1984 fiero swaps

Asked by Oct 14, 2012 at 09:18 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero Base

I was wondering if there are any other transverse transmissions that are compatible with the RWD 1984 pontiac fiero or are 85-88 the only fiero thats can be modded

295

The 84 can be modded just like the 85-88. There aren't many good options though unless you just want to increase the number of gears you have. If you are looking to do an engine swap and want more power, the '84 is a decent trans for the job. The 4 speeds that were paired with the v6 (1985 fieros) were even better as they were a stronger version of the same trans. The 5 speed getrag is often regarded as the holy grail of fiero transmissions since it is fairly strong and has 5 speeds. For alternatives, you can pull a 6 speed from a pontiac g6 or pretty much any trans you want depending on how much work you want to put in. The 6 speed is one of the more common swaps I am aware of although I wouldn't see a good reason why you couldn't put in almost any trans, especially as part of an engine swap. If you just want more speeds and no swap, you're more limited because you will have to match your bell housing pattern or deal with an adapter plate and spacing and... ya just get the right bell housing and save yourself the headache. A list of compatable transmissions can be found here: http://fierosails.com/TransMan.html If you want an auto you make me sad and I honestly don't know what the options are for keeping the correct bell housing. One thing to note on putting a FWD trans into the fiero is some of them are not fully compatible and will require some extra hardware to make them fit properly. Hope that helps!