2008 Toyota Camry Solara will not start....

Asked by Nov 16, 2016 at 08:11 PM about the 2008 Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible

2008 Toyota Camry Solara will not start. It sounds as if it is out of gas but has gas in it. The battery was changed but is not the issue. Bells ding and radio works fine. I had the fuel pump checked and that is not the issue. It was thought to be a cam sensor(i think that's right) and the car worked for a week fine. I parked it but the next time I tried to start it, it would not start. Please help!

6,805

First thing you need to do is to make sure battery is fully charged, should read minimum of 12.4vdc, spray some quick start in the throttle body and see if it starts for a bit, if it does, it's fuel related issue. Check fuel pressure at the rail. If it doesn't, check for spark at the spark plugs. If it was already diagnosed with a bad cam sensor, replace it and see what happens

6,805

It can also be the crank sensor but you'll need a live scanner to test them unless you know how to check them with a volt meter

Once the cam sensor was replaced, that is when it ran for a week but then would not start again once I parked it. It seemed fine with no issues at that time. The mechanic replaced the sensor because the fuel pump was working. Reading the reviews, now I know to have the crank sensor as well. Someone also suggested checking the ECM fuse and Ignition coil. Is that so?

6,805

Yes, it can be any of these things but that's why you need to follow a troubleshooting method and not just guessing otherwise you're gonna end up spending a lot of money and still not fixing the problem. Follow the instructions above. If you have fuel, spark at the spark plugs, why would you replace PCM?, it may be a compression or timing issue but if you can afford it, replace those items you'll have a 50-50 chance it'll work. Good luck!

Wondering if you figured out the issue my 2006 is having the same problems and idk what too do..