I was cleaning the side of my door on my 1986 Fiero when I tripped the door latch. How do I release it so the door will close?

Asked by Aug 16, 2013 at 01:01 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

I can't shut the door on my Fiero because I tripped the latch when I was wiping down the outside edge of the door.

Take a Phillips screw driver and stick it into the door where the lock post would normally be if the door was closed and locked properly. Use the "shaft" of the screwdriver to act as the "latch post" that the door lock mechanism normally secures itself to. Then "hit the unlock button" or "pull the handle" (as if letting yourself out) while applying a slight amount of pressure (with the screwdriver shaft) to let the door lock tab "open" or "release".

Thanks....I took my car to my mechanic and that is exactly what he showed me how to fix it...thanks again!