Radio Antenna

80

Asked by Aug 22, 2014 at 01:52 PM about the 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

I have just purchased a 2008 Grand Marquis GS. I caanot believe that I didnt check out the radio before I took ownership but anyway I remember being told the antenna was in the windshield. After the car was delivered I turned the radio on and a motorized antenna started to extend from the rear right fender. I listen to the news on AM and the reception is awful. So my question is why do I have an antenna and why is the reception so bad.

36,175

The reception is bad because the antenna is not correctly hooked up. It probably is the in the cable.

80

Okay but why do I have a motorized antenna. Why is it not hooked up to the windshield antenna Which I can see.

72,465

Your radio antenna is in the back window (I have the same car). The two wires that go top to bottom on the window are the antenna. You also have an antenna module. The antenna cable goes from the radio to the antenna module. The antenna module, which amplifies the signal from the antenna, is plugged into the antenna on the back window. Apparently the previous owner didn't know that you can't just slap on an antenna and it will work. Unfortunately those days are gone. HTH. -Jim

80

I found this on the listing of model updates: 2005: Several minor mechanical changes are made. Introduction of electronic throttle control moves the cruise control function to the main computer. Steering column replaced with a non-locking design,[5] a new two-spoke steering wheel replaces the one used since 1998. Occupant weight sensors were added to the front seats, allowing the driver to disable the passenger airbag. Outside, the radio antenna is moved out of the rear window and to a mast on the rear fender. So now we know this is probably a factory installation. So now I have to find out how to fix the problem. I was thinking of going to an HD radio.

80

Now I just found that the antenna was moved back into the rear window in the2006 model. So now I do not know why I have a motorized antenna.

72,465

My guess would be either the antenna module has failed or the back window has, at some point, been replaced and the antenna was never hooked up to the antenna module. Does your back window have the two wires (lines) going top to bottom on the glass? If not, the window's been replaced with the wrong one. HTH. -Jim

80

It does have the two wires, I checked the motorised antenna wire to where it goes thru the rear bulkhead. I do not know where the antenna module is. On previous models I have had the module has been attached to the underside of the rear shelf. As I said cant see it and the wire disappears through the bulkhead.

72,465

I'll check my '08 factory shop manual and let you know. That's usually where they are. In the trunk area where you've been looking. HTH. -Jim

72,465

The antenna module is behind the right rear trim panel in the passenger compartment. For poor reception the shop manual basically says to check the rear glass antenna leads first. If they're good then substitute a known good antenna cable, if that doesn't fix it, substitute a known good antenna module, if that doesn't fix it replace the radio. Not very descriptive and the pictures aren't real good but now we know where to look. HTH. -Jim

80

Do I have to remove the back seat to get at it?

72,465

The shop manual doesn't say but I just looked at mine and I'd have to say yes. Also, if you look at the upper corner of the passenger's side back window you should see a small black box. That's what connects the antenna wires on the window to the antenna module. If it's loose or not there, that could be the problem. HTH. -Jim

80

The small black box is there and the antenna wires appear to be securely attached. I will have to pull out the back seat to see what goes where now that I appear to have 2 antenna sources. Cannlot get to it until the weekend though. Thanks

72,465

You're welcome, glad to help. That's a good sign. Let us know how you make out. -Jim

if your intent is not working go to the menu button and hit the auto button turn it on and it should work