car vibrates when driving

Asked by Apr 11, 2016 at 05:32 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

my 2002 c5 base model vibrates when i start driving you feel it going 20 30
40 mph so on. it doesnt vibrate constantly it just does it when accelerating. i
had a new harmonic balancer put on due to the old one wobbling never
had this problem with the old harmonic balancer but after the new one got
put on i noticed the car vibrarting as soon as i left the shop took it back and
they said it could be that the new harmonic balancer was defective.

74,765

Ya, sounds like it is in the harmonic balancer yet, especially if you noticed it right away. Make sure they put the bolt back in on the end of the crank shaft to hold the balancer true.

So even tho it's new harmonic balancer it could be that it was. Defective part? Is there any possibility that it's something else even tho I've never had this problem with the old harmonic balancer?

74,765

When the car is running, can you see it wobble? The thing is you noticed it right away. It didn't shake before?

The old balancer wobbled before but when driving you didn't feel a vibration so I bought a new balancer due to it wobbling with the new balancer on it doesn't wobble but when you drive you feel a vibration. Mechanic is saying everything the new balancer is probably defective.

74,765

It sounds like the old balancer needed to be replaced, I use to make them, it is possible the new balancer is not balanced correctly as they are mass produced. The problem has to be right there since you noticed it right away. The vibration is in the front of the engine? There are other things that could cause a vibration.

I feel it in my seats when it vibrates and like I said I've never felt this before and I could go 10 mph and I'll feel it it goes away accelerate some more it vibrates then goes away. I don't feel any vibration while it idles only while accelerating.

258,045

Have your mechanic swap in another one balancer, surprised they didn't suggest it. Also have them check the motor mounts.

Yea since I bought the balancer myself and took it to a shop they want more money to swap another one but I'll say something about the motor mounts and see what they'll do about swapping it out. It has to deal with the balancer since it never happened before but thanks for the advice man I appreciate it

74,765

One other thing to check since you mention that you feel it in the seats is the torque converter bolts, and look for a cracked flex plate, along with the u-joints, so have the drive shaft checked out also. There is a drive shaft coupler that is made of a softer material other than steal. Then there is the rear axle shafts. All these things can cause a vibration that you feel in the seat. Best just inspect the drive line as any one of these things can be cause for an expensive repair if not caught at an early stage.

16,035

Several thing can be wrong. Tire balance? Tire conditions, age or damage can let the core go lose. bent rim? Tie rod ends bad? Mine when out and above 50 mph it vibrated very bad until it got above 60+. Start wit balance, and check the rims. Check tire bearings, and tie rod ends.

10

anyone check for a misfire?