When I turn the key, I get power to lights, radio, and air but the car will not start. No other sounds present to indicate, fuel pump has engaged. No clicking indicating a problem with starter or alternator.

320

Asked by Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM about the 1996 Acura TL 3.2

140

try tapping the starter as sone turns the key may be dead spot ond the com or pre engement solinoid make sure its in nutral phil

320

ok I will try that! I saw some of the other posts here, that mention the horn/stop fuse. Could that also be causing my problem?

96,195

No clicking means that the starter motor solenoid is not seeing voltage when the key is turned. It could be a bad ignition switch or transmission safety switch. Check the fuses.

Best Answer
140

is it auto or manual if auto hold key to start foot brake on and move gear selector about a bit in nuetral and then try again in park as suggest could be inhibitor switch fault if your on your own see if can fond the push in feed to starter solinoid conect test light to it and then try key again if light cames on starteror bad earth if not then wiring . you might be able to put a feed to solinoid but remember if it starts then nake sure in nuetral andnot standing in front of car then if starts you can get it to a garage brst of luck phil

140

if manual do the same

320

Change a fuse and it worked. Thank you guys, very much!! kk

96,195

Glad you found the problem. Now the big question is why did the fuse blow?

285

hey KKEY. i have the same problem. which fuse did u change?

720

yess. Which fuse did you change?

720

Yes, which fuse did you change? I got same problem.

720

where's located the transmission safety switch?

80

hello everyone. I had a problem similar to yours and after replacing starter/solenoid, ignition, starter relay and cables, I was so frustrated that I finally decided to tow it to the dealership. For some reason before i did I decided to check the ground cable also. The one from the battery to the block seemed ok and when I grabbed the short one from the block to the frame it was just hanging there loose. That's why it was an intermittent problem. Now all my door locks and alarm systems work great and it starts every time. So check the little stuff first. It pays to be patient

85

My starter was bad in my 1999 Chrysler town and country 3.8l limited. So I put a new starter in and my van still will not start. But I have power going to the start. If I take a wire from the power source on the starter and touch it to the small metal peace inside the connector plug the starter will kick on. But if I reconnect the plug and try to turn the key it will not start up. If any one can try to help that would be very appreciated. Thank you. AJ

30

Why when you change a ignition starter key does the horn /stop fuse blow and then the car don't start ? We spent the whole day trying to figure it out now even the dealer knew the troubleshooting didn't know nobody knew but the answer center thank you very much!!!

100

What fuse did you change can any one help

20

I have a problem.wit accura tl 3.2 1998.when ever am driving my speed wil not pik beyond 40 pls tell me d problem I hav spend money.and.there is always sund when ever I put on revice.pls kindly teel me wht to do.

15

Peak at 40 mph problem... Check your timing / distributer cap.

30

So I have an 08 Chrysler town and country I have power when I turn the key to an on position radio and lights come on just fine but when I try and turn the key to start it's making a click sound very low milienge on the car can anyone help

30

50

Which fuse did you change?

40

Which fuse genius??? smh

Did anyone ever find out what FUSE Kkey changed?!?!

20

Curious what fuse as well. Having the same issue and brought to the mechanic numerous times as well. We've tried replacing everything and still has an issue and its not all the time.

30

I want to know which fuse as well. Have new battery and electric seems to work when I turn the key, but engine won't turn over, and no clicking it any other noise (except the door-open dinging). Am told it's either the ignition switch, starter solenoid, connections to the aforementioned, or a fuse. Fuses and connections are easiest to check/replace first, needless to say. I'm going to have my car towed to the shop in a few minutes, so if I figure anything out, will post a follow-up. In the meantime, if anyone knows which fuse, please let us know! Thanks!

It's probably the main battery fuse

20

You can listen to all these answers but bottom line I just had all the same shit happen to me 02 Acura TL no start when I turn the key only one click and all the accessories lights went on full Voltage from the battery I replace the starter fired right up so no need to look for all the other miners shit you have to replace the starter it's an easy fix right by the battery it was accessible without having to lift the car up it was a piece of cake and the part was only $107 if I can do it you can do it

20

I replaced the starter and other things and still had issues...was told at that point was prob the computer...expensive fix and not worth for that old of a car...mine was a 99..so I solved the prob by leasing myself a new and more importantly SAFE vehicle....good luck everyone!!!

RRivalsguy, I'm have the same problem as yours! My battery is good just won't start up, I'm not mechanical blessed to fix it, but do you think you could do the job?

