My 2008 corolla vibrates more when I turned on the A/C...any advice???

450

Asked by Aug 28, 2013 at 04:28 PM about the 2008 Toyota Corolla S

I've got 2008 corolla and after few other problems were fixed,I'm having this terribly annoying problem of vibration.I can feel the steering and my seat vibrating and when I drive it becomes less.I had changed my engine mounting earlier because of the vibration and it was very well but this vibration is something different....any advice?

one of the pulleys has some foreign substance on it...take it to a shop where they can clean it~....also could be a worn belt~...they can change your belt, and probably the tensioner which is worn and causing the belt to slip to one side not allowing smooth operation...yes, belt, tensioner and pulley maintenance....final ruling of the judge~...

Gavel Down. smack. Next Case.

If this happens when rolling am going to have to suspect a CV joint/axle...if it happens when the engine is running must be the tensioner and belt~

yeah but OP GreasyFinger says less while driving, which led me away from that Judge and back to bearing wobbling/vibrating in a pulley. Or a misfire less noticeable at speed. An OBD scan on this one might not tell us much, would not show anything about CV joints, but sure be nice to help but allow us to begin a process of elimination. A 2008 is really too soon for that, any problems at all actually unless there is a LOT of mileage. And the A/C clutch...he did mention that.

shimmy under the car with a dull screwdriver and poke at the CV boots and see if they are cracked and letting all of that poisonous grease out~...failure of the joint will follow soon thereafter~

Not a bad idea, but a 2008....boots should be fine unless cut by road hazard or some caustic chemical somehow....wild guessing..my 2006 are OE and look (almost) new .just went out and looked at mine and actually can be seen from under hood more easily than from under,

the compressor bearings will show under load~ these bad boys are supposed to be "hermetically sealed" which is impossible unless there's a magnetic coupling of the compressor shaft~.think the thing is wobbling under load and perhaps by a worn tensioner~ suspecting now a compressor who's bearings show under load...would have to do a little testing to verify this hypothesis~

450

Thanks for the reply guys but I had recently changed my car's engine belts and tensioner and after that everything was alright but it started just few days back.The vibration starts when I turned on my A/C but when I turned it off its just 10% only.Still trying to figure it out and I guess have to go some garage to get it inspect.

dang it GreasyFinger we tried.....and Corollas are my bag....ain't done yet pal. gonna get to the bottom of this

admit it, have NEVER seen the wicked oscillations under load.....sounds like a loose mounting bracket~

in retrospect have seen this condition on a twin timing belt Subaru...the alternator bracket was mounted in a very precarious (non-Toyota) fashion which caused the bracket to crack~

Best Answer
20

Pl check the engine mount. Is your AC cooler replaced???I face the same problem with my Corolla AE100. My rpm is 900. Once I got up to speed rpm=1000, this problem seemed to go away.