does anyone have any idea why my lights flicker, all my light inside and out

280

Asked by Nov 26, 2012 at 05:37 PM about the 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 4WD

my lights flicker when on inside and out my dash,head lights interior everything

12,775

what engine is it equipped with. and does it do it all the time or just when you start it in the morning or after its sat for a long time?

20,005

Diodes in the alternator are going, this is most noticable at idle. Check for bad connectons at battery , alternator and grounds.

12,775

Not necessarily Chrysler charging systems are highly based off of battery temperature. This truck has battery temperature sensors in the battery tray, dodge trucks cycle the PCM controlled voltage regulator on and off at a set voltage of 12.8 volts until the batteries reach a specified temperature, this will cause dash, over head, and head lights to pulsate.

280

It does it once the lights get turned on and has gotten worse sometimes more then others, its like i have huge amp in there. lol, I have had people pull over thinking I was a cop behind them. not sure if I need to take it to dodge or I can fix it just need some guidance

280

Dan it has the cummings

12,775

Does it happen all the time, or when the truck is cold like has sat over night, or for a number of hours?

405

My '03 Cummins equipped truck does the same thing when the grid heater kicks on and off. I can watch the lights in the truck dim and my headlights will slightly dim and then come back on. Only notice this when it's cold enough for the grid heater to come into play.

20,005

Thats just because the heater draws alot of current. Similar things happen when ac kicks on or things like that.

12,775

The grids only make the lights flicker because on a cold start the BCM is reading battery temp, and only charging at a 12.5 volts just enough to keep from damaging ECM contained injector drivers. chrysler picked a shitty way to build their charging system which is why I run a GM style 1 wire alternator on my 05 Cummins.

405

I was stating this fact as a possible solution to the OP, not looking for an answer to a problem. Maybe this is what he is noticing.

12,775

Yeah thats what I was gonna tell him if he replied to my question that I asked like 4 posts up about ambient temperature, my guess is he figured it out himself haha

15

it is just the grid heaters turning on and off, no problem normal operation

100

It is not the grid heater, listen to the symptoms. He didn't say dimmed down, he said pulse like cop headlights. I have had many Dodge trucks, and now my '07 is having this pulsing problem. Instead of guessing, it would be nice if someone who really has had this happen and had it fixed would reply.

12,775

Sorry, let me just miracle it fixed. I dont even know why I continue to put information out on this any way. its absolutely useless talking to what 90% of the time are knowledgeless people. If you want your truck fixed, drive to Conway, South Carolina, and I will gladly fix it for you instead of just give away good information and starting points that youre going to ignore any way. but I just want to know, if youre so sure that its not the grid heater, why your problem fixed?

75

my 08 dodge with cummins does the same. interior and exterior lights dim and brighten & the engine lopes at an idle. I turn the blower motor fan on high it stops and everthing is normal. I come out in the morning and sometimes I need to jump start it and sometimes I dont. I dont know if it is a battery or the alternator. It doesnt do it all the time but more frequently in the last couple weeks now.

20

I have the same issue with my '08 Cummins. The interior and headlights pulse. They will do that for a while and then they will quit, only to start again later. At first I noticed it more when it was cold, but now I have seen it do this at 60 or 70 degrees. I took it to the dealer 2x and each time I was told it was a known problem and the turbo pre-heater draws so much current it causes the lights to pulse, I don't know if that is accurate or not, but sometimes people pull over and get out of my way. I guess they figure it is a police truck behind them.

10

I know exactly what he is talking about. It has nothing to do with the truck being a diesel. My 1993 Dodge W-150 which is gas does the same thing. My head lights and dash lights flash off and on. I have replaced the light switch and the plug in the switch plugs into. Still haven't found the solution.

20

All warning..idiot lights flicker on and off

30

I went through an alternator and that didn't help. Found out it was one of my batteries!!! Stopped flickering when I replaced my bad battery. Guess the alternator was wigging out and spasms when one battery goes out.

Thank You all...Glad to know I am not alone. Just scary to be driving at night and my headlights go off...I called dealership where I bought truck and the service dept said they never heard of this and since I am out of warranty would charge me 95 dollars to look at it. I am going to cancel appt ...Doesn't seem like anyone has had luck fixing. Truck is a 2013 bought new. Now has 23k on it. Just started doing it a lot recently...frustrated.

I had this exact problem on my 04 Mitsubishi eclipse. One of the only aftermarket parts was a pep boys alternator. Everything tested fine, battery was fine, grounds everything. No one could figure it out. But I noticed that the lights flickered more when I gave it gas. So I put a meter on it, and as always it showed the proper voltage when idling etc. Then I watch the meter while I reved the engine and it went all the way up to 15.4 V So it was a bad voltage regulator. Pep Boys replaced the alternator under warranty and the problem was fixed.

FYI - max voltage should be no more than about 14.4 V and should idle around 13.4 - 13.8 V

10

Let me confirm 2 things. My 2008 6.7 had it's light flickering basically all the time. It was the grid heater relay. My 2007 6.7 I'm in now has no grid heater or grid heater relay I checked power connections . Recently changed belt n water pump. I double checked belt configuration. Now what

Had exact same problem. One bad battery. Changed out batteries and no more problems. 07 Ram 6.7.

Ours was the ground wire to the bright/dim switch. It was connected to plastic by a metal screw. My husband screwed it to a metal plate and it works fine. Plastic got old and broke causing the ground wire to juggle loose from the natal screw.