.8 volts, your alternator may be bad and not charging your battery back to full capacity. After testing the battery at rest, test it again with the engine running. You will have to jump it. Put the tester on the voltage side of the alternator. You should get a reading of 13.8 or higher. If you get something around 12 or less, you will have to replace your alternator.

43,815

Forgot to mention that if you have a key with a chip in it, that may also be the problem. I have heard that they can build up static on the key and the computer can't read it. Try touching the key to metal before starting the Jeep. See if that works.......

Thanks, the battery is fully charged. It was hooked up to a jumper box this morning and still would not crank over. I have read about the key issue to, I think that is my last resort.

The only reason I havent went with the Key issue, is I have 2 sets and it wont work with eaither of them. . .

43,815

Come to think of it, I think my buddy had a problem with his. I think he was trying to start it with the Valet key. Are both of your keys chipped? If not, only use the one with a chip.

Yes they are both chipped, and I have tried to start it with both of them.

43,815

Ok, just did some digging, apparently Jeep has a class action law suit against them for faulty electrical. Here's what I found:A no crank or no start condition may develop due to electronic lockup of the wireless control module (WCM), also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM). When this module fails the remote keyless entry system will also not operate. The WCM is commonly replaced to correct this concern. There was another electrical issue with the TIP module. If you have to replace that it's like $1200 bucks. I think the WCM is about $260 to replace......

Thank you, I will have them test them. It just is weird cause it startes sometimes and my keyless entry works.

175

I own a 2009 Jeep Patriot Limited with the same issues, the dealer has had mine for almost 2 weeks, claiming parts are back ordered and that there is no recall regarding such as well as that these internal electrical issues are not covered under the warranty. I am paying payments on a vehicle that sits at the dealers service department while I am carless!! Just don't seem right... How do you suggest I get involved with this class action lawsuit?

10

Was this issue ever resolved? I have the same exact problem. Intermittent starting for a few days, then finally had to get towed home. Keyless entry works, but I just hear a click in the dash when I turn the key. Battery is fine, starter is fine (put 12V to the relay wire and it turns over). I'm not even going to consider dropping 1200 on the WCM beings that the locks work. Any help is appreciated.

10

I had the same problem in a 2015 patriot...I figured out that if you turn the key onto auxiliary, push in the brake, put it in drive for a couple seconds, put it back in park, turn the key off wait a second then crank it again, it fires right up.

Hey guys I replaced my battery and alternator. I still have to boost it. I get all the right volts and everything. Is this the issue I've tried both my keys as well. Has anyone fixed this issue

I am having the same issue currently on my 2010, has anyone figured out the issue?

Looks like a recurring issue , I have a 2010 and it driving me crazy. I do not have a keyless entry, and I have changed the battery and starter. Let me know if anyone finds a solution.

I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot. Obviously, we're looking at a reoccurring problem because I got up Monday morning, attempted to start my car, and it wouldn't start. It appeared to be an issue with the battery, and since I had the battery for four years, I just assumed it was time to get another. I waited for a moment, and then it miraculously started. So, I couldn't let it rest, went to Auto Zone, and the service rep tested the battery, and he claimed the battery was bad; therefore, I quickly purchased a new battery and took it to Express Oil to put it in for me. They put new ends on the battery cables, and everything started nicely after that. So, about two and a half hours ago, I finished up at the gym, walked out to my car, attempted to start it, and all I heard was clicking noises. The people at this particular gym are extremely nice and tried to give me a jump, but nothing came of it. In fact, I found it quite odd that one moment the car seemed to have a little power to the radio and dome, but then when I tried to start it, everything went black. Well, I went to remove the positive cable, scooted it up a bit, and something told me to make another attempt at starting the car. All of a sudden, it started like magic. I don't believe in magic. I'm wondering if there's a shortage between the battery and the starter. When I drove home, I didn't have any problems. I drove all the way to my house in another town, turned off the car, waited a few minutes, and then turned it back on. After that, I drove to the gas station, turned off the car, filled up, and then turned it back on. Everything functioned as I hoped it would.

I have Jeep Patrior 2007, same problem as many of you people have. Battery is new. when I turn the key It makes 4-5 click then silence And after 3-4 try, start is taking. I add some mobil engine oil then 7-8 days working without any trouble. After 7-8 days again the same problem. Mechanic suggest me to change the 'self' (starter). Confused ...what to do.