I am looking for help with a 2009 santa fe in which the paint is coming off(delaminating),any recalls

60

Asked by Jan 23, 2015 at 04:36 PM about the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD

I have a 2009 Hyundai santa fe white in which I bought used from a major local car dealer and now the roof paint is peeling off(delamination) ,I have informed the dealer in July 2014 after I got the car back from them having it for 30 days for items they were supposed to fix which they did not finish,.The dealer avoids answering me ,are there recalls.???

60

Also are any class action suits around in this ,I have seen other web pages with the delamination but no solving

2,785

Don, most manufacturers never do recalls on paint problems. The best you could hope for is the dealer you purchased it from will split the cost of the restoration with you, and I doubt you will get that on a 6 year old model from anyone! Your best hope is to find another reputable shop, get the car fully inspected in writing with an estimate for the repairs, then file a notice of intent to file a lawsuit on the dealer that sold you the car. At that point, I am fairly sure they would be willing to repair all your issues (except the paint) rather than have to fight it in court. You will in all likely-hood have to either live with the crappy paint job or pay out of your pocket to have it restored someplace. As to recalls on this car, go to: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/hyundai/santa_fe/recalls/

60

My 2009 white Santa few is peeling on the hood and roof. It is very extensive. Cost to fix exceeds 7000. Took it to 2 auto body shops. Both said vehicle wasn't primed prior to painting. Returned to Curry Hyundai in Westchester County NY. No Help at all. Paint covered up to 3000 miles, I have 42000... Reached out to Hyundai consumer affairs Will gladly post outcome once they respond.

170

If you have similar paint problems to Sandy and Don on your 2007 to 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, contact the law firm of Williamson Sears & Rusnak in Houston Texas and ask for Mike Kerensky.

170

30

I have a white 2009 santa fe and my son was washing it for me and the paint came off on the hood, etc. I contacted my insurance company and they will cover it but I have a $500 deductible. So in doing some research, I found out this seems to be a common occurrence. Did anyone have any luck with the dealer or manufacturer?

20

I also have a the exact same issue and my 2009 Santa Fe is Pearl white. I'm the second owner and bought it with 24,000 miles on it. My vehicle started peeling at 67,000 miles and now it is very extensive. Forced into making a decision on what to do with it now due to small spots of rust showing up. Either pay $5800 to have it stripped and repainted, drive it until it rusts through, or trade it in "under water" since I still owe on it. I will never purchase another Hyundai vehicle again!

2,785

To copper1107, contact the law firm mentioned a couple of posts up on his page.

30

I have a black 2009 Hyundai Sante Fe (48,000 miles) which I brought new and the paint on the hood just started to chip. Also the handles on the doors & truck are badly faded. The buttons on the radio also have faded. I'm the only one who drives this car and I take care of it. This is my second new Hyundai and it will be my last.

40

My 2009 Santeria February has also started to have the paint peel off. I am so upset about this!!

40

Sorry... auto correct changed Santa Fe above, and as I went to correct it, I accidentally clicked submit. Anyway, if anyone has any luck with getting this issue resolved, please let us know what steps you took. This is so frustrating! $40k mistake in my opinion. We've also had to replace sway bar links and wheel bearing hub. My transmission is also recently acting up. Last Hyundai I'll ever buy, that's for sure.

40

My 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe in Pearl White is doing the same thing! It all started with a rock chip and now it is peeling everywhere. Has anyone gotten any information from the manufacturer or a dealer? I seem to be getting no where myself.

20

Yes I have a 2008 Santa Fe with peeling paint and tried while under warranty to have it fixed. Was told a chemical from road caused it. Have seen and taken pictures of same year/ model with same issue. So.., obvious a manufacturer problem. Bought 2 new ones, won't buy another .

50

I have 2009 and same issue here on the Hood, A-Pillar and Roof. Living in MI, who/where I should contact to resolve this issue?

30

We have the exact same issue with a 2009 Santa Fe. We are the original owners and the car had less that 30K miles on it when it started. I'm pursuing it with the dealer and will push it to corporate. I am also going to contact the law firm in Houston that was mentioned earlier. This is obviously a defect in the paint. Hopefully with this many vehicles having the same problem we can get them to take care of it. Don't give up people!!

45

I have the same issue!! I purchased a 2009 brand new. When my I hit 26,000 miles in 2013 the paint was peeling like crazy. I fought with the dealership and Hyundai directly for over a year before the dealership just painted it to shut me up. Less than 6 months later it started peeling in the same spot PLUS the roof is peeling like crazy, the front passenger door, the trunk right below the window. Not to mention there is rust on top of the paint along with tiny bubbles near the rear tires, when I had this looked that they were baffled and said they have never seen anything like it but they refuse to fix it.