20

I had to answer this for all of you out there because I've had this problem for six months to a year and just did something that magically worked! I took the key out and suspecting that it was the ignition switch it the heel of my fist on the area around the ignition switch and ignition three times and I put the key in the car started

20

So what fuse was it .. i had the same problem today

60

I had the same problem yesterday morning. I removed the ignition coil fuse and crank the car. Put the fuse back in and the car started. IGN COIL

45

Heyy I have a 2002 Acura TL S with 360,086 miles went to the store and returned back out in 20 mins. Then tried to start the car and it would not start. Car has a new battery, all the lights are on, (dash, headlights, interior). This happened 6 days ago but a friend came over put it in neutral and moved it off the lawn and into the street. Next, they put the car in neutral turned the key and it came on. After putting in park it started to crank each time. I am not sure how or why it started running fine after that. Here we are 6 days later and now after a run to the store it won't crank all lights are on and when trying to turn the key on in park the d5 is lit up....is that normal? I do slightly hear a clicking noise when trying to crank...

60

Okay, the IGN COIL fuse thing was just coincident. It was a bad starter. I didn't suspect it as first. The starter was just replaced with an OEM refurbished unit 6 months ago. Towed it back to dealer. It shows that it was a bad starter. starter replaced and working fine now (crossed fingers). According to tech, apparently the moving the car a little bit by rolling it back and forth could put the starter solenoid in a position where it could engage and crack so sometimes it ends up in a bad spot and will not start.

20

Mine was also the starter on 2004 acura rsx

20

I just found this thread for the same problem. Changed the fuel pump fuse and the ignition fuse. Both are 15amp small fuses. They were not broken in the middle, but the plug prongs were "crispy" looking. Works okay now. Also changed the fuel pump relay, as older Hondas & Acuras have problem if your car is starting when its cool but not when it is hot outside...this might be the problem (this was first problem). Hope this helps.

20

Forgot to mention mine is a 2000 TL

I have a 2005 Acura TL. Just recently I started having trouble starting the car. About two years ago the key fob stop opening the passenger's side door. No big deal. More recently, I stopped opening the driver's side door. It still opens both rear doors and the trunk. Sometimes the car starts, sometimes it doesn't, eventually, I get the car started. I had the battery and starter checked, My husband checked the fuses and wires. Today I tried the valet key and it starts the car every time. I called my local Acura dealer to ask if the chips in the key go bad, of course his answer was to bring the car in. I don't know if the car will continue to start with the valet key, but it's worth a try. They want almost $500.00 to replace the key and program it. When you compare the valet key to the original key, the original key is not as sharp as to the edges as the valet key that has rarely been used. Any ideas or comments? House2go

starter replaced and working fine now

For me it was the Ignition switch. As soon as i put the new one on it started right up on the first turn.

today I have figured the problem to this is turn your car off take out the battery there is no need to new one at all the to big bars on each side of the batter might have some corrhante what u wana do is grab a small blade from the nail cutter and try to pell it off slowly not to hard afther that is done put the battery back in nice and tight real tight give the computer system bout 15 min to read the battery sytem then try to turn your car back on and if the radio says code don't worry is right on your insturtion manuel

20

On my 2004 acura tl, the positive side cable splits with one wire going to starter, and the other going somewhere else. I openned the wire up to the Y and found the wires going to the starter corroded. I bought a new terminal, but the connection wasn't great, so I took it to my local battery exchange shop, and he put a terminal that fit the two wires better, and I haven't had a problem starting since. Prior to finding the issue, I did replace the starter, but that did not fix the issue.

I have an Acura 1998 TL the car died during driving on the road. I pulled out on the side, had it towed to my house I figured it was the battery..I replaced it, it won't start..it turns but slow, I thought the alternator, I replaced it as well, again the engine turns slow not fire up and engine turns but slow..I need some help on this please!

same issue...2004 MDX would not start, no noise, battery ok, pulled out fuse #11 driver's insideside..cleaned it off as it looked "dirty" but for sure was not blown....viola! my car started..2xs tested before writing this post

Same thing happened to us...We had a new battery...checked starter, alternator, electrical system. Took it to the dealer, there was a problem with the bluetooth draining the battery. Had the option to remove or repair.

I have a 2009 Acura RDX. I have had it for three years this May. It used to not start about 6 months after I bought the car but thinking that I was doing something wrong and not turning the key the right way. Then it happened periodically every 3-6 months. It has happened within two weeks of each other this past month. Sometimes it is slow to start...sometimes it just won't start but all of the lights come on, and sometimes it just won't catch when it starts. I have taken it in a lot and it won't "break" when it is in the shop. Only on me when I am out and about. Help!

I need help I have a 2001 coupe 2 door. I changed the Ignition out and now it doesn't start.