Asked by Jun 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Montana 1SE Extended

I have a 2002 Pontiac Montana.  The rear (driver's side) tail light won't work even with a new bulb.  When I push the brakes the dash board blinker arrows both light up and the left side blinkers blink quickly until I take my foot off the brake.  I was told this could be the switch or the circuit board?  I am a single mom and the repair shop wants to charge me $100.00/hour to diagnose this.  I have paid them enough money over the years. Hoping someone can give me some honest advice.  Thanks!!

You can try removing/replacing the bulbs and cleaning the electric socket contact nubs with a burnishing tool.You could also try changing the flasher relay (usually located under the dash). But it sounds like you have a wire short or the circuit board problem that was mentioned. Make certain there is no water leaking into the bulbs and sockets from a bad lens gasket. You may need to replace the wiring harness. If you lack experience, you may need to charm a guy or gal who knows what they are doing, or pay the shop. Always remove the battery cable before doing any work on the car.