Chevy 2009 cobalt will not start; when the key is turned to the start position nothing happens (no clicks or other noise; headlights do no dim). Everything else seems to work.

10

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 03:06 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

Every thing seems to be working but car will not start.  Tried jumping with a battery charger/booster even swapped batteries with another car.  When the key is turned to the start position nothing happens.  All the lights on the dash goes out (like they should) and if I have the headlights on they do not dim when the key is turned to the start position

16,045

You said "nothing happens" and if you mean "nothing" then your solenoid is (at the least) not charging; otherwise you should hear a click

10

Solenoid does not click. Check the solenoid and I am getting 12.6 volts from the battery to the solenoid.

16,045

you answered your own question - the solenoid isn't engaging because .....

107,675

Hold up. That's a colbalt take it to your dealer ASAP. There are way to many recalls on these to even start to list them. But one is for the ignition switch. Failure to have recals taken care of can lead to serious injury or death.

107,675

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/chevrolet/cobalt/recalls/

107,675

Please have this car checked out ASAP. Hell if recalls have not been taken care of yet I would call dealer and have it towed to them.

3,745

Hello DarkOva, We are sorry to hear that you are having these concerns with your 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt not starting. I understand that you are seeking thoughts and advice from your fellow forum members, however, we are always here to help if you have any lingering questions or need any help reaching out to your dealership. You are welcome to send an email to socialmedia@gm.com if you need additional assistance. Thank you, Andraya GM Customer Care

1,015

I'm sure it's part of the many recalls that are listed for the Cobalt.Have it towed in, ask nicely for a substitute car, and don't pick it back up until it's ready.

16,045

dandyoun already got somebody at GM interested - way to go dandyoun

3,785

Not sure if the symptoms of the ignition recall include failure to start, but that is a possibility, otherwise I would suspect the starter is at fault if everything else is working. Any GM dealer can look up your vehicle's serial number (VIN) and tell you if it is subject to any other recalls and if so whether the work has been done.