When I turn the key, I get power to lights, radio, and air but the car will not start. No other sounds present to indicate, fuel pump has engaged. No clicking indicating a problem with starter or alternator.

kkey
240

Asked by Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM about the 1996 Acura TL 3.2

topgun2
90

try tapping the starter as sone turns the key may be dead spot ond the com or pre engement solinoid make sure its in nutral phil

kkey
240

ok I will try that! I saw some of the other posts here, that mention the horn/stop fuse. Could that also be causing my problem?

87,175

No clicking means that the starter motor solenoid is not seeing voltage when the key is turned. It could be a bad ignition switch or transmission safety switch. Check the fuses.

Best Answer
topgun2
90

is it auto or manual if auto hold key to start foot brake on and move gear selector about a bit in nuetral and then try again in park as suggest could be inhibitor switch fault if your on your own see if can fond the push in feed to starter solinoid conect test light to it and then try key again if light cames on starteror bad earth if not then wiring . you might be able to put a feed to solinoid but remember if it starts then nake sure in nuetral andnot standing in front of car then if starts you can get it to a garage brst of luck phil

topgun2
90

if manual do the same

kkey
240

Change a fuse and it worked. Thank you guys, very much!! kk

87,175

Glad you found the problem. Now the big question is why did the fuse blow?

shahin27
255

hey KKEY. i have the same problem. which fuse did u change?

darkoM
550

yess. Which fuse did you change?

darkoM
550

Yes, which fuse did you change? I got same problem.

darkoM
550

where's located the transmission safety switch?

Wesley Adkins
60

hello everyone. I had a problem similar to yours and after replacing starter/solenoid, ignition, starter relay and cables, I was so frustrated that I finally decided to tow it to the dealership. For some reason before i did I decided to check the ground cable also. The one from the battery to the block seemed ok and when I grabbed the short one from the block to the frame it was just hanging there loose. That's why it was an intermittent problem. Now all my door locks and alarm systems work great and it starts every time. So check the little stuff first. It pays to be patient

Mandy Carpenter
45

My starter was bad in my 1999 Chrysler town and country 3.8l limited. So I put a new starter in and my van still will not start. But I have power going to the start. If I take a wire from the power source on the starter and touch it to the small metal peace inside the connector plug the starter will kick on. But if I reconnect the plug and try to turn the key it will not start up. If any one can try to help that would be very appreciated. Thank you. AJ

Demarie3
10

Why when you change a ignition starter key does the horn /stop fuse blow and then the car don't start ? We spent the whole day trying to figure it out now even the dealer knew the troubleshooting didn't know nobody knew but the answer center thank you very much!!!

vondfg
50

What fuse did you change can any one help

Friday Eddie Maclean
20

I have a problem.wit accura tl 3.2 1998.when ever am driving my speed wil not pik beyond 40 pls tell me d problem I hav spend money.and.there is always sund when ever I put on revice.pls kindly teel me wht to do.

Guadino
5

Peak at 40 mph problem... Check your timing / distributer cap.

relly123
10

So I have an 08 Chrysler town and country I have power when I turn the key to an on position radio and lights come on just fine but when I try and turn the key to start it's making a click sound very low milienge on the car can anyone help

relly123
10

JN12345
40

Which fuse did you change?

Rocco Nicosia
30

Which fuse genius??? smh

Susan McGrath
0

Did anyone ever find out what FUSE Kkey changed?!?!

amb907
10

Curious what fuse as well. Having the same issue and brought to the mechanic numerous times as well. We've tried replacing everything and still has an issue and its not all the time.

Traci Ray
10

I want to know which fuse as well. Have new battery and electric seems to work when I turn the key, but engine won't turn over, and no clicking it any other noise (except the door-open dinging). Am told it's either the ignition switch, starter solenoid, connections to the aforementioned, or a fuse. Fuses and connections are easiest to check/replace first, needless to say. I'm going to have my car towed to the shop in a few minutes, so if I figure anything out, will post a follow-up. In the meantime, if anyone knows which fuse, please let us know! Thanks!

