my 1990 lumina euro w/ 3.1 starts and idles but wants to die when I give it gas.

30

Asked by Jun 01, 2013 at 07:32 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr Euro Sedan

My lumina starts & seems to idle ok, but it cuts out & wants to die when I give it
gas, or put in gear & try to drive it. I've replaced the crankshaft position sensor, fuel
pump,  fuel pump relay, throttle position sensor, idle air control valve, & map
sensor. All on a mechanichs advice after he scanned it. The only code he came up
with was an o2 sensor. Which he said couldn't be causing my problem. Please
Help!!!!!!!

78,025

Was the O2 code for a lean condition? Have you replaced the fuel filter yet? Check the fuel pressure regulator.

30

Yes I've replaced the fuel filter. Where is the fuel pressure regulator?

78,025

On the fuel rail, on the engine under the engine cover. I show 2 styles 1 will have a black top the other will be silver.

1,285

I too have a 1990 Lumina Euro Coupe... your car, like mine, is OLD... rubber and plastic rots and cracks over time..... your car is due..... check for a vacuum leak..... it's the most overlooked test, and a good mechanic can tell you a lot about the health and well being of your engine, with the proper use of a vacuum gauge. You may be able to borrow one from Autozone if you want to check it yourself. It's call a MityVac... you can Google it... and while you're at it, check out a YouTube or two, to see what I'm talking about. The problem you're having, is typical of a good Vacuum leak. Your vacuum should be steady anywhere from 17 to 21 Hg (inches of mercury)...... Your Haynes manual has a couple of pages about Vacuum testing, and shows readings, and explanations...... here's a handy reference as well....... http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/vacuum2.htm ....... Here's a quote from a website..... "Vacuum Gauge" "Though little understood, the vacuum gauge is probably the best single indicator of your engine's health you can get. "....... even if it doesn't solve your problem..... it's a good test to do on your OLD engine..... while working on your engine, clean it up real good, and inspect every vacuum line and fitting you can find...... don't miss the line that goes to a Vacuum reservoir under your drivers side front fender.... it often cracks..... there are a bunch of joints around the cruise control solenoid... check those good..... some of the lines are cover with a spiral wire harness.... use your Eyes and your Ears while checking things out..... listen for unusual Hisssssing sounds..... and inspect every wire as well..... and when your done there... inspect every piece of rubber under the car, the engine mounts, subframe bushings.... etc... Trust Me on this! Good Luck!

10

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the sensor on the radiator. That stupid sensor had two probes in it one for temperature, and one for water level in the radiator. When it goes bad it will make the computer think that the car has no water in the radiator and it will let you crank it up but as soon as you put the car in gear it will die. Trust me just change it, you will see some corrosion on it and probably a loose probe. Also some of the replacement parts have only one probe......... Hope this helps BakerBoy.