I have a 2008 Chevy cobalt It won't move either in drive or reverse unless I Rev it to 3000 rpm

20

Asked by Jun 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

110,105

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/chevrolet/cobalt/recalls/ -- sorry but just have to ask. Have you had all the recalls done on your car? If not please take it to your dealer ASAP. Serious injury or death can occur with this vehicle if recalled items are not addressed promptly.

20

No I just bought from a used car dealer about 2 moths ago maybe

110,105

I would call your local dealer and get them to run your vin number. This should let them know what all you need repaired for recalls

20

K thank you dadyon

There were sure a lot of recalls on the 2008 Cobalt, several involving ignition switch

3,875

What any of this has to do with a transmission problem I have no idea. Get a grip people. Meanwhile... sounds like your transmission is quite likely done. Check the fluid. It should be at or near the full mark and should be a pinkish color and not smell burnt. If its low, as in not showing on the dipstick, fill it up. However this is only a temporary fix. Transmission levels normally don't go down unless there is a leak or some other problem. I would take it straight to a reputable transmission shop and get it evaluated. Transmissions never fix themselves and the longer you wait, the more expensive it tends to get.

110,105

Munron: YOU GET A GRIP. PEOPLE ARE DIEING BECAUSE OF THESE RECALL ITEMS. IF THE RECALL ITEMS HAVE NOT BEEN FIXED THEN ITS THE SAFEST THING FOR THE OWNER OF THIS VEHICLE TO LEAVE IT PARKED AND UNDRIVEN FOR EVER.

3,875

LOL No, that is totally untrue. If you did your homework you would know that the only thing that needs to be done to make the ignition safe in she short term is to remove all unnecessary key, fobs, etc. from the key chain so movement won't pull a faulty ignition into the off position unexpectedly. GM has sent me three reminders to do this while we have all been waiting for parts to become available as I'm sure they have done for all Cobalt owners. I got a notice from my local dealership last week saying they now have parts on hand so I'll be getting mine fixed soon, and I'm assuming most other parts of North America are in the same boat. Don't yell, you'll strain your virtual vocal cords. :) I marked your post as helpful to help your score.

110,105

Ok I see your point and I did my homework but did not trust the temp fix. And i do not feel good about giving any one advise to remove extra keys to keep from getting seriously injured or killed if vehicle acts up anyway. In my opinion removing the extra keys is only thier way of trying to make you feel safe while you have to wait on parts. I am glad they are trying to make this right with thier customers. And so sorry for the caps but it gets my goat when I feel safety is not being put first priority. I see now that that's not what you were doing. Drive safe.

3,875

Thank-you. I appreciate your reply.