why does the car not accelerate

Asked by Oct 05, 2013 at 02:50 PM about the 2008 Toyota Corolla CE

I was in traffic and put the gear on neutral, when vehicles started moving while taking the gear from neutral to drive it made a funny jerking sound and suddenly could accelerate afterwards. the car was moving and the engine was working fine but i couldn't drive at a high speed when the road was free. i told my mechanic t look at it and he changed the fuel filter as well as the camshaft timing sensor. but as i speak the problem still persist. today i noticed that it does that when i hold the brakes for too long. could you please advice what could be possibly wrong and how to correct it.

Did you see the mechanic change the fuel filter? Did he have the BACK SEAT out? The filter is inside the gas tank,suggest you demand to see OLD fuel filter, it is a fine mesh bag. Yes, a bag. And I think you mean camshaft position sensor...close, same thing. Is your CEL (check Engine Light) lit up? before the mechanic had the car, and now? If so Get your OBD codes scanned and come back, we will figure it out. Most auto parts houses will scan them free. If your CEL is not lighted, please tell us that. Thanks A 2008 should no way, no how, need a fuel filter unless somebody poured sand in your tank

What grabs my attention: "The engine was working fine"....pointing me in another direction than engine trouble, especially fuel filter, I am highly suspicious of that even being done. Have you checked your transmission fluid? Or do you have a manual transmission? If so we may be talking clutch issues. Your mechanic obviously was no help, except to wear the numbers right off your credit card...for nothing

Dear David, thanks for your prompt response. the fuel pump was what he changed and he gave me the one he removed from it. I saw the back seat pulled out. afterwards, he scanned the car and the error code that was the camshaft sensor which he changed, he rescanned the car and was able to clear the CEL. but after testing the car the problem reoccurred and the check engine light came up again. as for the transmission fluid which I think you're referring to the gear oil, I changed it this morning as the guys at the service centre said the one that was there was burnt and smelling already. so as I speak the gear oil has been changed. but the problem still occurred today about three times.

OK. Forgive me. I over reacted to the fuel filter thing....your mechanic is not the crook I first thought..sorry 'bout that. But it happens. But not being at the car, they are in a better position to figure it out than I am, best of luck and again I apologize for my knee jerk reaction.

Sure, the clutch can be replaced. It is a moderate job...not minor, not major work. There is a distinct odor of a burnt up clutch, if you have detected an unidentified odor, that just might be what it is, the clutch slipping. The cost can vary, I hesitate to venture a guess. But if the CEL is lit again, there is a yet undetected fault somewhere also, unless it has been scanned again already

Toyota Matrix, both Check Engine light and ABS light on. The car does not accelerate. not more than 20Km/hour even after gas pedal on the floor. What are the probable causes ?

its ok David, you haven't done anything wrong. I appreciate your responses and it is quite educating. if you think it is a clutch problem, can the clutch be changed?