2007 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe

Asked by Apr 04, 2016 at 06:15 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe FWD

Does anyone know why my 2007 chevy cobalt ls
coupe keeps blowing the ecm/tcm fuses after
installing a new engine and fuel pump.. My car will  
not start it blows fuses as soon as I hook up the
battery which is weird... please help I need my car
to get to work

Sounds like a short somewhere. Examine all your wiring. If a wire is pinched somewhere it might be grounding and causing fuses to blow. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting wires shouldn't cause this type of problem.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Do you think my engine connectors could be bad if all the wiring is fine? The old mechanic who was working on my car couldn't figure out the problem now I haft to take it to a new mechanic which is stressful

Not likely. They are either connected or not. Neither condition would create the sort of short that would blow fuses. Ant they're pretty much impossible to reconnect incorrectly. Getting a second opinion is probably a good idea if your first mechanic has given up. Finding someone who specializes in automotive electrical issues would be ideal.

Does that cost much to have an automotive electrical shop fix it... the old mechanic did say something about might needing a new wiring harness but he doesn't think it's the hold harness that needs to be replaced and a family mechanic said he thinks the old mechanic may have gotten some wires crossed up I just hope this isn't going to be expensive to fix because I put to much money in this car already

Every connector is different so its virtually impossible to get wires crossed up. It's much more likely a pinched or broken wire somewhere that's shorting out. A new wiring harness sounds a bit extreme. Find a shop that specializes in automotive electrical repairs and take it there. If the engine was taken out and put in carefully it shouldn't be too tough to find the problem. I'm assuming that the engine you put in is the same as the one you took out. If not, that's a whole different story.

check the fuse block under the hood, wires that connect to the fuse block can come loose and ground out make sure they are all pushed in all the way. i had a weird short and thats where i found mine

Exact same problem that I have. Changed motor, keeps blowing the same fuse. Code 1682. Runs but limited on power. New ignition switch too from the dealer. Looking for answers????

I am GuruZTBWS from above.. Ok so I found out what happened in my situation. So I removed my engine harness and checked my wiring visually for a short, pinched or broken wires. I found none. Installed the wires one by one and checked the fuse with each sensor. The fuse only blew when I connected the ground cable to the block. So I replaced the computer with a junk yard computer, Matching number of course. Took it to the dealer for a reprogram to the car and it runs fine with no issues. The cause? Well I had mistaken the computer connectors and connected them in the wrong ports. apparently they were color coded inside the connector. So NO not every connector is different. I was use to working on older models with computers when they actually made the connectors different to the computers. Anyway It grounded the computer internally creating a short. Cost to reprogram was $270 because they had to charge me an additional hour to reprogram the security for it to start. Total of two hours at $135 an hour.

Thanks for that info and for correcting me. Weird that GM would design it that way. Great to know.