mANUAL TRANSMISSION wont shift into any gear

20

Asked by May 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

it was alway tough to get into reverse last time I dorve it I could not get into reverse then next day I drove a few mile when I was parking I got it into reverse but the it would only go into reverse but not any other gears I worked on it with only an adjustable wrench and a tire oron I got it working  when I got home I parked put it in reverse easily today it would not go into any gears

295

Which fiero do you have? Will it not even grind gears? If it grinds but won't engage, check clutch fluid. The fiero has a hydraulic clutch that can be kind of a pain. Mine just had an issue with that and reverse can be easier to engage than the other gears, especially since mine at least seems to have a lockout on the lower gears. If it won't even grind, grab a buddy and have him move the shiftter around and see what happens on the other end of the cables. Make sure the shift and select arms are moving properly. If not, might be bad shift or select are or bad cables.

20

it's a 86 fiero se 5 spd getrage transmission when I manually shift from transmission its self it will work until I put it in reverse I checked all the cable and they work smoothly when disconnected I will try what you said and see if that helps thank,s for your response I really apriciated

2,905

sounds like a clutch problem, could have a leak in either clutch master/ slave cylinder or the line, or broken clutch plate

Hi I have a 86 fiero gt with a 5 speed manual tranny it works.fine.and stuffb but seems.like when.it gets hot tranny wony.shift it grinds and it frustrates me.cuz I have to turn.it.off and.put.it.into gear any.help on what can.it be will be gladly apreciated thank you