this is concerning the answere to my question about my 1997 acura cl 3.0

Asked by Oct 21, 2013 at 09:20 AM about the 1997 Acura CL 3.0 FWD

my 1997 acura cl 3.0 is having a low idle problem and the computer code is telling me
that the crankshaft sensor isnt working and yes its pluged in but would the motor be able
to run without it and i forgot to mention i was lucky there was no damage to the motor
cause my son was driving it when the belt snapped and the car died so i had to do it all
from the begining any ideas.

115,105

Have you done a compression check on it? I believe that engine is an interference engine and when belt broke it could have bent some valves.

8,650

When you have a hard fault code written down, you can clear the memory and see if it resets. Once you verify it as a repeating hard fault, you must run the pinpoint tests to complete your diagnosis. If you have a sound base engine and your idle problem persists, you can also clean your throttle body and the idle air bypass. Replace components that look amiss in the plumbing and clean out the ones you can. A manifold vacuum test at idle would be low and keep dropping as it warmed up if you had a plugged or blocked catalyst. The vacuum gauge would exhibit other unusual indications if you have valves out of spec or leaking from your belt issue before. Compression readings can help indicate what cylinder(s) are affected. Usually, honda/ acura engines bend 4 exhaust valves while being cranked with the belt detached. That was when you first started diagnosing it.

8,650

These issues are avoided by preventative maintenance with factory parts by a trained tech, according to the vehicle's maintenance schedule considering also how it is driven and treated.