I tore out the insulation near the belt because it was touching it. Do I need to replace that old insulation?

Asked by Aug 16, 2015 at 04:38 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

I want to know how necessary is it to have that insulation in the engine area?  I noticed
that it was old and beginning to get too close to the belt, I was afraid of it causing a fire.

58,965

If you're talking about the hood insulation it's there to prevent the hood from getting too hot and blistering or discoloring the paint. HTH. - Jim

Thanks Jim! But this is actually in the engine compartment on the right side where the flywheel is. Help!

4,235

Also mostly for heat and not critical to replace. Engine placement dictated added insulation to keep heat and noise out of the passenger area. If the noise or heat bothers you, replace it. otherwise, you should be fine with what you have done.