engin swaps

Asked by Sep 28, 2009 at 08:49 PM about the 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

just a quickey. i have a 1986 pontiac fiero 2m4. 2.5l iron duke. i have been informed that the bell housing of this engin bolts up to a small block. but i also have a passion for chevy 4.3l v6. i was wondering if this was true that i could put a chevy 4.3 into thid cradle. it should fit in all aspecs because it is only 3 clyinders long not 4, and not much wider than the 2.8l that is also found in this car, also tdo you think that this tranny will be abble to handle the 180-220 horse and 240-270 torque. and if so. would i be better off putting a carb or fuel injection into this application.

10

swap a 3.8 supercharged motor from like a grand prix gtp or somethin, you go dropping the v8 in that your gonna twist that frame, the 4.3 vortec good motor but Go with the 3.8 supercharged... but really though it is all up to you are you looking to beat the shit out of it or cruise, cruise go with the 4.3 vortec ya wanta beat the piss outa it and go performance go 3.8 sc... also that tranny is ok.

IM GONA DO BOTH BUT IM A BIG FAN OF 4.3 I HAVE A COUPLE SITING AROUND AND I HAVE A PRO CHARGER I JUST MAY ADD TO IT BUT THE BIGGEST THING WAS IF THE TRANNY WILL HOLD AND IF IT WILL BOLT UP. I HAVE NEVER DELT WITH I4 TO V6 SWAPS FOR A FWD TRANNY. MOAST MY WORK IS ALL REAR WHEEL DRIVE AND ALSO IM LOOKING AT SOMETHING MY GIRL FRIEND CAN HANDLE. SHE ISNT MUCH AT BEING ABBLE TO "DRIFT" LOL. AND PLUS PARTS ARE CHEAP FOR 4.3 AND THERE EASY TO BUILD UP. IVE MADE A 900HP 4.3 SC NO NITRUS. JUST DONT NO SHIT ABOUT THE AUTO FWD TRANNYS.

35

the fiero transmission will not bolt up to a small block with out an adapter plate, i don't know if the 4.3 will. if your not doing hard launches and stuff like that the trany should last. for fuel injection or carbs i would say go with what ever is you skill level, cabs need to be cleaned and tuned every now and then and fuel injection has a lot of wires so its hard to put in. i think you really need to ask yourself what you building the car to do.

25

I have two friends that installed 4.3's into there fiero's. The first guy did his years and years ago and now has turned into a turbo intercooled 4.3, the other has a stock running setup, both are running through a manual tranny. I can tell you this, if your going to do this swap do it right and do not cut corners. You will need to upgrade several things just do it right the first time. Good luck.

10

what upgrades? just got without choice two 1985 2m4