2007 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe

Asked by Apr 04, 2016 at 06:15 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 2 Dr LS Coupe

Does anyone know why my 2007 chevy cobalt ls
coupe keeps blowing the ecm/tcm fuses after
installing a new engine and fuel pump.. My car will  
not start it blows fuses as soon as I hook up the
battery which is weird... please help I need my car
to get to work

4,235

Sounds like a short somewhere. Examine all your wiring. If a wire is pinched somewhere it might be grounding and causing fuses to blow. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting wires shouldn't cause this type of problem.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Do you think my engine connectors could be bad if all the wiring is fine? The old mechanic who was working on my car couldn't figure out the problem now I haft to take it to a new mechanic which is stressful

4,235

Not likely. They are either connected or not. Neither condition would create the sort of short that would blow fuses. Ant they're pretty much impossible to reconnect incorrectly. Getting a second opinion is probably a good idea if your first mechanic has given up. Finding someone who specializes in automotive electrical issues would be ideal.

Does that cost much to have an automotive electrical shop fix it... the old mechanic did say something about might needing a new wiring harness but he doesn't think it's the hold harness that needs to be replaced and a family mechanic said he thinks the old mechanic may have gotten some wires crossed up I just hope this isn't going to be expensive to fix because I put to much money in this car already

4,235

Every connector is different so its virtually impossible to get wires crossed up. It's much more likely a pinched or broken wire somewhere that's shorting out. A new wiring harness sounds a bit extreme. Find a shop that specializes in automotive electrical repairs and take it there. If the engine was taken out and put in carefully it shouldn't be too tough to find the problem. I'm assuming that the engine you put in is the same as the one you took out. If not, that's a whole different story.

check the fuse block under the hood, wires that connect to the fuse block can come loose and ground out make sure they are all pushed in all the way. i had a weird short and thats where i found mine