King Bridges
0

It's probably the main battery fuse

RRivalsguy
10

You can listen to all these answers but bottom line I just had all the same shit happen to me 02 Acura TL no start when I turn the key only one click and all the accessories lights went on full Voltage from the battery I replace the starter fired right up so no need to look for all the other miners shit you have to replace the starter it's an easy fix right by the battery it was accessible without having to lift the car up it was a piece of cake and the part was only $107 if I can do it you can do it

amb907
10

I replaced the starter and other things and still had issues...was told at that point was prob the computer...expensive fix and not worth for that old of a car...mine was a 99..so I solved the prob by leasing myself a new and more importantly SAFE vehicle....good luck everyone!!!

Tangela Clark
0

RRivalsguy, I'm have the same problem as yours! My battery is good just won't start up, I'm not mechanical blessed to fix it, but do you think you could do the job?

Joshua Cox
0

I had to answer this for all of you out there because I've had this problem for six months to a year and just did something that magically worked! I took the key out and suspecting that it was the ignition switch it the heel of my fist on the area around the ignition switch and ignition three times and I put the key in the car started

Juandontplay
10

So what fuse was it .. i had the same problem today

Tl005
30

I had the same problem yesterday morning. I removed the ignition coil fuse and crank the car. Put the fuse back in and the car started. IGN COIL

codeineprincess
15

Heyy I have a 2002 Acura TL S with 360,086 miles went to the store and returned back out in 20 mins. Then tried to start the car and it would not start. Car has a new battery, all the lights are on, (dash, headlights, interior). This happened 6 days ago but a friend came over put it in neutral and moved it off the lawn and into the street. Next, they put the car in neutral turned the key and it came on. After putting in park it started to crank each time. I am not sure how or why it started running fine after that. Here we are 6 days later and now after a run to the store it won't crank all lights are on and when trying to turn the key on in park the d5 is lit up....is that normal? I do slightly hear a clicking noise when trying to crank...

Tl005
30

Okay, the IGN COIL fuse thing was just coincident. It was a bad starter. I didn't suspect it as first. The starter was just replaced with an OEM refurbished unit 6 months ago. Towed it back to dealer. It shows that it was a bad starter. starter replaced and working fine now (crossed fingers). According to tech, apparently the moving the car a little bit by rolling it back and forth could put the starter solenoid in a position where it could engage and crack so sometimes it ends up in a bad spot and will not start.

Joshua Cox
0

Mine was also the starter on 2004 acura rsx

Mariposa6009
10

I just found this thread for the same problem. Changed the fuel pump fuse and the ignition fuse. Both are 15amp small fuses. They were not broken in the middle, but the plug prongs were "crispy" looking. Works okay now. Also changed the fuel pump relay, as older Hondas & Acuras have problem if your car is starting when its cool but not when it is hot outside...this might be the problem (this was first problem). Hope this helps.

Mariposa6009
10

Forgot to mention mine is a 2000 TL

House2go
0

I have a 2005 Acura TL. Just recently I started having trouble starting the car. About two years ago the key fob stop opening the passenger's side door. No big deal. More recently, I stopped opening the driver's side door. It still opens both rear doors and the trunk. Sometimes the car starts, sometimes it doesn't, eventually, I get the car started. I had the battery and starter checked, My husband checked the fuses and wires. Today I tried the valet key and it starts the car every time. I called my local Acura dealer to ask if the chips in the key go bad, of course his answer was to bring the car in. I don't know if the car will continue to start with the valet key, but it's worth a try. They want almost $500.00 to replace the key and program it. When you compare the valet key to the original key, the original key is not as sharp as to the edges as the valet key that has rarely been used. Any ideas or comments? House2go

Sfmedic77
0

starter replaced and working fine now