1997 Acura Integra barely accelerates from stop. Why won't it rev up when in gear?

10

Asked by Apr 13, 2014 at 08:33 PM about the 1997 Acura Integra LS Sedan FWD

1997 Acura Integra 1.8L Auto Trans, when accelerating from a stop, the engine will not
rev up. With the pedal pushed nearly to the floor the car will vary slowly accelerate,
eventually once it gets to approx 3000 rpms it finally starts to create power and will
accelerate down the road. If I manually down shift it to nearly a stop but keep the rpms up
it will keep on accelerating back up again, but if I stop and let the engine come to an idle
it starts the process again barely able to get out of its own tracks. I've checked the
throttle position sensor (TPS) and the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, the
circuit from the TPS to the transmission control unit (TCU) and the transmission
solenoids and all test just fine. The engine idles kinda low (approx 600-700 rpm) and
seems to rev up a little slow even when in park, but as soon as you put it in gear, it will
barely rev up and move the vehicle. Also, the Trans does up-shift pretty hard. Oh, and I
changed the fuel filter. I pulled trouble codes with my scanner and I'm getting P0700 and
P1790, the scanner states both are Trans related but I'm a little skeptical. What in the
world is wrong with this stupid car?

15

speed sensor can be the culprit

21,485

breathing problem, check air in and air out, Well exhaust out. mas air flow up front, throttle plate, and clogged converter on other end

10

Ok,I'm happy to announce that my son and I were able to diagnose the problem and solve the problem. After screwing around waisting my time with tranny fault codes and the like, I did a little more research looking into Integra's with engine bogging problems and found several guys that had changed everything from spark plugs and cam gear sensors to complete distributor changes in order to solve the same damn problem. So, I checked the timing and low-n-behold it was quite a bit on the retarded side of TDC, and when I went to adjust the timing I found that it wouldn't adjust far enough. Well, to make a long story even longer, we found that the timing belt had jumped one tooth on the cam gear, the same cam the distributor is attached to. So we pulled off the valve cover very carefully slipped the belt off the cam gear and turned it one tooth in the right direction and placed it back on the gear (not exactly easy if your not holding your mouth right, let me tell you), buttoned it all back together and now the thing runs like a raped ape!!!!!