30

OMG!!! Mine 2009 Santa Fe is doing the same thing! We asked the dealership about it and they said nobody has ever reported this problem. Mine is the roof and now the hood. Is it too late to contact that law firm?

45

Terri ~ This is who I contacted! Everyone has been super nice and helpful. Feel free to tell them Daniella referred you to them! I know they submitted papers already but they might be able to do an amendment or something?? Good luck! They respond very quickly First Tennessee Plaza 800 S. Gay Street, Suite 1100 Knoxville, TN 37929 865-243-3495 Direct Dial 865-247-0080 Main Line 865-522-0049 Facsimile www.gregcolemanlaw.com

30

Thank you so much! Can I ask if there is a fee to do anything?

50

Go to below website to add your case. http://www.classaction.org/hyundai-paint-lawsuit

10

I too am frustrated.....I just purchased an 09 and washed it 2 days later and boom the paint is coming off like crazy.....hadn't even made the first payment...took it back to the dealer and they said I'm sorry paint isn't covered in the warranty....so I called headauaters....they said I'm so sorry you can get it fix and we can deferr a car payment.....that's no deal to me. I believe there should be a lawsuit to fix our problems. I need help. Too. Lisa Wroten from gastonia nc

My 2013 Santa Fe has same issue - obviously still not resolved 4 model years later. Paint started peeling on hood 36 1/2 months after purchase. Miles higher than "average" but paint should definitely hold on for the life of the car.

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE-Pearl White-100k miles Just spoke with a nice lady at Williamson, Sears & Rusnak who is all too familiar with this issue. I had her add my name and vehicle to the growing list of complaints. She asked if it was white, like she had a crystal ball. It is white and she said the overwhelming majority of the issues have been with that color. Mine is the pearl finish but not sure if that's important. Peeling worst on forward corners of hood and where windshield meets roof.

My 2008 WHITE Sante Fe has identical paint problems as those pictured and described above. I am definitely contacting the law firm in Houston and have added my case to classaction.org I love my Hyundai, it's a great vehicle, but I am embarrassed at how it looks now!

10

Does any one know the phone number of the law office in Houston Texas. I need help with this paint coming off my so call blue santa fe. Thanks

10

GASP!!!! I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUES WITH MY WHITE 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The paint on my roof, around my windshield and the hood is all flaking off!!!! I bought it used from a auto sales place in MN.

10

Here is an up close picture of my 2009 WHITE Hyundai Santa Fe

2,785

Telly you can clearly see oilly contamination on the primer of your car which proves poor prep and handling prior to the finish coat being applied. As to Dtirone013, yours appears to have been improperly rust proofed befor priming and also possibly poor prep and handling between the primer coat and the finsih, compounded by moisture being trapped underneath one or both of the coatings. As for IJ125's problem, I can see enough detail to determine their cause, but I suspect it is the same. It would be interestingg to know which plant all these cars were from, US or Korea. I own a 2011 and so far no paint problems at all. As soon as I get a chance, I will pull my window sticker out and post the Plant mine is from back here.

10

I too have an 09 santa fe and paint is coming off. The body shop said it's a defect in the paint...7000 to repaint....I just contacted Williamson sears and rusnak in Houston tx.. 713 223 3330..I spoke with Marsha and she said they are getting information together for a lawsuit...so I encourage all who has a problem..get in contact with them......they were very helpful...considering the dealships won't help. But surely it's a problem..... Lisa Wroten from Gastonia nc

30

JP1956 I pulled out my original window sticker for my 2009 Santa Fe and it says that "Part Content" is US/Canadian - 40% and Korea - 60%. The engine and transmission are from Korea as well. Has anyone else looked at their sticker? JP1956? Has anyone heard anything back from the lawfirms contacted?

I'm so glad I googled this...my 2009 white Santa Fe is loosing paint by the day...I'll contact the law firm on Monday.

45

I have been dealing with: www.gregcolemanlaw.com So far they seem very nice! its all the BS waiting games, in the mean time my car is getting worse and worse!

I have a 2009 santa fe that I bought new from the dealer. The paint started peeling on the front hood only at about 35000 miles. I am the only owner and driver and I try to take care of it. I just contacted the first firm that I saw on the post. Has anyone gotten anything done with this.

this is my 2009

10

I contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs about this (my 2009 Pearl White Santa Fe has paint flaking off it (hood & roof)). Hyundai Consumer Affairs opened a case file for me... a dealership who felt I had a defective paint on this car filled out the case file report for me (as required). My case was DECLINED by Hyundai Consumer Affairs. I am so frustrated about this!!! I am looking to join a Class action law suite about this... any suggestions?