Can't find oil specified in O manual

Asked by Oct 15, 2008 at 02:44 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

My owner's manual states specifically "use only an oil that meets GM standard, GM4718"-- but no one carries it.  The dealership suggested I show my owner's manual to the auto parts store and they would hook me up.  The guy read every label of oil they carry, made a phone call, then sold me two quarts of SAE 5w30.  The label says it meets GM standards for some other number and I don't know if I should use it.  Can someone give me some guidance with finding the right oil?  Thanks for the help!

365

Mobil 1 Synthetic

165

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30

10,345

OE is Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30, although any full synthetic will work just fine.

8,455

No...no...noooo... Pour some nitrogenous bases into your crankcase (corrosive ash), because that's what you just told him to do. Break in oil requires more zinc not non-synthetic... I know that is contrary to what many think but it's a myth. Granted Mobil 1, and almost every other oil, recently decreased the amount of ZDDP due to a change in SAE standard, which makes them less effective at during break in and can lead to increased CAM wear. Mobil 1 is probably the best easily available oil out there, but is expensive at a quick lube location. If your doing it yourself get it at walmart, it isn't that expensive. If you want an oil with a higher ZDDP count, Brad Penn is what I'd recommend but can be tricky to get. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple motorcylce oils have higher ZDDP, but have irregular centerline flow rates and can lead to bearing wear. Google zinc and oil if you want to find out a little more... As for the Vette, it uses 5W30 like almost every other GM vehicle.

245

...I don't understand, he's not breaking in his car... Although yes, buy your oil at Walmart, even if you're having a shop do the change.

8,455

The break in comments were directed at the guy I responded to, who spewed some crap about using conventional since a synthetic won't let the engine break in or some bull crap along those lines... He seems to have removed his post though. I probably should have spent a little more time on topic, but I posted mostly to rant on the other guy.... Which now that his post is gone leaves mine looking foolish, but o well... maybe someone will learn from it.

1,105

yep id use Mobil 1 5W30 for sure... its got a blue lable says 5W30 and do the oil change yourself and save yourself 70 bux... basically 5w30 for everything GM does... hell i use it in my mustang (dont rant at me ... i could use 5W20 but last time i switched i lost my lower intake and it cost me 3000 bux... related or not im stickin to the more expensive 5w30) hell at least im not paying for 15w50 haha...

165

Not many people know about this, but it's especially true if you've re-built an old engine. We just had a 1963 Ford FE390 re-built and were told only to Brad Penn in it from now on! You can find the Brad Penn stuff at a wholesale lubricant distributor, and they usually make you buy it by the case.

35

There are a number of GM standard oils besides Mobil 1. I use Pennzoil Platinum.