Headlights, purpose of halogen bulbs

55

Asked by Jun 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM about the 2008 Volkswagen R32 Base

Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of the halogen bulb located close to the Xenon one, I tried everything and
only the Xenon light up, the halogen seems to be there just for filling the volume (noticed the same on my bosse's
Q7) ?

620

the only think i can think of is they come on when the xexon bulb burns check the owners manual or call the volkswagen service dpt and see if one of the techs knows

25

Pull on the light switch. The fog lights should turn on.

if they are not coming on they are blown,replace them theu may be daytime running lights,if you do replace, DONT tuch the bulb it will blow once power is on.

55

I thought they were the DRL's but the DRL's are actually the Xenon bulbs as well. Don't think they are blown, the car is brand new and no fog lights on the R32 (no room due to the large size of the 3.2FSI engine in the front bay)... weird

25

The engine is not FSI

45

holy crap people. the halogens are for when your lights arent on (DRL are on) to high beam people (to let someone go) so not to blind them, having HIDs all the time on will burn the,.. vag-com it or euro switch it.. your 300$usd light bulb will thank you

9,625

I am not sure about your model VW, but I have the same on my Beetle and the halogens are used for the high beams.

75

I think you've got it right here.

35

The Halogen bulbs in the inner reflector are used for the flash-to-pass function, but only if the lights are off. Now this is confusing because the DRLs are the HIDs so technically, the lights are always on. However, if the other lights (i.e. dash, parking, etc.) are off such as during the day or with the light switch in the off position, the Halogens will be used if you pull back on the turn signal stalk. At night or with the light switch in the on position, the Halogens are not used. Find someone local with VAG-COM and have them code your car to UK and then you can enable the Halogens as additional high beams and truly light up the night.

If you have the euro switch it's used as parking lights!!!!!!!!!

David is 100% correct!

5

I pressed VW pretty hard on this. The halogens ONLY work when the handbrake is on or the engine is off. The 'flash-to-pass' feature the manual says you have ... isn't. Apparently the halogens can only be used if the car's re-coded as European, and there are several options for this.