Considering a 2008 Range Rover HSE, 94k miles, for 18K....deal or not?

20

Asked by Jan 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM about the 2008 Land Rover Range Rover HSE

Well maintained, owned by family member who is getting a new one. Just want to drive
it for two years for fun then resell for close to what I paid and get a vehicle with third
row seats for kids. Checked kbb and it seems like a good price. Good risk?

19,185

Well these are known for blowing head gaskets at around 80-100,000 miles. It usually runs up to $3,000 for the repairs. They do not have to get hot. They blow just because of age. Buy at your own risk.

20

Good to know, that's the kind of info. I was looking for. You didn't comment on the price....issues aside...is it lowish like I think or are there plenty out there at this price?

19,185

Not a bad price.

245

i have a 2008 landrover with 113k for $14,995 IS THAT A GOOD DEAL ??? SEE MINE AT www.autocarlink.net

3,340

That is a good price, but be forewarned: Land Rovers are extremely maintenance intensive. They will eat you alive with repair bills if you aren't on top of the service schedule. That also goes for buying a used LR. If youre not familiar with its service history, or the seller cant provide records, I wouldn't buy one. Doing the repairs yourself will save a ton of money, but parts themselves are expensive. If youre prepared to deal with all that, then pull the trigger on it. They are some of the best vehicles money can buy.

115

It is acctually a very good price at 18k and they do not have any problems with head gaskets they are a very solid engine just change your oil on time u will have a very nice car I own a parts and repair shop for land rovers only if u need any parts or have any questions about ur landy just feel free to give us a call u can visit my website it is theroverspot.com u can find my contact info in there mike

19,185

Unfortunately my 2005 Range Rover HSE head gasket is shot and needs to be replaced. It has 73k miles on it. My local mechanic (family friend) cant fix it because it requires tools he doesnt have so I have to take it to the dealership . My mechanic said to be careful at the dealership because they can run up other costs on ya and the car will never be the same. 2 - Hi Everyone, I've been lurking on the site for a while but finally registered as a member. I have a couple question's I 'd like some opinions on. I have a 2005 RR HSE with the 4.4L V8. It has 69k miles and is in excellent shape original condition but apparently has recentlyblown a head gasket on the right bank. The 2 center cylinders have app. 25psi. of compression. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done head gaskets on a 4.4L or just replaced the engine. I really don't want to get burried in this thing and may just sell it as is 3- I am losing coolant and the shop told me that my head gaskets are leaking. I've been losing about a water bottle's worth of coolant every few days and I've just been refilling it as needed. This has been going on for a few months but it seems to be getting worse. I really can't see shit as far as evidence of leaks goes. No real deposits around the engine, no fluids dripping, no drops on garage floor. I had it in for an oil change the other day and that is when one of their techs ID'd the head gaskets as the culprit (he's a former Land Rover tech now working at the independent import shop where I take my Rover). They said the coolant is being forced out while the engine is running 4- 2. your Freelander you should:(i) Have a routine modify of the head gasket to a modified multi-layer gasket by 75,000 miles- this will be a lot more affordable than sorting it out following it has blown.(ii) Examine your h2o level weekly and be aware any unusually higher utilization or oilresidue in the water reservoir.(iii) Often use the suggested antifreeze in with the drinking water and top up the drinkingwater reservoir when necessary.(iv) Check out your oil stage weekly and view for any mixing of water with the oil.(v) Have your oil changed at every 12,000 mile provider.(vi) Hold an eye on your temperature gauge and observe if it is working hotter than normal (itneed to generally sit around the half way mark when the engine has heated up).It is paramount to Cease DRIVING your Freelander if it is:freelander, 2013 freelander No they don't have any problems. This was just a small example of the bigger problem they have.

20

Well, there you have it. 18K is a good price, but plenty of people have experienced serious issues. Roverdude25, too bad we are not on the same coast. If we pull the trigger on this I have no idea where to take it for service other than the dealer. If i knew i could get repairs at a reasonable price that might make a difference. Anyone with recommendations on service providers in the Harrisbug PA area I would appreciate it.

10

im looking at an 04 with 145xxx miles. is that too much to even try to spend time on?

10

@asdfghjkl12345 Don't know if you made your purchase yet but I'm leery of anything that high in mileage. I'm selling my 2008 HSE Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged with just under 75,000 miles for $20,000. Feel free to email me at work Premiere.REPA@gmail.com if you're interested. We're in Southern NJ

10

@419slimjim I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel but we are in Southern New Jersey and I take my 2008 HSE Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged to a phenomenal repair guy with beyond a reasonable prices His name is Tim he's the owner of ProImports in Collingswood, NJ about 30 minutes outside of CC Philadelphia. (856) 751-9400... Tell him Necia sent you

Where would a owner of a 2008 HSE Land Rover in need of repaires take it in Colorado, where you wouldn't get shafted and wish you had just purchased a new one?