Where is the 'Camshaft Position Sensor' located on a 09' Chevy HHR?

665

Asked by Jun 18, 2013 at 09:04 AM about the 2009 Chevrolet HHR LT1

Where is the  "Camshaft Position Sensor"  located on a 09' Chevy HHR? I understand this part will cause the 'Check Engine Light' to come on and off!

40

don't have an answer I wouldn't ask

90

Good question! Mine is bad and my mechanic said I must take it to the dealer as it's a terrible job and he didn't want to do it. There is one located at the front of the engine compartment that looks to me, easy enough to switch out but perhaps there is more than one?? What do I know, I'm a girl :(

665

Hi Susan, You are right! There are 2 sensors and it is the one in the front of the engine that I found needed to be replaced. I went to Advanced Auto and bought a new one for $67.00 and put it in myself in under 1/2 hour. For the first few days, the Check Engine light was still on even after they cleared the code. But after that and driving it about 100 miles or so, it started to go on and off while driving. Now, 2 weeks later, it hasn't come on at all. This front sensor is for the 'Camshaft Position Sensor' as well as for the 'Tracking Control' and my problem started when I used the tracking control button on the dash just to try it. The 'Back Sensor', behind the engine, is for fuel mixture and emissions. This is the hard one to get at and usually doesn't cause a problem to alert the Check Engine Light to come on! As for you, being just a girl, lol, I have to give you credit on searching out this problem and want to "Thank You" for your response and getting back to me... ;-) ..... But I, being just a guy, lol, now have the experience on this installation and can probably do this job again in less that 15 minutes...! lol {The hardest part of this replacement was getting out the little grey clip that holds the plug into the sensor.} Now I have another question? What is that little metal hook loop on the floor in front of the drivers seat for? Do you have one there? Thanks Again, and Wishing You All the Best, Don De Bo

30

to hold your floor mat in place

665

Thanks Melvin! Now I know for sure.....

30

I have had to replace each on my 2006 HHR. Took about 1/2 hour for the front one, as it is easy to get to, but the rear one I had to remove the air cleaner and it was difficult to get to. Took about an hour to do and get reassembled.

The hook is to hold the cheesy floor mats that came with the car

150

Where is the map sensor located for a 2008 hhr

20

Your info helped. I have a 2006 HHR K/t /they replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor but the car still makes the jerky feeling that I took it in for.. As you drive sown the road shen you start the whole car will jerk and as it changes speed the jerk gets less and everytime I have to stop and go it goes thru this whole routine..I thought it was a transmission but their computer said it was the above. I have paid for that and have to take it back..I am a 87 year old widow. Can anyone help me??

Okay I fix mine and I'll help you. The transmission shift hard and jerks is because the mass air flow sensor is either unplugged or the mass air sensor is faulty. The mass air flow sensor is under the air intake it has a plug to it. It this is unplugged or doesn't work the car will shift and jerk the transmission. Now if the tract control t/c is on dash turn it off because you must turned it on and did not notice you did it like I did. To turn it of turn key to on but do not start hold the brake down and shift to lower on your shifter this will turn it back on and the t/c light will come off. Mines all fix. Now have someone to clear all codes. Fix.

10

Can anyone post a pix as to where both sensors are? we changed one and can't find the other. Thanks if anyone can

can someone please tell me if the cam position sensor on the 09 HHR is the SAME PART needed for the back cam pos sensor that is for fuel and emissions? I want to make sure I get 2 if it's the same part.