where to start on upgrade

25

Asked by Jun 19, 2007 at 10:21 PM about the 1983 Ford Mustang GT

I have just bought this convertible.Its in fairly good condition with 60,00 on a rebuilt engine.  I don't want to turn it into a hot rod, I just want to improve the performance. What are the bolt on things that I could do to achieve this.

32,345

Good place to start is a cold air intake. You can find them at lots of sites online.

Thanks. I appreciate the info, I will track one down.

65

how does upgradeing the cold air intake imprve perforance except teh amount of air like installing and k&N or tournado air intake gives you about 15-25 more hourse

1,295

The Tornado is a good wast of cash , esp when used with a fuel injected vehicle . ( kinda like using " platinum vapor" to improve fuel economy ) An upgraded cold air intake , with a good high flow air filter will help allot , and it is fairly cheap.It is an improvement over the restrictive stock air intake. Installing good platinum plugs ( such as NGK, G- power plugs) and good ignition wires will help too. making sure the car is well tuned helps out allot in performance. For a little more money , you could install an under drive pulley system. It replaces stock pulleys run by the serpentine belt , with smaller diameter pulleys to help free up horsepower and it has minimal effect on the charging system ,water pump , and other items run by the serpentine drive belt . You can also go with intake manifold upgrades , as well as throttle body upgrades. Another step , is to upgrade the computer....after you have done any major engine/performance upgrades. I hope this helps out a bit !!