Why don't my newly installed fog lights turn on?

130

Asked by Jan 04, 2014 at 07:34 PM about the 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT Crew Cab 4WD

I installed Fore OEM foglights (my 2008 F250 XLT 5.4 V8 4x4) did not come with them.  I ordered Ford OEM fog lights, the wiring harness, and installed.   I plugged in the fog lights to the wiring harness then plugged the wiring harness into the plug located by the driver side headlight in the front of the vehicle.  The lights don't turn on.  I'm trying to figure out why.  Thanks for reading and for your help...

113,325

Did you install a fuse?

130

I checked fuse #21 behind the passenger kickplate and yes there is a fuse 15A fuse. I pulled it out and it is a good fuse...

113,325

Also some models will need a fog light relay also plugged into fuse/relay panel. Check your fuse/relay panels to make sure the fuse and relay are installed.

113,325

Also are your headlights on low beam? Some fog lights will not come on when high beams are selected.

130

I'm actually now thinking that I need to order a new type of switch. To turn on my Excursion fog lights you pull the headlight switch out. My truck does not have this capability. As far as the fuse relay, how do I go about checking that part out?

130

Yes they are on low beam, I checked that out too...

113,325

Look in your owners manual for its location. Most are in an under the hood fuse panel. If you need an owners manual I can get you one I think.

130

I'm guessing that since the 15A fuse is installed in the fuse box that the relay is plugged into the fuse box...I don't know if I'm making cents...

130

I have my manual and located the two areas of the truck where the fuses are. I didn't see anything related to the foglights in the hood compartment fuse box. It is on the passenger side kickplate and the fuse is installed waiting to be used....

130

BTW thank you for helping out...

130

I've read in two places that the foglight install will work on the XLT models on newer years but not the XLs for some reason. Mine is the XLT.

113,325

Check out page 85 of your manual. I believe you are right about the switch. It shows a different type of switch than yours.

Best Answer Mark helpful
130

Thank you, yes I looked at page 85 and I believe I need to purchase the headlight switch with the foglight option and then plug one of the dangling wires under the driver side dash into it.

113,325

Your welcome. I think you are right. Good luck and keep us posted so others can learn from you question. Drive safe.

130

I just ordered the part from Quirk on Ebay: 2008-2010 Ford Super Duty & 2007-2010 Edge Headlight Switch Assembly OEM NEW Item# 190794340521 I'm going to take out the round switch you see in the pic I posted and put this one in it's place and see if that does the trick. I'll keep you posted...Hey thanks so much for your time!

130

The headlight switch with the fog light option is what was needed. The switch arrived today, I installed it, and it worked when I turned on the lights and pulled on the switch to engage the fog lights. Thanks for your help...

130

Here is a pic of the switch installed. Once I unplugged the old switch I heard a beeping alarm (I put my key in the ignition, turned on and then off again, but the alarm continued. I'm not sure if you have to do this but I did). The old switch can be unplugged and then slid out towards the camera through the hole. There are small indentions that must be lined up to slide the plug back in. Pretty east to see if you study the switch and the hole. Just be ginger with the dash so not to make marks with the screwdriver when prying out the switch housing.

130

I ordered the new switch from quirkparts on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190794340521?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 You can order the wiring harness there as well for the headlights if your truck does not come with factory in stalled fog lights.

130

more pics

130

and more

130

more...

130

more...

130

Success!

130

I ordered the OEM fog lights from 1A Auto...

130

Here is the wiring harness I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201006073669?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Umm... I know this has been resolved for a while now but, this is as close as I have gotten with completing my fog light install. Is there anyway possible to get a picture of the plug and the location.

130

Here is the plug with my fog-light wiring harness plugged into it by the front driver's side headlight

Well I don't have that pig tail. Is this possibly just swapping for the right pigtail (one with two plugs for horn and fog light)?

130

You can purchase the wiring harness on e-bay. Otherwise you'll have to wire it together to work. I am the last person in the world you want wiring advice from and that is why I purchased the wiring harness to plug and play; plus it is OEM look and function...otherwise it is chop job....good luck

130

PS There is an empty plug plugged into the plug that your wiring harness plugs into. You can splice the wires and insert them into that empty plug to make it work. I know this because I used that empty plug to make my clearance lights work because my wiring harness came with the wrong plug (pigtail?) at the end. I just cut off the wrong plug and used that foglight plug. I matched the wires by color (there were only two) and it plugged right in so this may work with the wiring you have for your fog lights....hope that made sense...

130

Nevermind I just saw the pic you posted (I wasn't paying attention). If you have a different year model than my 2008 your plug may be in a different location...if it is an XL (mine is an XLT) supposedly this install won't work without adjusting the computer I've read but don't know if this is true...